Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

#ntdwi

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Boris was just removing himself from the obligation of having to try and put forward a paper that would never pass the anit-UK house of commons (defeat), while aligning himself with the majority view of the population (win).
A shrewd "Hey, he's one of us, he understands the problem", while not doing nothing about it.
I would like to think that he's just being honest (and maybe this is one of the views that led Trump to say he likes him), but it's very hard to believe a career politician.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see most of The Telegraph on-line because you have to register, but in the same article didn't Boris say banning the burqa was wrong? That seems to have got lost in the political witch hunt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:45 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I would like to think that he's just being honest (and maybe this is one of the views that led Trump to say he likes him), but it's very hard to believe a career politician.

Boris is very good at knowing what buttons to press to provoke a response which forces people and other MPs to pick a side.

I don't think he's quite a brutal as Trump but IMO he's not afraid to speak his mind.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are just about the only country in Europe not to ban it though.

Absolutely not got the balls to do anything except appease have our politicians. (and I'm not just talking about Islam).

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about women wearing those black letter-box thingies, unless it is in a situation where it is essential to be identified such as airport security, applying for a mortgage etc. As a non-muslim western honkey they do look a bit silly to me, but then so do Jewish skull-caps, Hindu turbans, Persian long, pointy slippers and the like... Come to think of it, so do hammer-pants, 'Manc' coats in the middle of summer, high-waist trousers and all manner of garb, but each to their own.

BJ is clearly making mischief and appealing to a base racism within the electorate....

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fuss is that it's not really optional for a lot of the women who wear it. I don't want to live in a country where half the population have to wear sacks.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:52 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see them as person sized CCTV envelopes, as in you can't see what or more importantly who is inside. You regularly
hear we are surveilled (pun intended) more than any nation anywhere in the world. So hardly a terrorists playground given
we are watched so much as we go about our business. What a fantastic way to move persons of the authorities interest from
place to place, enclave to enclave without being caught, yet in plain view. I mean height is no giveaway regardless of gender, as
most of them are pretty short compared to the anglo saxon average and after a lifetime of pumping out a succession of
muhammeds, the women are as oblong as the men. So build and silhouette are no obvious markers either. And how
clever (and convenient) to give the item of clothing religious relevance making people too fearful to challenge the wearers
in case of the obligatory and swiftly delivered accusations of islamaphobia and racism. Just fucking ban it, (unfortunately)
there's plenty of places on this globe where it's considered normal garb, how about they fuck off there if it means that much
to them? Apart from lack of gibs of course???

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:06 - 09 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I see them as person sized CCTV envelopes, as in you can't see what or more importantly who is inside. You regularly
hear we are surveilled (pun intended) more than any nation anywhere in the world. So hardly a terrorists playground given
we are watched so much as we go about our business. What a fantastic way to move persons of the authorities interest from
place to place, enclave to enclave without being caught, yet in plain view. I mean height is no giveaway regardless of gender, as
most of them are pretty short compared to the anglo saxon average and after a lifetime of pumping out a succession of
muhammeds, the women are as oblong as the men. So build and silhouette are no obvious markers either. And how
clever (and convenient) to give the item of clothing religious relevance making people too fearful to challenge the wearers
in case of the obligatory and swiftly delivered accusations of islamaphobia and racism. Just fucking ban it, (unfortunately)
there's plenty of places on this globe where it's considered normal garb, how about they fuck off there if it means that much
to them? Apart from lack of gibs of course???

Except that in Islam these days, women seem just as likely to commit acts of terrorism as men, and one thing a burka does is declare a person as someone of that faith.

I'm actually becoming more and more anti-Islam, but without going into it too deeply right now, I'm one of those people who prefer to avoid confrontation where possible, so I have largely held my tongue on the subject. And because if our Great (snicker) Leaders say we must have multiculturalism, there's not much I can do about it.
Perhaps with people like Boris (high profile, mainstream politicians) beginning to lift their heads above the parapet then, we may be able to start to do something about it. Unfortunately, Boris has been easy to discredit in the past, so I think it will require more than just him to make it happen.

On a more general note, that has been the problem with Brexit, Trump and many other things in recent years I think. The highest profile advocates of such change have always been easy to discredit for other things in the current socio-political climate. That doesn't necessarily mean they're wrong - just at odds with the, in my view, wrong direction that western societies are heading in.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:19 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I can't see most of The Telegraph on-line because you have to register, but in the same article didn't Boris say banning the burqa was wrong? That seems to have got lost in the political witch hunt.

Yep. That's part of what I was on about - being a Tory he's generally very against creating more laws.

