Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevoriv
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
Need some no-impact cardio recommendations.

Recovering from SLAP repair (shoulder keyhole) and arm will be fully out of the sling at the end of next week. Meant to be running a half marathon in September so need to start doing something so that my fitness doesn't fall off a cliff. I'm walking to the station most mornings and evenings but would appreciate any ideas for some higher intensity exercises.

Only thing I can think of so far is to get a trainer for my bicycle and cycle upright.

I had keyhole in my shoulder last year. I found that i was able to run pretty soon after and the movement of running was good for my shoulder as its just back and forth with no weight on it. Did a marathon 8 months after my surgery, started training 4 months after the op.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just did a 40 mile bicycle ride either side of midday Shocked

got a string of PB's, will keep getting strings of PB's each time I ride an old route for the first time on my new bicycle though

I did struggle with the heat, drank the entire litre of fluids I took with me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:08 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struggling to hit my macro targets everyday -

with my current daily diet of:

shake in morning 9am
pasta lunch 12:30
skyr yoghurt snack 3:00
almonds (snack throughout day a few each time)
powerbar before gym 6:30 (this is something like 800Kcal and 40Carb too...)
tuna sandwich after gym 8:30 (ish)
post workout shake 8:30

im struggling to hit my calorie and carb intake, and im well clear of fats

calorie aim is 2300, im around 2000
carb is 240, im around 130
protein 170, hitting it.
fat 70, im around 15

should i just be eating more wholewhat pasta? or can i literally afford to have a few double cheeseburgers and skip the powerbar hahah! (jokes)

advice appreciated

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the bicycle back out. Strava said the last time was 2014 but after a health check I needed to do something. Bejesus am I unfit. Did 7 miles and I felt sick, wobbly legs, light headed.
Gonna stick with it though, try to get a bit fitter and lose some weight. Thought about every other day, try and do a little bit more each time.

OGR

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Got the bicycle back out. Strava said the last time was 2014 but after a health check I needed to do something. Bejesus am I unfit. Did 7 miles and I felt sick, wobbly legs, light headed.
Gonna stick with it though, try to get a bit fitter and lose some weight. Thought about every other day, try and do a little bit more each time.

OGR

It's shocking how quickly poor health and fitness can sneak up on you if you're pretty inactive. And how hard it is to get yourself going again. I've been trying off and on for the last couple of years. Sometimes feels like I'm getting somewhere, sometimes not.

Not doing too bad at the moment. I can't cycle due to a dodgy knee, but i can walk. I have a 25 minute "sprint walk" I do, a longer one I've just started - about 6-7 miles, although not doing that one regularly yet. And I do other exercises at home, including up and down the stairs a lot - I started to do that because last time I tried climbing a hill in the Lake District, my heart went a bit crazy Shocked So I want to be able to get back to walking the fells - that's my motivation.

It's tricky to find good cardio-vascular exercise that you can build on slowly when you can't cycle or run though. The stairs one works well for that, although again, I have to be a bit careful of my knee. Just hoping it will improve as the muscle strengthens around it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep it is shocking how quick it happens. My last Strava was 42 miles avg 15mph and I was ok. It just creeps up on you and I hate the feeling. Still, no one to blame but me so if its to change I'll just have to get down and do it.

OGR.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:34 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody lost any significant weight? I'm looking to lose at least 4 stone. Ideally I want to lose the weight by Christmas, cutting out crisps, sweets, chocolate and biscuits is prerequisite. I am forced to look at myself quite harshly as a similar built mate of mine has keeled over and had a stent fitted last week.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Anybody lost any significant weight? I'm looking to lose at least 4 stone. Ideally I want to lose the weight by Christmas, cutting out crisps, sweets, chocolate and biscuits is prerequisite. I am forced to look at myself quite harshly as a similar built mate of mine has keeled over and had a stent fitted last week.

Yeah, I'm 13 stone (was 12) down from 16. Basically I hiked, a stupid amount, and ate less. Took me about 6 months to lose 3 stone.

