Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anyone had a Bandit 12 and a Street Triple?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:54 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Anyone had a Bandit 12 and a Street Triple? Reply with quote

I've had a STR for four years now and Im looking at changing it and trying something else. I've always quite fancied trying a 1200 Bandit but never ridden one.

I know it's heavier and less precise than the Triumph, but does it still have that hooligan character egging you on all the time?

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. Laughing

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The naked one, not the barge-like version with fairing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone had a Bandit 12 and a Street Triple? Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

I know it's heavier and less precise than the Triumph, but does it still have that hooligan character egging you on all the time?

I've never ridden a Bandit 12, so don't speak from experience, but I'd say better to have a hooligan bike that handles than one that'll encourage you to wind open the throttle only to find it can't cope with the performance it's delivering. Unless you want a serious adrenaline rush each time it ties itself in knots Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:56 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the naked one (or a faired one converted depending on price).

Is the handling on the bandit really that bad? The Triple is waaay beyond what I need on the road.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Definitely the naked one (or a faired one converted depending on price).

Is the handling on the bandit really that bad? The Triple is waaay beyond what I need on the road.

Handling is adequate. The bars are a bit wide for my liking. I get arm ache after a long journey. But that's why I have the gsx1250.

Bandit is great for hooning about the lanes. It's a wheelie machine.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:08 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Handling is adequate...Bandit is great for hooning about the lanes. It's a wheelie machine.

I'd probably like it then. I'm quite keen on delving into hedges and other roadside decoration Laughing

B5234FT wrote:

I don't know Laughing
But I suspect the weight, as you mentioned, will be a limiting factor. You could of course budget in suspension upgrades, and I must admit, I like the sound of that torquey motor, although perhaps even my perception of that is outdated.

But sure, if you want a straight line hooligan, it's probably not a bad choice if your budget is restricted. You can tune the nuts off those engines, after all Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
The Triple is waaay beyond what I need on the road.

No it's not.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bandit is just a low calorie alternative to a GSXR 1100 with less power, crap suspension and a steel frame. I don’t get the appeal when butchered GSXR’s are still common (if you like that flat bar unfaired shit).

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:02 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone had a Bandit 12 and a Street Triple? Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
but does it still have that hooligan character egging you on all the time?

I haven't owned either, but I have ridden both.

I'd say no/a lot less so.
Depending on what model Street Triple too - but they were always a premium naked, while the bandit was also a budget naked not much about a generic commuter.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit in its day was seen as a working class fairly effective cheap stunt bike. There was nothing more affordable off the peg, so that doesn't make it a great stunt bike of its time as less so today.

A converted Fireblade would have been many times better for stunting, as was the already mentioned cradle framed GSXR's if you spent the time and money converting them.

Im surprised chicken strip didn't say buy a naked Fazer 1000, as that's probably a better more entertaining wheelie machine than a std bandit 12.

Bandit's arnt so cheap now, and more of a cult bike with classic tax being applied to them. Not so sure I'd swap an STR for one unless my meds had stopped working?

Be interested to hear Paddy's view, as he's always been a big advocate of the inborn silliness built into the STR.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember my old chap having a Mk1 1200, he nearly dropped a pillion off the back after an 'energetic' traffic light launch. Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:55 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Im surprised chicken strip didn't say buy a naked Fazer 1000, as that's probably a better more entertaining wheelie machine than a std bandit 12.

I get the impression the Fazer 1000 is a much better bike than the Bandit overall, but with perhaps less low down grunt, but the OP wasn't asking for alternative suggestions. And besides, as you have demonstrated Smile , my preference is pretty well known here by now.

The earlier carburetted Fazer like mine wasn't made in a naked version anyway, only the later FZ1, although obviously you could rip the fairing off - don't know why you'd want to on an un-crashed example though.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:58 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - I missed that it was the street triple not the speed triple.

Massive difference then.

Basically, you're swapping your motorcycle for a boat anchor with an engine!

I'm pretty convinced the bike always parked outside screwfix with a 'bandit' cover was actually a decent bike... they just knew no one would bother with it with that cover on it Smile.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned one, ridden the other, both over hyped and ultimately disappointing. Can't imagine a STR being too much for anyone. Bandit 12 was okish in the day, heavy, crap brakes, fork seals made of plasticine but a half decent engine. STR, underpowered, uncomfortable, suspect build quality, crap suspension even on the R.
Save your money and look at something else, both are crap IMO. Modern or retro I could think of loads of bike I would buy rather than them 2. But thats just me, each to their own.

OGR

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:15 - 30 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a striple a few years back and I currently have a B12.

Not very similar bikes IMHO. The striple was light and revvy with power at the top end. The bandit is heavier, poorly sprung as standard and all the power is low down.

You can probably be a hooligan on any bike but it seemed easy on the striple.

