Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Ceramic coating exhaust pipes.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Ceramic coating exhaust pipes. Reply with quote

After all the glorious hot weather, my Aprilia Falco has almost cooked me to a turn. V twins are a great method of getting down the road, quickly. Slim and with the weight completely central they make it easy to hustle. Trouble is, you are wrapped around a hot engine, with an even hotter back cylinder exhaust right under your ass. Not too bad on the move, but torture in slow or gridlocked traffic.
I decided to try Ceramic coating on the exhaust system as maybe the magic bullet, the claims looked good, reduced temperatures as well as improved performance.
In practice, it does nothing to reduce the temps of the actual downpipes, but DOES reduce the collector box temps. Seems the farther away from the cylinder head, the better it works. As the Aprilia has a collector box system of epic proportions, right under the crankcase, it has reduced running temps by at least five to eight degrees, but has not solved my hot bum problem.
Its not all bad. The coatings available are a viable alternative to polishing up old stained pipework and as the coating is both external and internal, might be a good way of preserving mild steel pipes. Its not too expensive either, £170 for my full system.
So, a five out of ten, it partially works and gives a pleasing finish to my grubby exhaust system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:00 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermodynamics 101 effectively means the same amount of heat will be generated and has to go somewhere. So you're altering the heat transmitting/radiating properties of the exhaust but not the overall amount of heat produced.

Carbon cans are very poor transmitters of heat. To the extent you can lean your panniers on them without them melting. Maybe some other strategic bits of carbon as heat sheilding?

You should try a V4! The frame on the right side of my VFR 750 gets too hot to touch and was preventing the reg/rec from heat-sinking until I drilled some holes in the plastics.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:34 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth wrapping them too?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 11 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You either vent heat out or block it's transmission by mechanical means.

Exhaust wrap and foil foil reduces radiant heat (Infrared).

Wrap reduces conducted and radiant heat.

Most under-seat/over zost heat shields are a combination of wadding and foil.

Or you could get really fruity with a Dremmel and some plastic pipes and bore some air vents/channels into the fairing and put a fan in there somewhere.

Or change for another bike.

Or MTFU. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1