The last stone, was me just pushing it, watching every last morsel that I ate and doing lots of excercise, but I don't like doing that. So, I'm usually at 13 stone.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I should be 12 flat. I'm 15 stone 11, so 4 stone off will do me proud. Thanks for the advice.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, Kcal figures on packets can be up to 20% out either way, and some food is absorbed by the body more than others. EG. Almods, 170kcal serving, the body would absorb 129kcal.

Assess nutritional intake over a week rather than a day.

According to an article in the latest edition of Men's Health.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

went for it tonight on the time trial, still don't have cycling shoes or cleats, got trail running shoes and toe clips/straps

got an average speed of over 21mph on an 11mile course, despite in the first mile I had to adjust a strap and faff around trying to put my glasses on as I realised I'd forgotten to put them on

bib shorts and top helped a little, no flapping around like the mtb shorts and singlet did, new bike helped a lot, and I did also put some effort in

Finished in the middle of the leader board tonight instead of near the bottom.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started up C25K last week to try to make some progress with running, after two knee injuries I don’t want to push myself too far too fast. So I joined up my local gym to do some cross training and cycling to strengthen my knees.

Does anyone run with headphones? Are there any recommended bluetooth ones that any of you use? Also, the bone conducting headphones - worth it or not?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 mile hilly race yesterday. I ate lunch toooo late so it was not good. Had to stop several times belching and not run half as fast downhill. Should have been a couple minutes quicker!

Used up 5 sessions of physio without much improvement however reading quite a lot, my lower leg pain and cramp are caused by bad form and too much power in my calves, while also having lazy hamstrings,

Read a bit about fasciatomy as a surgical fix. Not great success rate, not a certain fix, moves the problem elsewhere.

The better option is to fix running form and the certain way to do that is to greatly reduce distance and run barefoot until my form improves.

Last edited by kramdra on 00:22 - 03 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Also, the bone conducting headphones - worth it or not?

IMO bone conducting ones are only worth it, if you are thinking of entering races/fun runs/marathons etc that have rules about headphones

many events ban headphones, some allow bone conducting ones, cos safety etc

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Core last night, squats, sit ups, press ups, dips, plank etc

Midday cycled 30 miles, and tonight ran 11 miles with a 2 mile cool down walk, free physio consultation at my run club, even if it was in a public park 😁 verdict, Achilles tendeopathy is not serious, plenty of movement and flexibility, no reason i shouldn't run, showed me some excercises

Still battling overeating, I'm a very healthy weight, i just struggle to eat as well as i should and drop a bit of body fat

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:33 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

16% body fat down to 14% in 5 week bootcamp. 1 week to go before fesitval lets hope its sunny ha Very Happy

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trained last night.
Just light training, got a little bit of a sweat on, it shows me just how unfit I really am Sad .
Doing some stretches, a warm up and some combinations (boxing).
Still it’s better than sitting in front of the telly Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just managed my first hour-long workout since starting exercising again in earnest a couple of months ago Very Happy
Bearing in mind this is with a smashed arm and shoulder and cracked vertebrae where I never followed up on the the initial assessment Rolling Eyes
I'm quite pleased with myself, especially as my gammy arm has now got to the point where it'll sustain a few proper press-ups.

Watched "Idris Elba - Fighter" the other night, and it quite inspired me. Silly man really, trying to train for a professional kick-boxing fight in 12 months flat at his age; "I'm gonna get hurt...I'm definitely gonna get hurt." Quite. Laughing But a good watch, nevertheless. Makes me miss my old Lau Gar days - can't do all that stuff anymore Sad
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:55 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
. Makes me miss my old Lau Gar days - can't do all that stuff anymore Sad

Can’t do that stuff anymore! .......... I could never do any of that stuff in the first place Laughing

I want to increase my training just a little bit, but it’s hard finding the right direction and motivation.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
. Makes me miss my old Lau Gar days - can't do all that stuff anymore Sad

Can’t do that stuff anymore! .......... I could never do any of that stuff in the first place Laughing

Martial arts can be one of the most absorbing things you can get into. If it wasn't for my arm and back limiting me too much (mostly range of movement), I'd really be interested to get back into it.
Like all things, you start with the basics, so it's not like it's inaccessible to anyone - even if you're not particularly fit. After all, that's part of what it does for you; gets you fit.

