Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I bought my dream bike.. A Triumph Bonneville

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:54 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: I bought my dream bike.. A Triumph Bonneville Reply with quote

I haven't been on these forums in a good few years, thought I'd jump back on as I finally got my A license in June, and treated myself to the bike I always dreamt about as a kid... Dream big, start big. Cool

The T100 Black. Took her for a day trip to the Peak District last week, racked up 1800 miles in a fortnight. Brilliant roads, beautiful scenery. I've added yellow tint vinyl to the headlight, and the Scrambler Grille. I'm fitting an X-Pipe decat this weekend.

Bottom line. I'M F*CKING LOVING IT. Thumbs Up

https://i.imgur.com/X6N0z9k.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tLUfl6q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZUCLmQp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1d8pNEk.jpg[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bike Thumbs Up Keep an eye out for signs of corrosion ..

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

Thanks Thumbs Up What makes you say this? Past experiences? It's brand new, so I'd hope to see zero corrosion for a good few years. I've used ACF50 for many years, always kept the rust and oxidation away!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:53 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are nice bikes I agree, but I wouldn't say you're dreaming particularly big. They are reasonably priced and have a decent power delivery for a new rider. It's a perfect first bike in many ways.

If you were dreaming big I'd expect to see you on a restricted H2!! Laughing

BlackStallion
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:38 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
They are nice bikes I agree, but I wouldn't say you're dreaming particularly big. They are reasonably priced and have a decent power delivery for a new rider. It's a perfect first bike in many ways.

If you were dreaming big I'd expect to see you on a restricted H2!! Laughing

It's a subjective thing, for sure, this for me is dreaming big (within reasonability/affordability Laughing ) I did debate the Bobber, but then thought about practicality and it wasn't my dream bike (awesome though. may I add).

H2 would be great fun for a track day, but sports bikes and ludicrous speed ain't my thang.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:14 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good looking bike. Wouldn't mind one myself.

Bikes like these are a real pleasure to own Thumbs Up

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackStallion wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:

Thanks Thumbs Up What makes you say this? Past experiences? It's brand new, so I'd hope to see zero corrosion for a good few years. I've used ACF50 for many years, always kept the rust and oxidation away!

Hi, yeah, out of all the bikes I've owned, my Triumph America, owned from new, was the worst for corrosion, and that was in under 12 months, lovely ride though.. Still a lovely looking bike, yours, that is Thumbs Up

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumphs are fine regarding corrosion if you keep them clean and give a squirt of WD40 or similar. I have a two year old Street Twin that I bought new and keep clean, is like new.
My first Hinkley Triumph was a Trident 900 in 1999, followed by an 02 Bonneville, a 97 Adventurer and a 2012 Bonneville.
Swear by them, never had an expensive problem and build quality is fine.
Enjoy your Bonneville, it looks a great bike.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great photography there. Thumbs Up

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:48 - 16 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mate. I’d like one one day.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 17 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Thumbs Up

Soggz
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:04 - 03 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice? I would like a new T120. What's it like to ride? I've never had a bike with fuel injection. How is the power delivery,.e.t.c?

St George
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:49 - 02 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one with 4000 miles on the clock, 4 years old, spokes covered in bad rust. Outed it.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a test ride on one from Webbs of Eye in 2014 - really liked it apart from the fact that when I got off, after just a 40 minute ride, I felt like I'd been riding a horse!

My bruv just bought an '08 Bonnie and reckons it's fine as far as width goes - so maybe I shoulda sat a bit further back on it, or maybe I just suffered due to my screwed up legs/back/hips!

Anyway, I wanna buy a 2019 Bonnie - any of the 3 new ones, they all look wicked - in 2021, when they will have some cheaper, low mileage ones available Smile

https://i.postimg.cc/52TWbX8x/Bonnie-Demo-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/7h9ykXnc/Bonnie-Demo-5.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/BZB3HQfg/Bonnie-Demo-4.jpg

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:
I had a test ride on one from Webbs of Eye in 2014 - really liked it apart from the fact that when I got off, after just a 40 minute ride, I felt like I'd been riding a horse!

My bruv just bought an '08 Bonnie and reckons it's fine as far as width goes - so maybe I shoulda sat a bit further back on it, or maybe I just suffered due to my screwed up legs/back/hips!

Anyway, I wanna buy a 2019 Bonnie - any of the 3 new ones, they all look wicked - in 2021, when they will have some cheaper, low mileage ones available Smile

https://i.postimg.cc/52TWbX8x/Bonnie-Demo-2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/7h9ykXnc/Bonnie-Demo-5.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/BZB3HQfg/Bonnie-Demo-4.jpg

If you like the look of teh bonnie, why not look at a new Enfield Interceptor?

https://www.royalenfield.com/content/dam/re-platform-images/interceptor/Colour-bike-studio-shots/ravishingRed/10.png

Take 1 for a test ride, they ride lovely. Still waiting for mine to arrive, but it should be here sometime this month Thumbs Up

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they ship all the way from India?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:

No they teleport them ! Laughing Of course they ship from India, do you not realise there are Royal Enfield dealerships in the UK.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 10 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Wyberton John wrote:

No they teleport them ! Laughing Of course they ship from India, do you not realise there are Royal Enfield dealerships in the UK.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

WTF???