Although its naked I mainly use the bandit for touring but I am an old boring bastard.
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:26 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I have a round headlught street triple R. It's great fun, quick enough to be entertaining on the roads around me and I've never found the limits of handling unless I've made some obvious mistake.

I'm looking to sell it and because I temporarily want to use the money for other things, and I prefer owning things I dont worry about, I was looking with a budget of £1500-2k to buy another naked, ideally similar performance to the triple, which is good fun.

Open to suggestions, but Fazer 1000s seem to be more expensive and not at all common. 900 Hornet crossed my mind too.

It's less about where the power is, as much as the overall character of the bike TBH. The triple is grin inducing in a way that an SV650 just isnt.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 31 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

It's less about where the power is, as much as the overall character of the bike TBH. The triple is grin inducing in a way that an SV650 just isnt.

Character is just the sum of a bike's faults.
So buy a really old, unreliable dog of a bike - character in spades!
Or buy an Enfield...

I'm not really helping, am I? Laughing

Despite what OGR says, the problem is, you're starting with a very good bike. Since owning my Striple, I've lost interest in trying anything much else, unless it's way over any budget I might have had.

Thinking

Still not helping, really...

Look, it has to be said. Buy a time machine and go back to when 2 strokes were common and affordable. Problem solved Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:27 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandits are what you make of them. I laugh at the idea of the Bandit brakes being litter, the street triple still has 2 pot sliding shit as standard, unless you spring for the fantastically expensive 'R' model. Even in '96 the Bandit had 4 pot Gix brakes. Bandits are poorly sprung out of the box, but so is every bike, the MT-09 being a particularly lucid example. Bandits are cheap, have an unburstable motor that responds incredibly well to mild tuning, are a simple machine to work on and can be made to do whatever you want to do.

Having had both a Striple and a Bandit, I know what I would rather have in the long run. Just don't get a Mk2.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridden all three. Striple is a little cramped for long journeys, otherwise great fun. Bandit large and unwieldy. Needs mods to be like the triumph. Owned 2 hornet 900s, would recommend if you can find an unmolested one in budget. But, if I wanted hooligan fun, then I'd also consider a hornet 600 in fine fettle, and add a few horses and shave off some kilos.

Moxey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned an 09 Street R and a 03 1200 also ridden 2 mk 1 1200's.

The STR was in a whole different league ride wise, handled, braked and I would say accelerated quicker than a stock Bandit, overall it's a far superior machine to ride for say a weekend blast out.

The mk 1 bandits are still fun in their own way, just 'numb' compared to the Triumph but I would say better for touring and commuting (still not the best).

Mk 2 1200s had a bit of an identity crisis I think, I liked mine still.

TheBikerStig
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:54 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone had a Bandit 12 and a Street Triple? Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
I've had a STR for four years now and Im looking at changing it and trying something else. I've always quite fancied trying a 1200 Bandit but never ridden one.

I've had 2 1250s if that counts. They're decent enough bikes to ride and the engine itself is bombproof. However I found they are not very reliable bikes.

Not sure what you mean by a hooligan character, but I was always happy enough cruising 90 or so mph. Flat out I got over 150 on one of them.
Some say that he is the sole survivor of Atlantis, and that he refused to speed test a new Hayabusa this morning simply because there was no milk for his Brexit. All we know is hes called TheBikerStig.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Anyone had a Bandit 12 and a Street Triple? Reply with quote

TheBikerStig wrote:

Not sure what you mean by a hooligan character.

A hooligan bike is encourages you to stand on the footpegs, drop your kegs and moon at a bus stop full of girls before riding away at max revs chortling loudly.

A Bandit encourages you to stop, get off and help grannies across the road (because you're so bored you can't stand sitting on it any longer

HTH Thumbs Up Cool

signed, an ex Striple owner.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:15 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
Bandits are what you make of them. I laugh at the idea of the Bandit brakes being litter, the street triple still has 2 pot sliding shit as standard, unless you spring for the fantastically expensive 'R' model. Even in '96 the Bandit had 4 pot Gix brakes. Bandits are poorly sprung out of the box, but so is every bike, the MT-09 being a particularly lucid example. Bandits are cheap, have an unburstable motor that responds incredibly well to mild tuning, are a simple machine to work on and can be made to do whatever you want to do.

Having had both a Striple and a Bandit, I know what I would rather have in the long run. Just don't get a Mk2.

I like the idea of an early Bandit with the kind of mods you get up to! Drooling
But by the time I'd finished with one and got it how I like it, I could have bought a Street Triple R three times over, and it would be even less suitable for going round corners Laughing
There are plenty of secondhand STRs around that you wouldn't need to lay out silly money for one - all they need is a bit of suspension fettling, but like you say, what doesn't out of the box these days?
As for owning in the long run, depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to do lots of longer trips, or if you want to build a beast to launch up the strip, sure, the Bandit makes more sense. But if it's going to be a pure scratching tool, my money would go on the Triumph.

Signed, another ex-Striple owner Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1