BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Roundabouts - Who's right?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find me a "standard" roundabout, It might just be a doncaster thing, but every roundabout that's two lanes wide or more has some kind of modified traffic flow. Right hand lane for straight on or two lanes turning right.

I took my car test last year. AA instructor beforehad was trying to train me out of lifesaver checks becasue not required. Former biker as well.
talkToTheHat wrote:
I don't care if who's right, if I don't check i'm still going to hospital

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left lane on a dual roundabout is for the first or second exits only, unless arrows state left only. Trying to take the third exit will conflict with the right lane taking the second exit. Breaking rules requires extreme care and consideration.
On a 3 junction roundabout where the second exit is to the right, this ofcourse means you can turn right from the left lane - but you can not take the third exit.. However its perfectly acceptable to enter on the left, then move over to the right lane before the second exit to allow taking the third or later exits.

Where the left lane has a left (only) arrow, it is acceptable to turn left from the right hand lane. Extreme caution is required and I do this often, being prepared to give way/continue round/avoid if the left traffic ignores the rule.

Similarly this often causes a vast queue of traffic in the right lane for going straight on. There is a dual lane entry, wide, but single exit roundabout on my commute. Most days I will break this rule, and go straight on from the left - which I technically count as filtering, and wouldnt do in a car. Requires only small amound of caution but often a good handfull of throttle.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:55 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
MCN wrote:
You misquote me. I never said use any lane to turn right.

That's how it sounds to me...

MCN wrote:

Unless lanes are marked with arrows you can enter in the left and either take the first turn or the next or the next.

You're clearly trolling here. Even your picture backs up my side of the argument and derails yours. You should not cross several exits in the left lane on a 2 lane roundabout. You should definitely use the inside lane to turn right as already proved to you.

That's how it sounds?

I wrote a post, I didn't call you up and speak to you.

So what do you mean “sounds“ like?

Is English not your first language?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone on here wheelie round a roundabout?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I bet everyone else understood it. Is there not a grown up who can explain it for you?

Why are you being such an arse? It’s not my fault you don’t understand how to use a roundabout. I didn’t give you a driving licence.

I was trying to help you.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
No you weren't, this is pure white noise and adds nothing to the discussion....

What is white noise?

Oh you....

That is a sound isn't it.

Razz

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Roundabouts - Who's right? Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:

1. Van positions himself to come off to the left. Car is indicating left as van looks like going left too.
https://i.imgur.com/VPHPSLz.jpg

2. Van goes round roundabout to right instead of turning off and side swipes the car ( he didn't check if there was anything in his blindspot ).

https://i.imgur.com/DzAwQVE.jpg

So the question is, who's at fault?

They say a picture paints a thousand words....

In this case your pictures pose more questions.

You do not say which entry the vehicles joined the roundabout? Going to make a difference to who is right or wrong Rolling Eyes

Which means no one can give a answer.

Only quote the rules of the road ASSUMING that they have joined at the same entry point. Karma

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:01 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Left lane on a dual roundabout is for the first or second exits only, unless arrows state left only. Trying to take the third exit will conflict with the right lane taking the second exit. Breaking rules requires extreme care and consideration.
On a 3 junction roundabout where the second exit is to the right, this ofcourse means you can turn right from the left lane - but you can not take the third exit.. However its perfectly acceptable to enter on the left, then move over to the right lane before the second exit to allow taking the third or later exits.

Where the left lane has a left (only) arrow, it is acceptable to turn left from the right hand lane. Extreme caution is required and I do this often, being prepared to give way/continue round/avoid if the left traffic ignores the rule.

Similarly this often causes a vast queue of traffic in the right lane for going straight on. There is a dual lane entry, wide, but single exit roundabout on my commute. Most days I will break this rule, and go straight on from the left - which I technically count as filtering, and wouldnt do in a car. Requires only small amound of caution but often a good handfull of throttle.

You are wrong on many points.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:15 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the video. I don't think either of them are in the wrong. It was just a nearly shit situation which could have been avoided in hindsight.
BMW could have indicated and did a shoulder check. Motorbike could have taken it easier and not overtook near an exit.
If insurance got involved, there would be one disappointed party and one satisfied (assuming nobody got injured).

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:04 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is obvious by many of these posts that people need to take further education with their knowledge of the road, knowing what is right or what is correct, when right of way is given not taken.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:42 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread is like reading pistonheads.
Sad times. Sad

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
It is obvious by many of these posts that people need to take further education with their knowledge of the road, knowing what is right or what is correct, when right of way is given not taken.

Agree. Scary isn't it. 😣

If the exit you want is past 12:00 (regardless of what exit number it is) - use the right lane with a right indicator that swaps to a left indicator after passing the exit before it.

Assuming it's not clearly marked to do something different obvs.

Regardless .... People do use the left lane to go right and the right lane to go left. That's never going the change as long as the DVLA continue giving licenses away with the limited training people get now.

Plan for it and survive. 😁👍

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Skudd wrote:

Agree. Scary isn't it. 😣

If the exit you want is past 12:00 (regardless of what exit number it is) - use the right lane with a right indicator that swaps to a left indicator after passing the exit before it.

Assuming it's not clearly marked to do something different obvs.

Regardless .... People do use the left lane to go right and the right lane to go left. That's never going the change as long as the DVLA continue giving licenses away with the limited training people get now.

Plan for it and survive. 😁👍

Do you mean correct lane/indicator?

Or the one on the right side?

Razz

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3