Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Odd network issue.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 22:17 - 13 Aug 2018    Post subject: Odd network issue. Reply with quote

I have a Windows server (2012 R2) which runs a number of things, it has been running for years with no issue. Recently I've been having problems with the hostname not being recognised on occasion.

All my network drives have a red cross and give me the error message "Microsoft Windows Network: The local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored."

I also cannot RDP to the server using the Hostname. However when I RDP to the Server using the internal IP, all the network drives come back online and should I disconnect the Remote Desktop I can reconnect using the Hostname fine.

It's like it needs to be reminded that 192.168.0.10 = Server.

Any ideas?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:11 - 13 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could push a hosts file to all machines so it looks locally for name resolution before anything else. A quick batch would resolve that if its many machines.

I'd be looking at DNS personally, but hosts will fix it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:43 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added the link into the Hosts file.

DNS is done by the router (Superhub3)

There is no domain set up it's just a home server running FTP/DLNA/ net drives etc.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:36 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if there is no core DNS to keep those records, then hosts. I always hard code the bits I want on a non-server based environment. Unless you intend to add DNS server roles and start using it like a work based network, just keep hosts going strong Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red

PostPosted: 17:24 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Yeah, if there is no core DNS to keep those records, then hosts. I always hard code the bits I want on a non-server based environment. Unless you intend to add DNS server roles and start using it like a work based network, just keep hosts going strong Thumbs Up

The thing I do not get is why it has been fine for ~5 years.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:52 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you get the superturd3? I've had to make major changes to a work network that uses it because it's pants at upnp and has terrible routing config. It's not modem only and going through a custom box Laughing that's the latest box however. Unsure if that's the 3.

Never had DNS issues, it should be aware of DNS of devices, can you ping it's IP with -a and resolve its name OK on a device that doesn't have a modded host. That said, its primary function is to route, badly and attempt to NAT many devices out. I trust the last part, but any other service seems sketchy on it.

Unsure on a home level, but i use bind at home to modify DNS. Probably more work than you need though Laughing

chris-red

PostPosted: 20:49 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5 years, it's actually pretty good, i.e. has given me no problems, and the WiFi coverage is excellent.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 07:35 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For home, hosts isn't too bad. It's a quick fix.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
The thing I do not get is why it has been fine for ~5 years.

Well this could be down to updates changing an odd power setting.

Assuming the server has WOL it 'could' be that is is going to sleep or even that the NIC is going to sleep which would explain the missing network drives and failure to respond to the host name but answering to RDP on the ip address.

Check everything is set to always on.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1