Last night, I managed another one hour workout session Very Happy Two in a day! I think it's getting to that point where it's becoming addictive.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved doing full contact karate, and later tang soo do. I was never that good at it, but I enjoyed the training.

Had the misfortune of trying GKR a few years ago, McDojo franchising nonsense. Rolling Eyes

I really liked English Full Contact Karate - it dispensed with long stances unsuited to gangly bodies, and shouting things out loud in another language, just a few quick bows here and there, but I've never been as fit in my life as when I did that. I wasn't very good at it, and never had a full on bout in a ring, continous sparring was as far as I went, I was too slow, and telegraphed to much, great fun though.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:40 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I loved doing full contact karate, and later tang soo do. I was never that good at it, but I enjoyed the training.

Had the misfortune of trying GKR a few years ago, McDojo franchising nonsense. Rolling Eyes

I really liked English Full Contact Karate - it dispensed with long stances unsuited to gangly bodies, and shouting things out loud in another language, just a few quick bows here and there, but I've never been as fit in my life as when I did that. I wasn't very good at it, and never had a full on bout in a ring, continous sparring was as far as I went, I was too slow, and telegraphed to much, great fun though.

Like many, when I was a kid I tried various things: Judo, Karate. I found them pretty boring, especially the Karate club I tried. I just got bored with constant repetitive exercise, marching up the hall doing straight punches, front kicks etc.
Then I tried Lau Gar. I think I might have been quite fortunate to have stumbled on this club. It was run by one Neville Wray, who had various semi-contact European and World Titles under his belt. He was a great motivator, with a sense of humour too, which I found lacking in many instructors of other forms. he generated a real camaraderie within the club - you really felt you were a part of something special.

Under Neville, yes, you did some of the repetitive stuff - sometimes the best way to learn and improve on certain things. But at any stage, you'd get shown various advanced techniques too, and you could stay on for the higher grade lessons later in the evening too. There was sparring right from your first lessons too, unlike some clubs which limited you to just your first grade stuff as a beginner. I also remember the beastings! But us youngsters even got competitive about those.

But I think one thing that programme I mentioned showed is that martial arts are about more than just fighting techniques. You can quite easily build a whole philosophy of life, encompassing everything you do, with their study. Such a philosophy and practice of it can generate an immense feeling of general wellbeing throughout your life. It was only later on that I really realised this. If you are ever in a position where you find your life is empty, without meaning, just drifting, the study and practice of martial arts, meditation and other associated aspects is a very good way to get yourself back on track. And the more you put into it, the more you get from it.

Whenever I do get back into any kind of exercise, I think the way I approach it is always influenced by those days studying Lau Gar under Neville.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:27 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

I want to increase my training just a little bit, but it’s hard finding the right direction and motivation.

I have a number of things motivating me right now.
1. Boredom, and too much time on my hands.
2. Needing to get fit enough to get back to work.
3. Wanting to get fit enough to spend a full day going anywhere I want on the Lakeland fells.
4. An obsession with getting rid of every ounce of flab Laughing
5. Wanting to overcome my natural laziness, and feel generally more energetic.
6. Wanting to know if doing exercise can overcome a couple of health issues I've been having, and a curiosity to discover how far my ruined body will let me go with it.

But after a while of getting back to it, I'm also finding it motivates itself when you get to a certain point - becomes harder not to do it.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I loved doing full contact karate,. I was never that good at it, but I enjoyed the training.

I really liked English Full Contact Karate - it dispensed with long stances unsuited to gangly bodies, great fun.

This is where I am now Smile ^ learning freestyle Karate.
I am the oldest in the class, but it’s good for me as it keeps things in perspective for me , ie they are all quicker than me , a lot more agile than me , but I’m meaner Laughing

I would love to go back to Krav Maga , but there are no decent classes near me.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

natural laziness,
my ruined body

But after a while of getting back to it, - becomes harder to do it.

That’s more like me Laughing ^.
I keep threatening to take up Judo or swimming again but never seem to get there Sad .
Maybe walking football?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 11 of 29