Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Damaged wheel - replace? UPDATE. REPAIRED.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
But I just couldn't imagine how they could do this damage - the bike didn't move anywhere.

Maybe the ferry hit a bump.

I'd squeeze/hammer it straight, pump up the tyre, dump it in the bath (Raydox optional).
No leak? Ride it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:22 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have quite happily use a press to push that back until I saw the price of a new Ducati wheel. Laughing

Let a firm with the expertise do it. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:39 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
Well thanks for the advice. Not many votes for "ignore it" so looks like I'm on for a load of cash one way or the other. Sad

Still no idea how it happened - I didn't hit any curbs, animals, potholes etc during the tour as far as I remember so a total mystery. A review of the pics taken during the tour suggest I've already done a good few hundred miles on it that way..

Are/Were you in America?

They have curbs there.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/kerb

Razz

(MCN: Fighting to keep British English British.)

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Are/Were you in America?

They have curbs there.

(MCN: Fighting to keep British English British.)

The use of curb for kerb should be curbed.

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 05 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that it's most likely been bent by a pothole.

I'm also guessing that your bike is only 6 months old. I wouldn't even contemplate leaving it be on something so new, not only because it looks bad, but I'd say it is probably quite dangerous.

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:17 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

Much Karma any many blessings to those of you who recommended https://www.motoliner.com/.

After a 90 mile trip down there today, I have just arrived home and can confirm they are excellent.

I rode in at 8am, they removed the wheel, tyre and brake disc, removed the paint from the damaged area, repaired it, repainted it, rebalanced it and refitted it. I was on my way home by 11.30.

Looking at my wheel now I literally can't even tell where the damage was. Well worth the £160.

Thumbs Up

P.S. the price is (much) reduced if you have the tools, knowledge and inclination to remove the wheel and/or tyre yourself and post it to them.

Last edited by BrownTrousers on 15:34 - 11 Aug 2018; edited 2 times in total

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
UPDATE

Much Karma any many blessings to those of you who recommended https://www.motoliner.com/.

After a 90 mile trip down there today, I have just arrived home and can confirm they are excellent.

I rode in at 8am, they removed the wheel, tyre and brake disc, removed the paint from the damaged area, repaired it, repainted it, rebalanced it and refitted it. I was on my way home by 11.30.

Looking at my wheel now I literally can't even tell where the damage was. Well worth the £160.

Thumbs Up

Pics?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:22 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Pics?

I didn't take any because I honestly couldn't tell which part of the wheel to take a picture of.

Just find a pic of a new Ducati wheel online and that is what it looks like.

(Okay, maybe in person an expert with a magnifying glass and decent light might be able to find the area where paint has been touched up, but in the street and in my garage I couldn't, and you wouldn't be able to on here from a photo taken on my phone).

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
repaired it

How? Did you see what they did exactly?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrownTrousers wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Pics?

I didn't take any because I honestly couldn't tell which part of the wheel to take a picture of.

In yous 1st pics of the wheel (1st post) the damage looks to be on the left side at the 11 O'Clock position.

Razz

Seriously it is somewhere between the spokes opposite the tire valve position.
Cool

BrownTrousers
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:52 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
BrownTrousers wrote:
repaired it

How? Did you see what they did exactly?

I asked them. They said they heat it up then use a hydraulic press
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 259 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2