BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1971 Yamaha Yds7 running issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dorasnora
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:51 - 21 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

=D got a Haynes manual, that's what I was reading!

Thank you. Hubby came home, pointed me in the right direction and I've done it! Happy me.

I have my shopping list of plugs, points, washer, bolts etc to keep on top of maintenance. The lovely guys at The Motorcycle Works in Peterborough are helping me out (one tried to kidnap my bike, as he saw it the day I did and wished he'd bought it... I got there first!!)

Thinking with the miles I do I'll be OK with an oil change each spring and just top it up through the year.

Sue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my little Teffs worth. These things are really critical on ignition timing, (especially f you are using all the revs). Our local bike shop (Queenies on Broad St Salford) had a rig for setting them up.
It consisted of a Head clamp(!!!) to hold the mechanics head absolutely still as he set the points gap. Cant remember the term for it, but if you move around you can set the timing marks off enough to make them too advanced / retarded. Oh the fun of replacing holed pistons.... Not me, I saw sense and bought Honda!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bollocks. I never even used a dial gauge on my YR5, just a cheapo height gauge and a timing light. No holed pistons in 8k and I’m not shy about revving things to oblivion. I think I checked the timing twice in that time.

Dorasnora
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:11 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I have a Haynes manual, a downloaded 1970s Yamaha service manual, a box of stuff coming from Yambits tomorrow, I work in a garage with biker and ex biker techs and a lovely friendly bike repair place near week, and a hubby who's a pretty fine mechanic and engineer but knows bog all about bikes (I know more than he does!)

There is also you guys, and YouTube! I have ordered a timing gauge thingy from Yambits.

Love riding it.... Confidence is coming back after 18 years off a bike, and I rode to work (48 mile round trip) yesterday (yeah... I KNOW, I've got aircon in my car...)

Need to join a club or find some people near by for a ride out.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to the Motorcycle Works (Peterborough right?) then I think that's where teh journos from Practical Sportbike often hang out. I'm sure they will help you link up with some fellow riders. Spoke to Alan Seeley once - seemed like a decent sort.

Cheers

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Dorasnora
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:42 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
If you're going to the Motorcycle Works (Peterborough right?) then I think that's where teh journos from Practical Sportbike often hang out. I'm sure they will help you link up with some fellow riders. Spoke to Alan Seeley once - seemed like a decent sort.

Cheers

Yup, Motorcycle Works in Peterborough.
Gary keeps trying to steal my bike! He and Pete have been lovely, really helpful and am taking it back for a tyre change at the end of the summer.

Got plugs, points etc, ready. As the bike is running lovely at the moment I'm not tempting fate, but will change them, clean carbs etc late winter so ready for the good weather in spring!

=D

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:03 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorasnora wrote:

Got plugs, points etc, ready. As the bike is running lovely at the moment I'm not tempting fate, but will change them, clean carbs etc late winter so ready for the good weather in spring!

=D

In my experience they run best when ridden and not babied. A general service once a year should be fine. If you have any issues then i'd expect it'll be coils or charging system but there are easy solutions for those.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2