Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mobile Phone Sat Navs

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

rocknrollarmy...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:19 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Mobile Phone Sat Navs Reply with quote

Hi People,
Just wondering if any of you wonderful lot, use a mobile phone app, instead of the Tom Tom, Garmin etc?
If yes, would you recommend a particular one etc..

Thanks for any help..
Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:31 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google maps.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google maps or waze, mostly waze as it has speed camera data

Last edited by owl on 22:54 - 14 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with Waze a bit recently, has a few nice features, but Google is still my go to for any actual navigation needs.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navmii

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using CoPilot with paid fro voice fro a few years works very well but hard on phone battery really NEED to charge on move !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:08 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom App and Sygic here

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google maps

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:25 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waze uses Google maps, but has a user updated warning feature, so that speed cameras, accidents, queues etc are updated as they happen. You up or down rate the information, so if you're passing a point where someone has reported a broken down car and it's not there, downrate it and it'll eventually drop off. It's a bit "Fisher-Price My First SatNav", but the system works well.

For a more professional looking SatNav with offline maps, I use Scout GPS, used to be called Skobbler. You get one country free, but can pay for others if you want. Every now and again they'll give one away, so can build up a collection.

Another good one is "Here We Go", AKA Here Maps, which used to be Nokia Maps, also offline so doesn't need a data connection.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Marlin
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:32 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Mobile Phone Sat Navs Reply with quote

scenic (iphone) on bike - curvy routes, making routes out of recorded trips, route editing, import and export of GPX, access to database of other's shared routes.

navmii in car - just to get places with traffic-aware routing.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:37 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waze - Good for the basics, speed cameras etc.

Google maps - You can save sections of the map for offline use. I head up into the hills a lot, not always a signal, so it's very useful for that.

spnorm
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:40 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used CoPilot a couple of times on holiday in the States as you can use it offline and it works really well.

It’s easy to set your destination and then drag the route or add waypoints so that it follows the roads you want to ride. At $10 it was far cheaper than buying maps for my bike GPS

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a couple of cheap chinese satnavs, and manually copy the maps on, also updated the maps of my MediaNav box in the car pretty much the same way. If for any reason the satnav gets knocked off the bike, dropped or stolen, it's of no consequnce, as the satnav only cost about £30.00 in the first place, by far and away cheaper than having to replace a damaged/broken phone, and possibly even having to wait for a replacement sim card.

Good for me, but then, I am a clumsy bugger !! Very Happy

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here WeGo

better interface than google for nav. has your speed and local speed limit. eta, miles to go, traffic delay. al laid out properly like a traditional sat nav.

also if you use for touring, it's got feature to download country maps (free) at home/on wifi for offline use and it's extremely accurate. I've been using it for nav around europe for years and it's been totally and utterly flawless.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

also just remembered there's an app that does a speed limit/current speed overlay for google maps. it's called velociraptor

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:12 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Waze because of the nice interface and speed cam data etc but I've reverted to Google Maps as Waze often doesn't seem sure of where I am or which way I'm headed

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

noobRider wrote:
I like Waze because of the nice interface and speed cam data etc but I've reverted to Google Maps as Waze often doesn't seem sure of where I am or which way I'm headed

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've found that with Waze, if I deviate from the route it just keeps trying to direct me back to the original route rather than see if it can recalculate a better one based on where I'm now heading, which is what GM does.

So sometimes I just put in the final destination so that I'll be able to find the street address when I get there, but I'm not necessarily following the route to get to the town. Then it nags me for ages trying to get me to do a U turn and go back to the previous motorway junction just because I've decided to take the A roads instead ....

If it wasn't for that, I'd use it more.

noobRider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both Waze & Google Maps open to get somewhere and Maps knew exactly where I was and had the obvious route but Waze had me a hundred yards up the road facing the wrong way and sending me on a massive detour down a motorway to get to the same place.

Waze is nice but I don't think it's ready yet,
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1