It's called stock - manufacturers have stocks of bikes in the UK as well as delivering them direct from whatever place they manufacture them.

So the valid question is, if buying a new one, do you have to wait until it gets here from India, or do you get one from stock in the UK - which you've now answered.

Won't be having one anyway, having read reviews and watched a few vids on YT - but regardless;

1: Just looks like a copy of an older Bonnie

2: I hear mention of it forcing your legs wide (see 1 above and what I said about the Bonnie I test rode)

3: It ain't got a Union Jack planted on it at the factory!

I've had Hinckley Triumphs in the past, and they are outstanding bikes.

I will have a test ride on the Enfield, though - just to have a go, like Smile

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 11 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:

WTF???

It's called stock - manufacturers have stocks of bikes in the UK as well as delivering them direct from whatever place they manufacture them.

So the valid question is, if buying a new one, do you have to wait until it gets here from India, or do you get one from stock in the UK - which you've now answered.

Won't be having one anyway, having read reviews and watched a few vids on YT - but regardless;

1: Just looks like a copy of an older Bonnie

2: I hear mention of it forcing your legs wide (see 1 above and what I said about the Bonnie I test rode)

3: It ain't got a Union Jack planted on it at the factory!

I've had Hinckley Triumphs in the past, and they are outstanding bikes.

I will have a test ride on the Enfield, though - just to have a go, like Smile

They have dealers, they have UK stock, there is also a waiting list for the new bikes, at least in certain colours, even in India there's a 2 months waiting list. When I test rode 1, didn't feel like my legs were forced out wide..

You do realise, that most, if not all of any new Bonneville will be manufactured in Thailand don't you?

Also, doesn't look massively removed, looks wise, rom a 1960's Royal Interceptor 750.

https://www.yesterdays.nl/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Royal-enfield-1967-interceptor-2509-1.jpg

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - I rode the scenic route to Louth today, and LMT Motorcycles. There I went on a 20-30min accompanied test ride on the Interceptor.

I would never buy this bike. The main reason is that I couldn't get my foot - or even just my toe - under the gearshift lever. There wasn't too much adjustment for it, either. This was confirmed by another biker who showed up after my test ride and will be doing his own later - he sat on the bike, in his trainers (I had my boots on) and encountered the same problem. I'd had to use the lip of my boot sole to change up - with many resultant neutrals and high revving going nowhere syndrome.

Second, the seat is hard as a rock. Okay - that can be sorted, but not cheaply.

Third, the bike was very wallowy in fast bends. Not gentle fast bends - the type where you have to get a good bit of lean. Totally rocked my confidence in the bike.

So I didn't enjoy the ride at all, though there are quite a few good points to the bike.

My hips were also aching when I got off it - but I do have knackered hips, so I'll let that one go.

I have a Fazer Thou Gen 1 - it's a brilliant bike, but getting too heavy for me to push around when parking up etc. If it weren't for that, I'd keep it until I was unable to ride it any more.
At LMT, all 3 mechanics also have Fazer Thou Gen 1's as their main bike.

Anyway, to get back to R.E. - I did like the look of the Himalaya, so might look at that some time, but I can bet that when I sit on a Bonnie and ride it out of the showroom, I will enjoy the ride. i will be comfy and I will not fear for my NCB on fast corners.

Well worth the additional 3 grand Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:58 - 19 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, fair play, be no good if everybody felt the same about the same bike. However, on the 1 1/2 test ride I had, I didn't have the problems you encountered, found it a very agreeable bike on any road, a, b and motorway. Having owned a Triumph America, from new, I'll never buy another Triumph..

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 07:31 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never spent more than 30 seconds on one in a dealer - I always feel like daddy long legs. Plank seats make me slide forward too. Footpegs too far back for me. I prefer Harley's with feet forward. That said, Bonnie's look great. Just not right for me. I'm fed up with chain maintenance too. Moving to the dark side myself. My dream bike is an FXFB. Pricey I know, but retro cool like the Bonnie and powerful. Hey ho, each to our own . OP, nice pics.

Wyberton John
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:29 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm warming more and more to the scrambler. I will have a go on all 3 2019 Bonnies if Webb's has all 3 to demo and then decide which to go for.

I had a 2000 Tiger - that's the 885cc one - and it was flawless, well, once I'd put some proper road rubber on it. Used to love flicking it from ear to ear on twisties and was always off down the bumpy local Lincolnshire back roads for some grins. Bike I had for the longest time, so far, at 5 years. Only sold it due to health reasons - have a buggered spine and at that time, I had no feeling in my bum - which gets very scary on a bike.

Mind you, I reckon my Fazer might break that personal record, currently had it 4 years Smile

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 20 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longest bike I owned was my Enfield 350, at 7 years, the VTX was quite close to that as well. The rest have generally been between 2 and 5 years. I suspect my CF650TR may last a while longer, as it's perfect for plodding up and down the motorway, unless the location of the office where I'm based changes

NakedBiker
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:01 - 22 Mar 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyberton John wrote:
I'm warming more and more to the scrambler. I will have a go on all 3 2019 Bonnies if Webb's has all 3 to demo and then decide which to go for.

The new Triumph Scrambler is a beautiful bike... I want one myself. The paint and metal finishes are great. Looks really premium Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 8 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1