Also though, by saying he's against creating a banning law, it means his critics can't really make a charge of being illiberal stick. How can he be against a ban and also be illiberal? It seems like a contradiction - and probably is one.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I thought Boris was just removing himself from the obligation of having to try and put forward a paper that would never pass the anit-UK house of commons (defeat), while aligning himself with the majority view of the population (win).
A shrewd "Hey, he's one of us, he understands the problem", while not doing nothing about it.

Fwiw I agree w/ all that - I just wanted to say, RE the first bit, he *is* doing that, but he's doing a few other things at the same time. That's why it's so clever - though it gauls me to admit it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about women wearing those black letter-box thingies, unless it is in a situation where it is essential to be identified such as airport security, applying for a mortgage etc. As a non-muslim western honkey they do look a bit silly to me, but then so do Jewish skull-caps, Hindu turbans, Persian long, pointy slippers and the like... Come to think of it, so do hammer-pants, 'Manc' coats in the middle of summer, high-waist trousers and all manner of garb, but each to their own.

BJ is clearly making mischief and appealing to a base racism within the electorate....

Even though I said otherwise above, I do kind of agree with this. It's just that I've found myself disliking - more and more - anything to do with Islam. That's prejudice. And probably passes for what most people would regard as racist too. And I do try and catch myself and question why I've started to think this way. But I'm just fucking sick of it all now, and I just wish we'd never gone down some multi-cultural route all those decades ago.

Btw, I think if - back then - white working class people had been asked if they wanted a multi-cultural society - and been properly informed about what that COULD entail (i.e. the divisiveness and extra competition for work, burden on benefits - whatever and etc.), I think most would've been against it.

Back then the working class was quite conservative - even those who voted Labour. They weren't particularly liberal-minded, progressive or cosmopolitan (nor would I have been if I'd have been around at that time). It's part of the islander mindset - insular, suspicious and only tolerant up to a point.

So I don't quite understand how we arrived at where we are today. If I have a go at an answer it looks like conspiracy shite - e.g. The Powers That Be Did It. The post-war Liberal elite - those trained in Eton, Marlborough and Harrow pulled the lever marked "unleash the darkies" - that'll give the working class something to fight, and distract them from the real targets i.e. us the privileged elite.

We won WWII but lost the peace. The Yanks instructed us that not only could we not afford an empire any more but that we had to somehow make reparations for the one we had. After all, hadn't we basically dragged the US into the war, and then loads of support from them to win it? (Actually the commies won it but bear with).

So I'm not sure whether it was a naive liberal elite that unwittingly embarked on a grand experiment of multi-culturalism or whether it was a combination of economic and cultural forces that brought us to this point.

It's just that I do feel oddly uncomfortable and yeah, a bit threatened, by the muslamic head gear stuff. It looks sneaky and weird.

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 18:52 - 10 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Historically, up until the beginning of this century (2000 not 1900) the amounts of immigrants were not particularly huge, and certainly not in particularly large numbers in a very small time frame. Even the Ugandan refugee crisis only resulted in 28000 coming to UK. There are still only about 1.5 million of Pakistani heritage in UK.

When talking about relatively recent immigration (2000 onwards) it was basically Labour trying to create a multi cultural society by mass immigration.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6418456/Labour-wanted-mass-immigration-to-make-UK-more-multicultural-says-former-adviser.html

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/648008/Tony-Blair-Labour-immigration-asylum-seekers-UK-Brexit-EU-referendum

However, other sources put it down to incompetence on Labours part rather than a political policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2015/mar/24/how-immigration-came-to-haunt-labour-inside-story

Whichever it was, it's a god forsaken fuck up. The country is full. There isn't enough housing, the NHS can't cope, state schools are failing. Of course not all this is due to immigration but when you have an extra few million every few years it's going to be hard to cope.

My generation was/is certainly a lot more insular than today's. As a generality I would say most of us do not agree with immigration and globalisation. Heaven help this country when we have all gone and the snowflakes don't have anyone to put the brakes on them when they open the borders completely.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
But I'm just fucking sick of it all now, and I just wish we'd never gone down some multi-cultural route all those decades ago.

Multiculturalism is a failure. If I moved to another country, I wouldn't expect them to accept all my ways, and would feel obliged to adopt the customs of that country. Anybody coming to live here should do the same. We should take what lessons we can from it and abandon the experiment.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
But I'm just fucking sick of it all now, and I just wish we'd never gone down some multi-cultural route all those decades ago.

Multiculturalism is a failure. If I moved to another country, I wouldn't expect them to accept all my ways, and would feel obliged to adopt the customs of that country. Anybody coming to live here should do the same. We should take what lessons we can from it and abandon the experiment.

Multiculturalism is a failure but it's proponents are still pushing it under the diversity banner.

