Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How much is a reasonable price to replace types?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 04 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
It would still be far cheaper, better choice and newer stock if you buy online and pay their fee to fit.

Not strictly true.
A lot of smaller bike repairers do not carry any stock of tyre and so rely on next day or later-in-the-day delivery from suppliers.

Only issue is if they can get the tyre you specifically want.
Maybe an equivalent will be offered.

Last edited by MCN on 11:43 - 05 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tenner a tyre sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Quit complaining you tight-wad.

He has overheads, and the guy deserves to make a living too.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:43 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Tenner a tyre sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Quit complaining you tight-wad.

He has overheads, and the guy deserves to make a living too.

No..

They should do it for free.

Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:01 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP has had the tyres fitted yet?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:08 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

booked in for tomorrow... with another place in the next town... 20 quid including balancing...

The local guy was 20 quid for tyre fitting only not weight balencing...

Just means ill be eating pasta with tomato ketchup for a day or two :p

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get my new tyres fitted for free, I just pay cost for disposal and a new valve

How??

Because I buy the tyres through the same tyre place that fits them and I've used that place for 18 years. I understand that everyone needs to make money, and having a relationship with a shop like that means it actually works out cheaper that buying online and hunting for a cheap fitting price..

Rolling Eyes

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:49 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my own tyres on. I do make myself a cup of tea afterwards to say thank you (plus a biscuit if it is a rear tyre which is harder work), but no cash is handed over.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:14 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:
I put my own tyres on. I do make myself a cup of tea afterwards to say thank you (plus a biscuit if it is a rear tyre which is harder work), but no cash is handed over.

Fair Exchange is No Robbery.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

yen_powell wrote:

If I were you I'd pay myself, then spend it on something I want without wifie making me feel guilty Cool

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
I get my new tyres fitted for free, I just pay cost for disposal and a new valve

How??

Because I buy the tyres through the same tyre place that fits them and I've used that place for 18 years. I understand that everyone needs to make money, and having a relationship with a shop like that means it actually works out cheaper that buying online and hunting for a cheap fitting price..

Rolling Eyes

Problem is, my local place refuse to order in anything half-decent without an hour or so of cajoling. They then bumped the price to £20 a hoop, irrespective of you buying through them or bringing in loose wheels, and you had to take the old ones away.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:17 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Problem is, my local place refuse to order in anything half-decent without an hour or so of cajoling. They then bumped the price to £20 a hoop, irrespective of you buying through them or bringing in loose wheels, and you had to take the old ones away.

The place I use is not my local place. Search for a better one. Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:35 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
The place I use is not my local place. Search for a better one. Thumbs Up

I fit my own now, but I was quite happy using them before they got silly.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 07:00 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like paying over a fiver a loose wheel.
When the price at most trackdays went up to £12.50, I got a manual bead breaker and did them all myself.
I had to do the tyres on my mum's bike too, which meant I had easily recouped the cost of the extra kit in a week.
While it does take a little longer to do, still less time than taking them to a tyre place, waiting, paying etc.

Prices may have gone up now, but always used to use Ride in Tyres in Reading that was a very small place with low overheads.

Way-back my time would occasionally be chargable to clients for the tech company I worked for. If it was, it was charged at £1k per day.
Of course, I saw a tiny fraction of that being salaried and not on that great a salary there - but that covered a good range of overheads.
When you got paid £300 a day, you get paid for the whole day, including toilet breaks, pontificating and the like.
A tyre guy also doesn't have the security of work every day - how many people do you think were getting their tyres done during 'the best from the east'?

However, while I quite understand that, it doesn't mean I'm going to pay out if I can do the job for less myself.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:19 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
I don't like paying over a fiver a loose wheel.
When the price at most trackdays went up to £12.50, I got a manual bead breaker and did them all myself.
I had to do the tyres on my mum's bike too, which meant I had easily recouped the cost of the extra kit in a week.
While it does take a little longer to do, still less time than taking them to a tyre place, waiting, paying etc.

Prices may have gone up now, but always used to use Ride in Tyres in Reading that was a very small place with low overheads.

Way-back my time would occasionally be chargable to clients for the tech company I worked for. If it was, it was charged at £1k per day.
Of course, I saw a tiny fraction of that being salaried and not on that great a salary there - but that covered a good range of overheads.
When you got paid £300 a day, you get paid for the whole day, including toilet breaks, pontificating and the like.
A tyre guy also doesn't have the security of work every day - how many people do you think were getting their tyres done during 'the best from the east'?

However, while I quite understand that, it doesn't mean I'm going to pay out if I can do the job for less myself.

Pontificating.

Yeah, you still do that a lot.

Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 07:26 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the real Tef' please stand up, please stand up!

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:56 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£10 per wheel is a reasonable price. With all the work involved I would rather pay. I would only consider doing the work myself if I had to do it often. My time and effort of me doing it with balancing, valve change, tyre disposal with risk of scratching wheels is worth more than 10 quid, I'd rather watch someone else use pro-equipment and do it is much shorter time for that money.

They invested money in proper tools, why would they have to lower the prices for using them?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:01 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
booked in for tomorrow... with another place in the next town... 20 quid including balancing...

Spaghetti hoops?

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:41 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

Spaghetti hoops?

Actually ive managed to to upgrade it to bean stew ;p

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:44 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean stew and the tyres are on your bike? Mr. Green

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:40 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got 4x car tyres and 1x front mc tyre done for 37.50. 👍 local guy that does it outside his normal job.

Chucked him £40 👍👍

Happy with that.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was talking to mate of mine in the tyre trade a bit over a year ago and one of the big manufacturers had let their sales manager for the South East go as his sales had dropped too much.

It was pointed out by my mate that 20 years ago when we had the original Pirelli Dragon Corsa tyres we expected to get 2000 miles out of them if we were lucky. These days you would expect 3-4000 miles from a full on race tyre on the road so 50-100% more mileage.

When I bought my ER6 new in 2009 it came with Bridgestone 020 sport touring tyres which I got 7500miles out of. My ER6 is now fitted with Avon Storm2 Ultras which just seem to last forever and are considerably cheaper at £160 a pair.

So over the last 20 years tyre prices have dropped and longevity has gone up considerably. At the same time the machinery for fitting tyres has gone up in price.

With a good tyre machine now costing lets say £2000 and a balancer at £2000 (prices checked on www.probike.co.uk) while charging £10 per wheel for a tyre change a dealer is looking at changing 400 tyres to cover the capital cost outlay before they make a profit.

So less tyres being sold as they last longer, Higher capital outlay.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4