Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Summer Shorty boots.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:14 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Summer Shorty boots. Reply with quote

Any recommendations? I've just worn out my second pair of SMX-1s and I not keen on getting another pair as the soles don't last and they are pretty dear now.

I'd rather not have laces as I've had a errant lace loop round the gear lever and cause annoyance. That being said laces are fine if they have clips/velco/zip etc. that I can use to take off put on the boots, without touching the laces. (I can double knot the fuck out of them Laughing )

Monkeypony
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:22 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Summer Shorty boots. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Any recommendations? I've just worn out my second pair of SMX-1s and I not keen on getting another pair as the soles don't last and they are pretty dear now.

I'd rather not have laces as I've had a errant lace loop round the gear lever and cause annoyance. That being said laces are fine if they have clips/velco/zip etc. that I can use to take off put on the boots, without touching the laces. (I can double knot the fuck out of them Laughing )

You can just get the SMX boots re-soled.

Your local cobbler should be able to do it.

That being said, the soles are £25 plus the cost of the job, so whether you think that's good value or not is another thing!

chris-red

PostPosted: 11:39 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Summer Shorty boots. Reply with quote

Monkeypony wrote:
chris-red wrote:

You can just get the SMX boots re-soled.

Your local cobbler should be able to do it.

That being said, the soles are £25 plus the cost of the job, so whether you think that's good value or not is another thing!

I've done that before to a pair of SMX3's, it's not worth it. Soles were £35 delivered, I went to 3 different cobblers before finding one that would even attempt the job, and he charged £30 and it was with no guarantee. It wasn't an awful job but weren't brilliant. It's not worth it.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Summer Shorty boots. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I've done that before to a pair of SMX3's, it's not worth it. Soles were £35 delivered, I went to 3 different cobblers before finding one that would even attempt the job, and he charged £30 and it was with no guarantee. It wasn't an awful job but weren't brilliant. It's not worth it.

Just get Timpsons do it with a Vibram sole, £45 all in.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help recommend any but I would avoid Dainese based on my experience:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/215849

I have those. They've done about 2000 miles with me. Worn to hell on the soles, and the gear lever has bare rekt the upper on the left side. They say they're waterproof but that's bullshit.

Compared to my 'main' boots which are Bullson jobbies I got from Hein Gericke 10 years ago and are still going, they've been a total waste of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 12:10 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Summer Shorty boots. Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Just get Timpsons do it with a Vibram sole, £45 all in.

Not certain they can, they aren't generic soles. They wrap round and come up the side of the boot about 20-25mm most of the way around.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got some Dainese motorshoe air boots, really good for the current hot weather only downside for me is that they use laces.

EDIT: Just saw arry's post same boot but not waterproof for summer, the soles do seem on the thin side but time will tell

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCX CUBES.....or TCX VIBE boots, Been wearing TCX cubes for a few years now, they are waterproof and very comfy.

They cost about £120 most places.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's so many more short boots out there now. I've used smx 1and 2 and whilst they do wear out quickly, is that because they're more comfortable to walk around in for longer?
Currently using sidi apex (like a short vertigo) and alpinestar sp1 v2.

Prices vary for all. The new trendy hipster type normal looking boots are everywhere, as are the basketball boot type. As long as they have protection in the right place and fit you, there's plenty of choice.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:56 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

I wear short boots year round (London commuter) the TCX boots I have had recently are the most comfortable ones I have worn: TCX Rush

chris-red

PostPosted: 14:58 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really walk in mine that much, they have actually worn through were the gear shifter makes contact!

The TCX boots don't appear to go up to my size, 13uk/49EU

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Alpinestars Faster-2. I took the laces out and put elastic ones in with a pull cord. They are comfy for walking around, but I only use them for "best" when it's dry. No sign of worn soles yet after a year of ownership

£105 now on amazon

Edit: reviews https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/260632
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
I wear short boots year round (London commuter) the TCX boots I have had recently are the most comfortable ones I have worn: TCX Rush

Just had a look at those, at £99 I would love a pair but I've just started wearing cubes and I have another pair stored along with the vibes that finally arrived last week.

chris-red wrote:
I don't really walk in mine that much, they have actually worn through were the gear shifter makes contact!

The TCX boots don't appear to go up to my size, 13uk/49EU

Yeah, same with me, the gearshift problem!! And I've also checked and you are right about your size... Bummer Crying or Very sad

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are after something a bit more casual (looking), I recently bought a pair of Icon Patrol 2 boots, seem decent quality and no issues so far.

Waterproof, d30 armour and boa lacing, comfy enough to wear all day.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 23 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Summer Shorty boots. Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Not certain they can, they aren't generic soles. They wrap round and come up the side of the boot about 20-25mm most of the way around.

It can be done by flapping off the sole leaving the sides intact and vulcanising the new sole to the remains of the old one.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 278 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1