Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mechanics - South East (close to Orpington)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:14 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Mechanics - South East (close to Orpington) Reply with quote

Hi,

Someone pulled out on me today. They are being pretty fair, they've admitted liability and given the circumstances*, I'd rather not go through insurance. I would like to know of any garages/mechanics that are willing to price up my broken bits and also check out the front end which took the brunt of the hit.

I know the disks are now warped, the mudguard is broken and it feels heavy as shit to turn... so somethings not right.

Obviously if cost exceeds what they are willing to pay, they are liable so its not an issue but is rather save the hassle.

*sister of work colleague who I work closely with. Don't wanna rape insurance when its not needed.

Any local mechanics willing to have a look, paid for obviously. Was purely a 15-25mph bump, but for safety, I'd rather have it checked.

Cheers!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:43 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not totally on your doorstep, but not a million miles away, Mark Holden Motorcycles in Bromley.

Only place I trust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep Mark Holden Motorcycles is the best!
28 Chantry Ln, Bromley BR2 9QL
020 8464 4400

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Erith and would still only take my bike to Mark Holden.

£80 for a valve clearance check. Everyone else wanted £140+!

Only issue I can *think*of is taht the last time I used him Mark wasn't VAT registered. That might make the insurers fidget and not want to use him.

Best give him a call. Very nice chap!

EDIT - Just checked up on the website. Seems he is now insurance approved!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:32 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't intend to insurance job it, unless its absolutely necessary. Essentially at most I'd want a front end check over.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warped disks, heavy steering?

Sounds more like bent forks.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:37 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos required.

Their willingness to settle privately might well change when they hear some prices. Laughing

Does the car show on the MIB website as being insured?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:12 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Photos required.

Their willingness to settle privately might well change when they hear some prices. Laughing

Does the car show on the MIB website as being insured?

Vehicle and driver are 100% legit.

Photo doesn't show any damage to my bike, nothing looks fudged.

https://i.imgur.com/OVNhEMi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cCZ17lFl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Mtr80Qd.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:26 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weak point is always the forks. You wouldn't be able to warp the disks from a frontal collision without bending them. Rwu they bend at the yoke, on usd I imagine they bend at the bottom.

I also wouldn't discount twisted fork/yoke geometry. Undo the clamps on the yokes and bounce the front up and down a load of times and then tighten it back up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:37 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Props to Shaft for coming to take a look/ride.

Is gonna want some disks and a steering damper, I'll remove it first but it's pennies to replace with OEM.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The weak point is always the forks. You wouldn't be able to warp the disks from a frontal collision without bending them. Rwu they bend at the yoke, on usd I imagine they bend at the bottom.

I also wouldn't discount twisted fork/yoke geometry. Undo the clamps on the yokes and bounce the front up and down a load of times and then tighten it back up

Couldn't find any problem with the forks - no signs of any stress marking, twisting in the yokes or leaking seals, They bounce true with no stiction and the bike rides all square.

The only peculiar thing is the steering, which is fine rolling but way too heavy stationary. Get the front wheel off the deck and it feels fine, goes from lock to lock smoothly, no notchiness or any indication of drag or fouling. I can only conclude something has happened to the steering damper, the only way to test that is disconnect it, but I didn't have any tools on me.

And there is definitely a problem with the brakes, which pulse like mad. I ran a straight edge across the friction surfaces and they seem fine, but there is an issue. Judging by the bit that's snapped off the mudguard, the possibility is that the O/S disc has had a clout and bent across it's mounting points, but visually it seems good.

It was a relatively low speed impact, under 20mph by the sound of it, so I can't imagine there's too much wrong, those forks look like you could hammer foundation piles in with them!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:57 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you knock up some sort of indicator to check runout?

A pencil and some tape on the fork leg would do.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:15 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly but it's bare hassle to get off the floor. Easier to simply order new disks and fit them Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:56 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would lend you my stands but you're in Kent...

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:24 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm over in Tunbridge Wells if you need anything for the repair, stands, tools whatever.

Work in Orpington so if you need anything give me a shout and I'll bring it with me to work and drop it off with you aslong as it can fit in a backpack Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 274 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1