Multi-state marketing venture for Royal Enfield

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Make genuine contributions to forums before spamming your own agenda.

Hey give the guy some credit; he's trying to prove the reliability of RE by riding 800 miles. That's a long way - especially in 5 days. He's doing the world a service here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:46 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It's still a badly made rolling museum-piece

Err, yeah, but... he comes from land that has elevated that bad idea to the status of 'icon'... one the Indians are learning to emulate, perhaps, but still.. rather British jest the idea why we did'n have a Little-Big-Horn like the Septics... neither side could get the [i]Bullets[/i] to fly..... so we all sat down, had a Gin & tonic or five, then argued which was best, Gordon's or Bombay Saphire Laughing

Think we should give the lad a break, really, I mean, true, he's broken the cardinal spamming the boards in his first post, true, he's American, but, well.. he rides a Bullet! Isn't that punishment enough?

Ok... maybe he deserves a world tour of Scotland on it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 01:25 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

Make genuine contributions to forums before spamming your own agenda.

Hey give the guy some credit; he's trying to prove the reliability of RE by riding 800 miles. That's a long way - especially in 5 days. He's doing the world a service here.

Okay, I get it. My apologies for "Spaming" unintentionally and perhaps a bit of explaining is in order. My reasoning for making this ride is solely for raising awareness for the Royal Enfield Brand. I ride a Classic 500 in battle green (An homage to my military service). Most people that approach me have never even heard of Royal Enfield and the ones that have (usually Senior Citizens) aren't aware they are still in business. I can't tell you how many times I'm asked "What year is that?", "Is that a Norton?" (Really, a Norton? People know Norton over R.E.), "How long did it take you to restore that bike", "I haven't seen a Royal Enfield in 30-40 years" etc. Something HAS to be done to help this once great brand return to it's former glory. Riding 2,230 miles (NOT 800) at both freeway and Interstate speeds would prove the longevity and reliability of the UCE power horse. Silencing all nay-Sayers once and for all. I am extremely passionate about Royal Enfield and probably always will be. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Marketing team for Royal Enfield North America is doing all they can to get the brand out there, but where? Mostly on the West coast; California, Arizona, Texas, etc. Let's face it, That's how it is. Banking on a trickle effect of sorts, like most ideas. The east coast is usually slower to pick up on things and get on bored. In most cases we're in a way, neglected. Well I want to scream it for all to hear and grab people's attention to what Royal Enfield is, as well as what it can become.
I'm just a simple man with a passion I can feel in my soul and want to share that with all who will hear me. I'm a father, a husband, an average Joe. As a disabled Veteran, I have time on my hands, time which I would like to devote to aiding in any way possible this company that I hold so dear to me. While in college for Motorcycle Mechanics, I was assigned to write a history report on a brand of my choosing. So clearly Royal Enfield was my choice. Another assignment was to write a report on a dealership for the chosen brand. I spent hours there. Interviewing, going for a long test ride, and even bringing home some sweet swag. They welcomed me in like a family member (you should read the report, lol.).
In a way, I feel I AM Royal Enfield. It's a part of me. I just want more people to fall in love with Royal Enfield as I have. So I apologise for breaking you forum rules.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:39 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the new import taxes affecting the prices of these marvellous pieces of British history and Indian ingenuity?

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:24 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
How are the new import taxes affecting the prices of these marvellous pieces of British history and Indian ingenuity?

From what I'm seeing the price has gone up $200 (153 pounds). But, the 2018s are euro 4 compliant. So if you figure in the Cats in the header, rear disc brakes and ABS I'm not sure which is the reason for the jump. My 2017 is still Euro 3, although the '17s in the UK were all already euro 4.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:02 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... They have been making Bullets in India since, what, the mid 1950's? Probably earlier if you include CSK's...
Entirely 'British' Royal-Enfield went out of business in the early 1970's.
The India Enfields were re-introduced to the UK in the mid 1980's... and acquired the rights to the "Royal-Enfeild" name, somewhere in the early naughties, I think...
This is a British and significantly UK based forum.... and there are at least two-or three Enfield riding regular forum contributors and members: I could probably name, Stinkwheel, obviousely; Rogerborg, intermineably; Lone-Wolf, Shaggy, and a fair few others if I hunted......
You are, in very insular Americal manner, some-what preaching to the converted, trying to raise 'awareness' of the brand here!!!
Can I interest you in a Pair of Levi's perhaps? Wonderful new fashion, we have discovered.... made in Glasgow.... lol!
As English as Apple-Pie... oh hang on I think the French may have other ideas on that one....
Enthusiam is a wonderful thing, but it really needs a good driver to get a grip and apply a firm hand in directing it.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:41 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad theMaddman wrote:

