Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

G310GS snappy stand / wrecky frame recall

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours
View previous topic : View next topic  

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:38 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: G310GS snappy stand / wrecky frame recall Reply with quote

More legendary BMW quality. Their G310G has decided that it will snap the sidestand mount off, drop the bike, and for good measure destroy the frame in the process.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/-/media/john-box/july-2018/g310gs-recall/02_bmw-g310gs-sidestand-recall.ashx?h=493&w=740&la=en&hash=2958EECFBA6DA35DC78ACDCD554C109F443A4F54

Yes, it really is that bad. That's an integral part of the frame. The whole thing needs replaced, which means that as far as DVLA are concerned, that bike is an ex-bike, with all the potential for them chasing you for VED eternally, and messing up registration of the new frame/bike.

Indian monkey metal FTW. How's that outsourcing to TVS looking now?

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what does a re-frame result in, new reg or is it possible to update the frame number against a registration mark?

I know the Department of Various Lost Articles can cock things up easily but...

Or is this a case of it may be easier for BMW to just replace the entire bike (how they're still popular I'll never know)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:56 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
So, what does a re-frame result in, new reg or is it possible to update the frame number against a registration mark?

The frame is the bike. They can put the old parts into a new frame, but it'll be registered as a new bike, with a new or historical VRM. I mean, if they're honest. They might just give you the new bike back with the old bike's VRM on it, but it's not the same bike, as the V5C will confirm. Good luck at your first MOT, or when you come to sell it.

BMW (by which I mean owners / renters / keepers) need to ensure that the old frame is logged as scrapped, or DVLA will chase them up for VED indefinitely.

Or you can put it through MVSA as a modification, but it'll get a Q plate.

I think with this comedy fail, BMW have put themselves square in the same quality class as Royal Enfield.

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:32 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that the dealers would be supplied with new frames with a blank vin and the vin from the broken frame transferred to it. I have known it happen with cars and the old shell had to be cut into bits so there was no possibility of it being reused (with photos sent to the manufacturer to prove) but that was a while ago now.
Not sure I would be happy that my "new" bike had been reassembled by the trainee in the back of the workshop tho 🤔
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the labour charges to do this will be astronomical, at least in the first world countries.

It's one thing for a production line assembly of components but manually? It can't be a lot more expensive just to replace the bike.

Ah, read the article completely first John Brick Wall

They are going to bodge it. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:53 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the new frame will still be made by TVS.

I'm sure they'll be sure that they've sorted the issue, just as sure as they were that there wouldn't be any issues in the first place...

You pay peanuts, you get monkey metal.

Amusingly, it looks like the initial reports of broken frames came from China-China-China. Not amusingly, but not surprisingly, that was back in May, and the initial response from BMW appeared to be "So what?", followed by regional then a global sales halt over a month ago.

Yet the UK motorscootering press didn't pick up on it until one of their demo bikes fell over. And even at that, MCN and VisorDown have still not run anything on it. Don't bite the hand that advertises on you?

Another pictures showing just how little monkey-metal there is around the stand.

https://www.g310rforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9990&d=1529449823

In June, Herr BMW wrote:
Delivery Stop:
All vehicles that are marked with this special defect code are subject to a delivery stop. It is not allowed to put them into circulation or deliver them to customers. Vehicles that are already put in circulation or delivered to customers are not subject of this delivery stop. The customer who have taken delivery can still continue to ride these motorcycles.

Fact:
On G310-models the side stand connection might bend or, in extreme case, brake.

Effect:
It is not possible to completely rule out an insecure standing position of the vehicle if this fault occurs.

Measure:
On affected vehicles the side stand connection will be checked for prior damage and an additional bearing block for reinforcement will be installed.

Every report seems to be of a clean snap with no warning, not bending. They're all "extreme cases"? Thinking

If the sidestand snaps clean off, an "insecure standing position" may just possibly conceivably occur? Clapping

I'll be fascinated to see how this "additional bearing block" is going to work, or what they imagine it's going to bear on.

Oh, and from the last post in that thread, it seems that BMW (or at least TVS) have known about this for ages, since the recall is only for bikes made before April this year.

So why has it taken then 4 more months to do a recall and a bodge job?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Amusingly, it looks like the initial reports of broken frames came from China-China-China.

Quote:
Another reason to get a center stand or paddock rear stand.

Or just not buy a shit bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1