BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TALK TALK

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: TALK TALK Reply with quote

OK, so Virgin Media want to bend me over for the sum of £60 a month for my package renewal. 100 meg broadband TV+ and we don't use the land line phone as wife and I have mobiles.

We have a smart TV and Netflix. Talk Talk say 40 meg fibre for £22.50 for 18 months, seems like a deal to me. Does anyone have any feedback regarding Talk Talk? it seems like a really good affordable deal. I hate paying over the odds for things, I don't download that much so the extra speed from Virgin matters not. The price also includes unlimited downloads and tech support should I require it.

Thoughts people please, good move or bad move?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:48 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have talk talk.
i get 77 down and 20up.

i have not had to speak with them since it was installed.
it seems to be just fine.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers ColinK98, I never went for the top deal, just basic fibre for £22.50. Thanks though.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved from BT to Talk Talk, all good so far, £22,.50/month and I get 30meg down and 10 up, same as BT.
£90 cashback through topcashback too Wink

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
I've moved from BT to Talk Talk, all good so far, £22,.50/month and I get 30meg down and 10 up, same as BT.

Thanks for the info J4mes, I'll look at that topcashback.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:14 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with talk talk 30mb down dunno about up, but only on Ethernet cable NOT Wi-Fi,

the router they give you max speed about 22mb on Wi-Fi.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:33 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be an unhappy customer if paying for 40Mb but only getting 30. Laughing

Talk Talk is one of the very few companies I would never use regardless of how good the price is or how much cashback I'd get.

I know various people who've had problems with service from Talk Talk and the only solution that works is to leave Talk Talk ASAP and go to a company who're not quite so bad.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:37 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:

It's £50 cashback at the moment.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had lots of problems when with Talk Talk.

My speed kept dropping and then would disconnect.
Reboot router and all was ok again for a short while then repeat.
Using my own router made no difference.
Talk Talk were adamant there was no problem at their end.
Moved to BT and end of problems.

Just moved to Vodafone as they were half the price of BT
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true but if you have a package with an ISP that includes line rental then that ISP is responsible for getting problems sorted whether they be the line or something further up the chain (even though it'll ultimately be Openreach that does the fixing).

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been with Talk Talk for about 5 years now, we are on their top FTTC for our area (Talk Talk win as we have limited companies that serve this village).

One of the best things about TT is that they never complain, ever, about rather large downloads. They are also just about the cheapest as well.
The connection rarely drops, The speeds are the top end of what they say we can get. We had the up to 38 mbps conn for a while, and then upgraded to the 76.

Just did a speedtest and we get 75.04 dl and 18.8 upload.

We do try and shop around when the contracts come to an end, but around here no-one else touches them for price.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've also been fined twice for data breaches in 2014 and 2017.

In the 2014 one hackers got personal details of 157k customer including bank details of over 15k customers.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
I had lots of problems when with Talk Talk.

My speed kept dropping and then would disconnect.
Reboot router and all was ok again for a short while then repeat.
Using my own router made no difference.
Talk Talk were adamant there was no problem at their end.
Moved to BT and end of problems.

Just moved to Vodafone as they were half the price of BT

I had talktalk for ages and never had a single issue with them.

I only moved away to vodafone fibre because vodafone's top fibre package worked cheaper then talktalks adsl package that I had

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:35 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can see, ISPs are hated by some. Loved by others.

I currently have no choice, so have BT fibre. I'd have VM if I could.

I had talk talk, they couldn't work out why my download was 1Mb. Switched to BT, 36... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virgin retention team waved an offer I could not refuse in my face so all good, staying with them. They have given me XL tv, 200 meg broadband and a credit of £230 on my account to keep me. £50 a month for 18 months.

Also decided Talk Talk were not up to much after they sent a dead router and their IT support guy was called 'Alan' but had Punjabi accent and in a developing world call centre. I know I know VM is the same but they had a better quality of foreigner than Talk Talk if that makes any sense.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference between BT fibre and what other companies call broadband?

I am on unlimited BT fibre. Get around 50 megs download and the service has been ultra reliable. However I pay £56 a month for the pleasure.

Is talk talk and the like the same as an energy supplier, everything is the same, you just pay a different reseller?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:00 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roughly speaking it's the same apart from what mpd says.

mpd wrote:
That they maybe, but chances are the ISP is renting the line "wholesale" without free support built in. They often have to pay Openreach to even look at or resolve any issues, if the fault does not lie their side of the test socket. It can be incredibly difficult to get an ISP to admit to a line fault.
I've battled for years at some customers premises, proving SNR margins drop to under 3dB, every time the service drops out and line attenuation figures are almost hitting 60dB on the downside. BT Openreach poked around with the socket, but wouldn't touch the actual line because it ran 1 story up on the outside of the building. It was laying in a puddle on a flat roof but they would do nothing about it and kept fobbing us off. The customer got a private Virgin Business leased fibre line put in at great expense in the end and BT got told to do one.

It used to be beneficial for businesses to use BT Broadband as they used to own the entire service from exchange to line to premises. Not any more, BT is now 3 different companies and neither do anything for free for the other.

There are more unhappy Talk Talk customers than there are for any other ISP so proceed with caution if you're considering them. Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:51 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I am on unlimited BT fibre. Get around 50 megs download and the service has been ultra reliable. However I pay £56 a month for the pleasure.

Quality of the internals is pretty much the only diff. BT ship with an average router, TalkTalk ship with a half dead hamster and an elastic band, so quality will be a bit worse on that end, fibre wise, most BT are FTTC and then you are fed over copper.

£56 for 50Mb is horrific however, I would aim to get that lowered if its just net and line rental, I'm paying £36 for 76Mb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:49 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d give a kidney for the chance at having Virgin supply my internets.
Currently trying to negotiate paying EE less than £90 for their top 4G package with a 300GB limit. What they call double speed 4G works out to 20mbit.
I can’t wait until 5G rolls out in 2 years and I get the option of decent speeds but have to go back to a 10GB limit.

chrisw
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't touch Talk Talk if they were the only supplier left, I'd rather eat the phone cables for entertainment.

Stuck in a deal with them at the moment (badged as the 'Post Office') for another couple of months with internet down to a few Mbs, regular drop outs and complete indifference from their support teams.

It's probably OK if you don't have any problems, but they are always rated worst for customer service.....because they are the worst at customer service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chrisw
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
chrisw wrote:
Wouldn't touch Talk Talk if they were the only supplier left, I'd rather eat the phone cables for entertainment.

Stuck in a deal with them at the moment (badged as the 'Post Office') for another couple of months with internet down to a few Mbs, regular drop outs and complete indifference from their support teams.

It's probably OK if you don't have any problems, but they are always rated worst for customer service.....because they are the worst at customer service.

Which is more likely down to your phone line, which will remain unchanged no matter what ISP you use. Plug another router into the test socket behind the face plate, with a new filter and test again with Ethernet connection.

Like I said, the vast majority of issues are down to the line quality and distance from the exchange, not the ISP at the other end of it. If it;s that bad with one ISP, it won't suddenly be cured by switching to the same service, through the same phone line, with another ISP.

Yeah, that's great except that both BE/O2 and then BT managed to provide a solid service over the same line and it only turned to rat shit after switching to TalkTalk.

I wouldn't have a problem with it being a line problem (I've already done the ground work to prove it isn't) if their support team wern't completely dismissive of problems. I've been through this loop a few times in other properties and even BT handled the problem better than this lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:30 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to stay with BT as it is tried and tested, I just want to make it cheaper. Any tips?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 234 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3