Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Damaged faring plastics.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:33 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Damaged faring plastics. Reply with quote

Having had the fairings off of the TDM a few times now, a couple of the plastic mountings have fallen off, some I've managed to recover, some are just missing.

I'd like to try and get the brackets back in order so a I don't lose a panel!

I was thinking of using metal 'L' shaped brackets and somehow gluing to the faring?

Any other suggestions to try?

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Damaged faring plastics. Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
I was thinking of using metal 'L' shaped brackets and somehow gluing to the faring?

I've done exactly that, in the past.
I used the thinnest sheet metal I could find to make the brackets, my thoughts were that it would allow a bit of flex, if there were alignment issues. I "glued" them on using some JB weld plastic metal stuff.
I still had some of the original lugs left on the fairing which, presumably, added a bit more strength.

I've also just drilled holes through the fairing and used some large head allen screws!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 24 Jul 2018    Post subject: Re: Damaged faring plastics. Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
Having had the fairings off of the TDM a few times now, a couple of the plastic mountings have fallen off, some I've managed to recover, some are just missing.

What is the fairing made of? There could well be a grid moulded into the plastic on the inside somewhere, saying when it was made; there should also be an indication of the material, e.g. PP=polypropylene, GRP=glass-reinforced plastic, ABS=acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, PA+ABS+GF15=polyamide mixed with ABS plus 15% glass fibre, etc, etc.

Any indications?

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:01 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Damaged faring plastics. Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
LustyLew wrote:

What is the fairing made of? There could well be a grid moulded into the plastic on the inside somewhere, saying when it was made; there should also be an indication of the material, e.g. PP=polypropylene, GRP=glass-reinforced plastic, ABS=acrylonitrile butadiene styrene, PA+ABS+GF15=polyamide mixed with ABS plus 15% glass fibre, etc, etc.

Any indications?

Sorry for the delay, it says >ABS< then the part number.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:41 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I use for my canoeing is West Systems G-flex thickened epoxy. Marvellous stuff.

Can be thickened to the consistency of peanut butter with glass or polymer balloons (use a tiny amount of epoxy, it goes a long way) or used on its own or with fibreglass cloth. It's super strong. You may even be able to glue the broken bits back on with it.

If you're using it (or any other adhesive) on ABS, you should briefly run a blue blowtorch flame over the surface of the plastic which is to be bonded first, doesn't have to melt/damage the surface in any way, just enough to get it hot to touch. There was a good and compelling chemical reason for doing this which makes a much stronger bond that I forget.

Do not get any sort of epoxy on your skin, you can become sensitised to it. Wear nitrile gloves.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.plastex.net

That stuff is made for ABS.

Very easy to use.

Very strong.

I repaired all the lugs and filled a small hole with it when my bike went in horizontal mode at speed one day. Embarassed

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Very easy to use.

Very strong.

I repaired all the lugs and filled a small hole with it when my bike went in horizontal mode at speed one day. Embarassed

Is there a UK importer?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:47 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Damaged faring plastics. Reply with quote

LustyLew wrote:
(Riejufixing: What's your fairing made of? Sorry for the delay, it says >ABS< then the part number.

OK, I have had some small experience using MEK (methyl ethyl ketone = butanone) to repair ABS. It's very good, and easy to do.

Get some MEK in a suitable container, I used a clean Marmite jar (the lid is not affected by MEK), and in it put some shavings of ABS (donor plastic can be from ABS pipe fittings or whatever - model shops also sell sheets of ABS in different colours). The ABS will dissolve in the MEK in a few minutes or overnight if thick pieces used. I used about half a white ABS conversion socket bend from Wickes, £0.99p, in about 1/3 of a jar of MEK.

This makes excellent "glue" to join ABS parts. It's actually a "solvent weld", i.e. the MEK/ABS when applied to the broken part dissolves the surface of each part, and as the solvent evaporates, the parts become one piece of plastic and so are joined.

You can use the ABS/MEK mix to build up components that have been lost or worn away.

There're some pics of my first ABS repair attempt here: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=324885&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Edit: From this:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101310

To this:
https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101307

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cripes, you're in Erith. I thought that was in Scotland, but no it's London. Still a long way from MK where I've got about 900ml of "spare" MEK. You can get a litre delivered for less than a tenner (eBay).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 07 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
MCN wrote:

Very easy to use.

Very strong.

Is there a UK importer?

eBay.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Going to give the plastex a go.

I could always go find another TDM and steal the panel! Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1