Okay, I get it. My apologies for "Spaming" unintentionally and perhaps a bit of explaining is in order.

Fair play for coming back and laying it all out Thumbs Up

Brad theMaddman wrote:

Riding 2,230 miles (NOT 800) .

Interesting. My basic knowledge of Murca suggested it wasn't anywhere near that far. Got a rough route plan you can show us?

I'll level with you - there's no way I'd manage 400 plus miles a day for multiple days on my Bullet; I'd still be vibrating like my mistress's clit balls for weeks after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 10:23 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad theMaddman wrote:

Riding 2,230 miles (NOT 800) .

Interesting. My basic knowledge of Murca suggested it wasn't anywhere near that far. Got a rough route plan you can show us? [/quote]
Absolutely. Select Cycle of NC, Team Power Sports NC, Royal Enfield of Charlotte NC, D&A Cycles of Georgia, Merietta Sports Car and Cycle Co. of Georgia, Royal Enfield of Seminole County Florida and Haus of Trikes and Bikes in Florida. Depending on route changes, detours or other obstacles, it may be more. The cris-crossing of States is what accounts for the added distance, and all the filming at the locations account for the days.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:57 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad theMaddman wrote:

Absolutely. Select Cycle of NC, Team Power Sports NC, Royal Enfield of Charlotte NC, D&A Cycles of Georgia, Merietta Sports Car and Cycle Co. of Georgia, Royal Enfield of Seminole County Florida and Haus of Trikes and Bikes in Florida. Depending on route changes, detours or other obstacles, it may be more. The cris-crossing of States is what accounts for the added distance, and all the filming at the locations account for the days.

Hmmm? Thinks? ........ wouldn’t still be plugging (slotting in companies names) sponsors in the conversation would you by any chance?

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Brad theMaddman wrote:

Hmmm? Thinks? ........ wouldn’t still be plugging (slotting in companies names) sponsors in the conversation would you by any chance?

Subtle. Laughing
Not relevant though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:10 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE are their own worst enemy when it comes to releasing bikes.

They are invariably released long after they were supposed to be (with customers having pre-orders) and/or have some catastrophic designed-in fault that they hadn't noticed despite their lateness.

So the UCE models were both late and had exploding sprag clutches.

The himalayan was super late. They also show a footpeg snapping off in their promotional video.

So. The new twins will be released on time and working properly? Place your bets now...

From looking at them side to side, I must say, the overall build quality of the himalayan is a step-change above even the newer 500 singles. If they've continued in the same vein with the new twins, they might have finally produced something with mass market appeal (ie sufficiently powerful, well built and "normal" to ride for someone to buy just after passing their test without first needing a training course from a team of engineers and historians).

They are absolutely guaranteed to fuck-up the release though. They'll lift the curtain and it'll be on a spotlit turntable, lying on its side in a slowly rotating pool of burning oil. Something like that.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

So. The new twins will be released on time and working properly? Place your bets now...

From looking at them side to side, I must say, the overall build quality of the himalayan is a step-change above even the newer 500 singles. If they've continued in the same vein with the new twins, they might have finally produced something with mass market appeal (ie sufficiently powerful, well built and "normal" to ride for someone to buy just after passing their test without first needing a training course from a team of engineers and historians).

They are absolutely guaranteed to fuck-up the release though. They'll lift the curtain and it'll be on a spotlit turntable, lying on its side in a slowly rotating pool of burning oil. Something like that.