People are encouraged to carry on with their imported lifestyle rather than embracing the British one. I have a friend in the marine field who is a second generation British Indian. He still supports India in the cricket even though he has never been to the country. Surely that's not a healthy mind set for integration and assimilation (borg style Wink )

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what's wound me up most about Borisgate is once again a conflict between what fits the media's narrative and the general public opinion.

In all the opinion polls I've seen, the vast majority are backing Boris.

However, in the media the portrayed message is generally the opposite. OK have to consider a fair debate etc etc but it's clear what they want you to think. Special mention to the Sky news woman that compared the Burqa wearers to Simon Weston

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:48 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
I think what's wound me up most about Borisgate is once again a conflict between what fits the media's narrative and the general public opinion.

However, in the media the portrayed message is generally the opposite. OK have to consider a fair debate etc etc but it's clear what they want you to think. Special mention to the Sky news woman that compared the Burqa wearers to Simon Weston

Do elaborate please.

Just found it, what a stupid stupid statement. Brick Wall

Last edited by Polarbear on 15:56 - 10 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:50 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

The media is another thing that is wrong with this country. They fail to accept any but a one-sided view (actually, I always thought news reporting should be coldly factual, but what do I know Rolling Eyes).
It is why certain elements of the population have been caught out by the Brexit and Trump phenomena, and still they blindly carry on with the same agenda, as if it were all just a blip, a passing fad.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our favourite islamic country Saudi Arabia (sure i have no idea why... Thinking ) bombs a school bus in Yemen, at least 29 children killed.

"The Saudi Arabian coalition later issued statement saying they conducted an airstrike in Saada, but were targeting missile launchers"

My eyesight isn't great but i think i could tell the difference between a bus ad a missile launcher Middle Finger

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:44 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely mental health issues, right? No mention...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45147682

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:27 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Surely mental health issues, right? No mention...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45147682

He can't be a real jihadist with a grotty beard like that.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Our favourite islamic country Saudi Arabia (sure i have no idea why... Thinking ) bombs a school bus in Yemen, at least 29 children killed.

"The Saudi Arabian coalition later issued statement saying they conducted an airstrike in Saada, but were targeting missile launchers"

My eyesight isn't great but i think i could tell the difference between a bus ad a missile launcher Middle Finger

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/more-blood-britain%E2%80%99s-hands-saudis-kill-children-bus-attack

Quote:
“British military advisers are directing war” in Yemen, citing direct advice given in operations rooms by British military personnel to Saudi air crews about aerial targeting.

2nd source from super hard lefty Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/15/british-us-military-in-command-room-saudi-strikes-yemen

3rd source from super righty telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/12102089/UK-military-working-alongside-Saudi-bomb-targeters-in-Yemen-war.html

4th source from Putin Propaganda

https://www.rt.com/uk/329173-british-military-advisors-yemen/

5th source from Skynews:

https://news.sky.com/story/exclusive-uk-helping-saudis-yemen-campaign-10333596

Oh and the MOD have admitted to it too.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:09 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advisors - The clue is in the word.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 10 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Which is meaningless.

Nations throughout history to the modern day have sent advisors to other nations.

Military advisors in numerous instances ended up flying aircraft, operating tanks and leading squads of troops.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Which is meaningless.

Nations throughout history to the modern day have sent advisors to other nations.

Military advisors in numerous instances ended up flying aircraft, operating tanks and leading squads of troops.

FFS Itchy, your hatred of the UK is getting you seeing things where there aren't any.

Here's a nice bit of China China's religious tolerance.

https://home.bt.com/news/world-news/thousands-in-china-mosque-stand-off-over-demolition-plan-11364288523102

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:45 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
FFS Itchy, your hatred of the UK is getting you seeing things where there aren't any..

Your fragility is showing. Laughing

FYI I was thinking of the Korean war. The USSR sent advisers to Kim Il-sung and the PVA forces. The advisers ended up being USSR MiG-15 pilots and T-34-85 tank commanders.

The same thing happened in Vietnam. Ah yes China sent advisers too. Strange how those MiG-17 19 and 21 pilots tended to speak Russian and Chinese.

The same thing happened in Sierra Leone. Nealls Ellis was an adviser too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bC0zPngc4c here is him doing his advising Very Happy

Polarbear wrote:

Yes and? You forget to mention churches, temples and other places of worship have been demolished too.

Here's the thing. Why be involved at all? It's happening thousands of miles away, it's not the UKs problem So why send advisers at all? Bad things are happening all over the world, the cherry picking of which conflicts to be involved in is rather silly. Intervention in the medium and long term as history has demonstrated has never ever worked out well.

The even BIGGER kicker is this The Houthis may well be bad people very very bad. But they've never had any involvement in terror attacks in the UK or Europe or anywhere outside Yemen. OTOH the Saudis on the other hand are the biggest promoter and financier of Salafist jihadism in the world.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 168, 169, 170  Next
Page 77 of 170