Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Puncture repair and axle greasing questions...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 08 Aug 2018    Post subject: Puncture repair and axle greasing questions... Reply with quote

Hi chaps,

I've come to ask the bcf font of all knowledge a few quick Q's

Recently got a screw right through my Metzler M7RR which has about 5mm of tread on. Twisted Evil (180/55/17)

It's not directly central to the tyre, more like half way from the centre line, to the edge of the tyre. If that makes any sense?

Anyway, 3 out of 3 bike shops said they probably couldn't plug it.

So I've bought a new one for piece of mind. (Anyone want the old one? Laughing )

So I've taken the rear wheel off by myself like a big boy...

Should I apply any grease to the axle when I put it back in, and if so, what type? Lithium?

Appreciated n00b help.

Ta. Thumbs Up

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`ve always used copper grease after polishing the shaft.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thin smear of Castrolease LM grease?

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
I`ve always used copper grease after polishing the shaft.

Oh, gosh. Erm...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:27 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it plugged, it'll be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:47 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would and have plugged a screw hole in a z-rated tyre. In fact, my record is three stab-through bungs in the same tyre AND I did a 156mph run on that tyre then proceeded to run it down to canvas round the middle (canvas with a bit of bung sticking out).

So yeah, I used stab throughs, you have the tyre off so could musroom it.

Anyway. I use a thin smear of copper grease anti-seize compound on the axle but am mindful it's mildly abrasive so make sure it's not present in quanitities it could contaminate any moving parts (the axle and inner races are stationary in-use). I have sealed bearings on all my bikes but if yours are open, you'd want to be careful no copper grease gets into them.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't use copper grease on an axle.

Use lithium grease myself. It's designed for use on bearings, moving parts etc..

Only use copper grease as anti-seize on things that aren't generally meant to move but may need to be 're-'moved at some point. I.e. back of pads, wheel nuts, bolts, brackets, etc..

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:

Use lithium grease myself. It's designed for use on bearings, moving parts etc..

Only use copper grease as anti-seize on things that aren't generally meant to move but may need to be 're-'moved at some point. I.e. back of pads, wheel nuts, bolts, brackets, etc..

Agree with this. Standard automotive grease for axles and moving parts, sidestand / foot rests etc.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i always use molybdenum grease for the spindle.

And yep, plug that tyre. It'll be fine. Thumbs Up

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:34 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Puncture repair and axle greasing questions... Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:

Recently got a screw right through my Metzler M7RR which has about 5mm of tread on. Twisted Evil (180/55/17)

If it is a small round hole on the tread area (not the sidewall), you can
repair it. Best to do a 'proper job' using a mushroom plug from the inside.

Irregular or linear cuts/splits/tears should not be repaired.

Quote:
(Anyone want the old one? Laughing )

Too far away for me to come and collect it Smile

Quote:
Should I apply any grease to the axle when I put it back in, and if so, what type? Lithium?

A small amount of standard bearing grease (LM or similar) should
make it easier to remove the axle next time.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:41 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:

The axle isn't a moving part and isn't meant to move, it just holds the bearings/wheels in place until they are clamped together. The wheel rotates because the outer races are a tight fit in the wheel and the inner race is firmly clamped between the spacers/fork legs and remains stationary. The bearings roll round against the inner race.

If your axle is rotating or something is rotating on your axle, there is something badly wrong.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:05 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper grease is not a panacea and can cause issues.
It is over used by most DIYers.

BWM specifically use a Castrol thread lubricant.

Optimol TA

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-Optimol-Paste-White-Now-Molub-Alloy-Universal-Assembly-Paste-100g/123203383253?hash=item1caf7e6fd5:g:JqkAAOSwBiBavMAR

Not cheap but you don't use it every day so the small tube will last a while.

I noticed on my BMW bikes that they use a white grease.
Further checks revealed it is the Castrol Optimol paste.

But I'm sure lots of folk on here will say rubbish use any grease.
But you asked specifically. Folk can use what they like. I use What the OEM recommends. Angelic

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks chaps!

I've just found a tub of this in the shed;

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p20027005/100g-Tub-Weldtite-TF2-Lithium-Grease-for-Wheels-and-Headsets/product_info.html

Says all purpose lithium grease on the back so hopefully a smidge of that will be golden lol

Now, to get the wheel back in. Pro mechanic me...

