Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buying my first big bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sean2018
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:13 - 01 Aug 2018    Post subject: Buying my first big bike Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I've just got my full licence and I'm looking to upgrade. I've been riding on and off on 125s for 10 years, and consistently on a ybr for 4, did my lessons on an ER6 and got on really well with it.

I need a bike that's going to take me long distance, That's low maintenance, comfortable to ride and good to handle, and the one bike that's taken my eye is the ST1300. I've heard nothing but good things about it from owners, and nothing but "that's too big" from family.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this? I've done my research on the bike, and I know the weight is something to be aware of, but I feel comfortable with that. Keeping in mind I'm a sensible rider, I'm not looking to hit corners as fast as possible or weave in and out of traffic, I want something that's going to cover long distances with comfort and stability.

Ideally I'd like to hear from owners of ST1300s, there's a lot out there about what's a good novice bike but very very few that are specifically about starting on a Pan European. All opinions are welcome

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:30 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only concern would be make sure your really inspect a used one well, as there's alot of hidden chassis and components that if not kept clean or protected could start corroding away unseen.

Secondly have you researched the running costs so that you know what a big heavy bike is getting you into? Don't fall for the 'oh it's a shaft drive, I don't need to do any maintenance' trap.

I'd say an FJR 1300 is just as good a bike and would widen your bike hunt options, but best to talk to real owners of both bikes.

As long as your comfortable on it then I don't see the size and weight is a factor to be concerned with. Bikes like this weigh alot so big powerful engines are counteracted by mass, unlike say a BMW S1000RR which could be too flighty for a newish rider maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 240 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1