BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Clothes to help avoid sweating

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Serendipity
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that you can do much about it, but your bike is a big part of it. Some bikes transfer significantly more heat to the rider than others.

I’m using my old 1990’s CB500 at the moment and I’ve been commuting on it since June. No fairing and a weeny engine makes it a chore in winter, but perfect for summer. Even stuck at endless sets of lights in baking London it’s never too uncomfortable.

As a contrast I took my CBF1000 out for a blast last night after I got home and even on the move the heat from the engine was cooking my shins. And the CBF is actually not that bad for heat. Modest power output and lack of fairing enclosing the engine means it’s not quite as oven-like as other bikes.

My old FireBlade was a nightmare in warm weather. Any speed below 45mph and the temperature would just climb and climb, the fan would spin up and searing heat would blow across your legs. Then after a while the heat conducted into the frame and then the tank. After an urban commute even the seat could be too hot to touch with a bare hand.

Clothing-wise I stick to my established combination of Hood Kevlar jeans with my old Richa leather jacket. I’ve had the jacket since 1997 and although looking rather distressed, it’s tough and allows loads of air to circulate. In this weather I remove all armour. It’s a trade-off of comfort and alertness for reduced safety, but that armour just acts like insulating material.

I do still wear full length Gore-Tex boots, but that’s only because my only alternative is standard shoes. I never invested in warm weather bike boots. Then I have some Knox Orsa MX gloves that are probably a bit light for high speed road use, but super-vented and stop sweaty hands.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear the same £15 carboot find textile jacket all year round. It's waterproof, but not Goretex. I sweat like a pig. I do have a leather non-bike jacket I sometimes wear, the stitching wouldn't last 10 seconds if I came off but it's far more comfortable. I wear my work trousers or normal jeans, with waterproofs if it's wet. These too aren't Goretex, and can end up wet anyway.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
( 8< )

Not manly enuff. Try koteka.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/revit-eclipse-jacket-black?nosto=productpage-personal-brand-1#?p

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:58 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought my Richa all weather textile for £30 on ebay. about 40% Mesh panel outer layer, WP/windproof zip in membrane, zip in thermal
liner. You can have any combination of layers you like. I went out for an hours bimble last night in just the outer layer and it was the coolest I had been all day.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 27 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wear a thong, keeps me cool. I have modified it to allow plastic insert in the front, made from an old piece of leather this means I am safe.

Seriously you should try it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last 6 weeks I've done about 7k - and while for the most part it's been great, there've been a few times when it got daft. I was okay if I kept moving but once things slowed to 5mph or below - fiddly filtering etc. - ugh. Gear - T-shirt under my Wulfsport jacket, and then me standard spada troos. All year round boots: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=324982

My bike does definitely get hot (nineja c2) - wow it gets hot. Hot and angry. Hot, angry and wants to fight. But my determinedly serene vibes soothe it, and eventually it starts to relax and behave itself. I've become accustomed to the fan staying on a minute or two after stopping (it's on a live feed) but the other day it was going bonkers. Normally it sounds like a hand dryer - but this time it was more like a pissed off Harrier jump jet.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
I just wear a thong, keeps me cool. I have modified it to allow plastic insert in the front, made from an old piece of leather this means I am safe.

Seriously you should try it.

I'll buy my own thanks.
Cheers for the offer though. Thumbs Up

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:53 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 piece vented baselayer. Stops sweat getting into bike stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Liono
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:53 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leather jacket, Nike Dri-Fit t-shirt and a Kriega hydropack. Undo jacket zip halfway when at low speeds and use the hydropack to get the t-shirt wet and then benefit from the lovely evaporative cooling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been living in an RST Ventilator jacket with the shoulder and elbow armor swapped out for forcefield net armor. Annoyingly it's discontinued. I've lost a load of weight so my Aldi jeans won't stay up, and I've found my old pair of RST (R14?) leather trousers are quite comfortable as long as I'm moving.

Coolmax or similar socks and t-shirt or a Beka Coolwear onese if I can be bothered.

I have finally conceeded my AltBergs are a bit warm in this weather and bought some sporty and vented TCX boots. Interestingly the toe box is bulkier than on previous sporty and sport touring boots I've tried, 7 years ago now, but it used to be the case I needed to adjust the gear shift to get my altbergs in, now they're my slim boots.

It's interesting looking at the CE ratings of the latest kit, all but the cheapest and fashionwear leathers i've looked at have been AAA but you need to spend serious money on nylon textile kit to get above an A.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 238 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2