I had a sit on the new Interceptor at the bike show in February and they said it was out 'imminently' then; a business quarter isn't imminent to me.

It wasn't placed on one of the usual upright stands, was just plonked on its sidestand. When I picked it up off the sidestand and pulled the bars up straight, there was a wobble right through the front end. My mate noticed it straight away and held the front tyre with his feet and wobbled the bars back and forth near a half inch Laughing The sales guy (think it was Cooper B) started making excuses about it being pre-production and had 'done the rounds of shows' or some such. I think I'd have gone over it with a bloody socket set beforehand given it was probably the biggest audience showing to date Laughing

aceofhearts
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:53 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just ridden my Bullet 500 to the Arctic Circle and back. 4100 miles in 3 weeks and I didn't even need to adjust the chain!

Admittedly the German and Danish motorway stretches were hard work, but once in Norway the bike was absolutely superb.

https://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/lewis_sharman/IMG_20180701_122231_zpsc2jhgd22.jpg

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:52 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceofhearts wrote:
Ive just ridden my Bullet 500 to the Arctic Circle and back. 4100 miles in 3 weeks and I didn't even need to adjust the chain!

Admittedly the German and Danish motorway stretches were hard work, but once in Norway the bike was absolutely superb.

https://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr353/lewis_sharman/IMG_20180701_122231_zpsc2jhgd22.jpg

Have you done any modifications to your 500? What was your average speeds on the motorways?

aceofhearts
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:26 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad theMaddman wrote:
aceofhearts wrote:

Have you done any modifications to your 500? What was your average speeds on the motorways?

Only modifications are removal of the auto-decompressor and a Hitchcocks exhaust. Speeds on the motorway were between 55 and 60mph.

I wrote up a thread here if you wanted to have a read through:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1739469

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceofhearts wrote:

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1739469

WTF, we've got a touring section on BCF that's meant for just that. I thought pistonheads was primarily a site for the four wheeled crowd?

Hmmm, Haus of trikes is only an hour and a half south of me... Thinking

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:45 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only modifications are removal of the auto-decompressor and a Hitchcocks exhaust. Speeds on the motorway were between 55 and 60mph.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=&t=1739469[/quote]
Very nice write up. It was a pleasure I'm sure. I plan eventually trek to every dealership in the US.

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 03:09 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 1 of my trip is now uploaded to my YouTube channel for your viewing pleasure. Please subscribe to my channel if you like my content and enjoy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKnGuYojXBw&t=1988s

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:07 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad theMaddman wrote:
I plan eventually trek to every dealership in the US.

LoL! You have opened yourself up with that one!
I have images of you and bike arriving at one on the back of a Dodge Ram, with the caption "Enfield US Dealer Number 7 - Tennessee. Distance traveled 2172 miles. Bikes odometer reading; 1257. AAA membership rescinded. Enfield US need more dealers....maybe a TATA concession too....."

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:48 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Brad theMaddman wrote:
I plan eventually trek to every dealership in the US.

LoL! You have opened yourself up with that one!
I have images of you and bike arriving at one on the back of a Dodge Ram, with the caption "Enfield US Dealer Number 7 - Tennessee. Distance traveled 2172 miles. Bikes odometer reading; 1257. AAA membership rescinded. Enfield US need more dealers....maybe a TATA concession too....."

LOL, there are actually 77 dealers in total coast to coast.

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:33 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't miss Day 2 of my Road trip to Florida. Now available on my YouTube channel. In this installment, we visit Royal Enfield of Charlotte North Carolina, go through South Carolina and into Georgia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtgNkRlCAjI

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Brad for not giving up on this forum. I for one will watch your videos.

Doesn't seem to be too many corners. A bit like oval racing.

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:35 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Well done Brad for not giving up on this forum. I for one will watch your videos.

Thank you. I really appreciate that.

Brad theMaddman
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:55 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: 500 Subscribers Reply with quote

Alright guys, here are the details of the 500 Subscriber Hitchcocks gift certificate giveaway. Simple to enter. Lots of luck and love to each of you. Thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kCkKvOMh78

aceofhearts
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:06 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3