Ta chaps Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p20027005/100g-Tub-Weldtite-TF2-Lithium-Grease-for-Wheels-and-Headsets/product_info.html

Choke. Cough. Splutter. OW! My fingers are burning and I've only looked!

"Very thin smear advised!" Smile

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is an expert mechanic I get that bit, and nobody likes to peddle round a once heard opinion about which products to use etc etc.

People and professionals have been doing things certain ways that have always worked well, but no text book will ever tell you to use these methods, tools or products, for everything from paint preparation to oil seal or bearing removal and installation. But read out a text book and you'll sound the boss man on the Internet! Rolling Eyes

I too use a smear of copper grease on axle spindles, and in fact I'll use copper grease on every single nut and bolt, except the few that I don't want coming undone. To me this means only things like brake disc bolts, crankshaft pulleys, and clutch baskets etc.
Everything else on my bikes and cars will have copper grease applied. Caliper sliding pins is another favourite for the Internet experts. My take on this is that unless your going to use water proof or underwater grease on them, you'd be better applying copper grease so they won't seize as easily once you've hosed down the bike a few times.

Im sure some people think copper grease contains large quantities of silicon carbide and is another word for Valve grinding compound.

But then as I said I use copper grease more often than not on fasteners and so my bikes and car are the most dangerous lethal bodged to oblivion vehicles on BCF that are unsafe in every way possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
copper grease

I use Rocol anti-seize compound J166. Very good. My tin's so old that it is the "leaded" version, a little goes a long way. New stuff is lead-free.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:21 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Everyone is an expert mechanic I get that bit, and nobody likes to peddle round a once heard opinion about which products to use etc etc.

People and professionals have been doing things certain ways that have always worked well, but no text book will ever tell you to use these methods, tools or products, for everything from paint preparation to oil seal or bearing removal and installation. But read out a text book and you'll sound the boss man on the Internet! Rolling Eyes

I too use a smear of copper grease on axle spindles, and in fact I'll use copper grease on every single nut and bolt, except the few that I don't want coming undone. To me this means only things like brake disc bolts, crankshaft pulleys, and clutch baskets etc.
Everything else on my bikes and cars will have copper grease applied. Caliper sliding pins is another favourite for the Internet experts. My take on this is that unless your going to use water proof or underwater grease on them, you'd be better applying copper grease so they won't seize as easily once you've hosed down the bike a few times.

Im sure some people think copper grease contains large quantities of silicon carbide and is another word for Valve grinding compound.

But then as I said I use copper grease more often than not on fasteners and so my bikes and car are the most dangerous lethal bodged to oblivion vehicles on BCF that are unsafe in every way possible.

Someone asked what to use?

There is no point in saying use butter or marg in a sandwich with today's options on what to use.

There are specific reasons not to use copper in certain applications.

And there are many occasions where using butter or marg has no detrimental effect.

If someone asks why not give the most specific answer?

This is just one example of industry information.

https://www.rocol.com/articles/anti-seize-product-selection

There are DIYers (at everything) who do not have the faintest idea of what they are doing or even care.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a BIG ISSUE this has become, more than a thin skin of ANY grease and the inner races of the bearings will scrape it off meaning waste.
As said the shaft and inner races should not move therefore i use copper grease.

ZRX61
Victor Meldrew

PostPosted: 05:34 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:

Weldtite? What a brilliant name for a grease...

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copaslip is an anti seize carried in a grease but doesn't really function as a grease, from the website...

Quote:
COPASLIP™ is a high-performance compound specifically formulated to protect fasteners from seizure induced by extremes of temperature, pressure and corrosion.

So use it on fastners i.e the threads but nowhere else. The axle should be greased to prevent corrosion just not with copaslip.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Puncture repair and axle greasing questions... Reply with quote

bikertomm wrote:
Hi chaps,

I've come to ask the bcf font of all knowledge a few quick Q's

It's not directly central to the tyre, more like half way from the centre line, to the edge of the tyre. If that makes any sense?

Anyway, 3 out of 3 bike shops said they probably couldn't plug it.

So I've bought a new one for piece of mind. (Anyone want the old one? Laughing )

Bike shops do have rules they have to follow on puncture repairs
so I'm not surprised the shops you visited couldn't do them.

I personally never get my punctures repaired by a shop nowdays,
I use a plugging system which does the job well. Plus it's bloody
cheaper and more convenient.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1