Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

(un)Dead ninja

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: (un)Dead ninja Reply with quote

I'm totally gutted.

I replaced the brushes in the starter motor tried to start the bike but it sounded like it wasn't engaging the flywheel, after messing around with the starter several times I decided to try bump starting it and got a weird clicking sound from the gearbox when rocking it back and forward.

I noticed the sight glass was completely black, so took the filler cap off and it stank of petrol, so I drained the oil, according to the side of the bike it should take 3.8l from empty and I drained about 10 litres from it.

Not sure how long it's been like that, but I filled it up the other day and done about 4-5 miles and the tank was half empty (now I know why).

So the question is, how f**ked is the engine? Is it worth even stripping it down or should I be looking at second hand engines?

I'm guessing this is down to a carb failure

Last edited by andym on 16:23 - 06 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the oil and filter and fire it up. What do you have to lose? It’ll either be fucked or run fine.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive way to flush the engine.

Anyway, What he said, drain, fill, start. Any damage will already have been done. Only other thing you might want to do is pull the plugs and spin it up to make sure there's no fuel puddled in the cylinders.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problem with trying to start it is the starter isn't engaging, it's just spinning
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't blow out any oil seals, then as Pete said I'd just look at it as a very expensive engine flush. On the positive side after that much unleaded in the sump there can't be any signs of sludge left now.

I'd do cheap oil and new filter and try it out. It'll probably be a bit noisy (even compared to the normal bag of spanners Kawasaki sound) as the oil will probably still be a bit thin. If it starts and runs ok, do a good ride up to temp and change oil again for your normal stuff.

If it did 4-5miles it might not have done any real damage, and most of the fuel probably entered the sump after you'd parked it up on the side stand.

Need to strip and look at the carbs, fuel tap, filters etc first though maybe?

I drained 11litres of oil+ coolant from a Rover K-series sump once that got a touch too hot. I tried fresh oil+filter and coolant+ a bottle of K-seal and it started as well as it ever did, and stopped smoking after about 20 miles. Still needed the head gasket changing eventually but it ran ok and no bearings were spun or wreaked by a big of water.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 03 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little mess around with the bike today, got the stator cover off and somehow after replacing the brushes in the starter it's turning backwards Confused

I was able to crank the engine over by hand and there's a hissing sound at the bottom of the engine.

Also the neutral light has disappeared, so I'll need to see where the wire is supposed to be connected.

I did manage to get the carbs off, stripped, cleaned and refitted far too easily (last time it took about 2 hours of fighting to get them seated properly, this time I put a thin smear of grease around the lip of the inlet rubber and the carb just slid right in to place)

And the f**k up of the day.... started refilling the oil, then noticed a large puddle of it running towards me.... turns out I had left the stator cover loose Embarassed

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 06 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My replacement starter arrived this morning, so I decided to go fit it and see if it would turn the engine over the correct way.

When I opened the lockup there was at least a litre of oil on the floor (guess who forgot to add instant gasket Embarassed )

After fitting the starter and everything turned over as it should I decided to stop the oil pishing out, rather than drain it (as I don't have any containers left), I done this:
https://i.imgur.com/WxARPDZ.jpg

With everything sealed up again I got the tank on there and tried to start it.... then remembered to reconnect the fuel pump.... it was a bit sluggish at first... but IT'S ALIVE Very Happy

No nasty noises, no puddles of oil, no clouds of smoke etc

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
My replacement starter arrived this morning, so I decided to go fit it and see if it would turn the engine over the correct way.

When I opened the lockup there was at least a litre of oil on the floor (guess who forgot to add instant gasket Embarassed )

After fitting the starter and everything turned over as it should I decided to stop the oil pishing out, rather than drain it (as I don't have any containers left), I done this:
https://i.imgur.com/WxARPDZ.jpg

With everything sealed up again I got the tank on there and tried to start it.... then remembered to reconnect the fuel pump.... it was a bit sluggish at first... but IT'S ALIVE Very Happy

No nasty noises, no puddles of oil, no clouds of smoke etc

Nice! Thumbs Up
Dem chickenstrips tho Laughing Wink

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:54 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bike has clearly had enough of your shit Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:

Straight out of the Arcane book of Fixing Bikes.

Whip the forks off, and leave it for the council to collect, you'll be golden.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

but the rear tyre has about 100 miles on it and it hasn't run properly since and and and...... don't judge me wwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

I did get them down to about 1mm each side with the old tyre though.

Anyway, I took the bike to work the other day and there is still fuel getting in to the oil Evil or Very Mad

So it looks like 1 of the cylinders isn't firing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andym wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

but the rear tyre has about 100 miles on it and it hasn't run properly since and and and...... don't judge me wwaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

I did get them down to about 1mm each side with the old tyre though.

Anyway, I took the bike to work the other day and there is still fuel getting in to the oil Evil or Very Mad

So it looks like 1 of the cylinders isn't firing

Did you just clean the carbs or service with new float valves?
I take it all floats were at correct height too?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1