Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fake Arai alert

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Fake Arai alert Reply with quote

Not back through choice, but members need to be made aware

Some of you may not be aware that Ebay have been advertising fake Arai helmets.

I have spoken to Terry Birtles the MD at Moto-Direct who are the UK importers of Arai who said

“We’ve reported to eBay and contacted the sellers but they are based in Asia and seemingly don’t give a monkey’s!”

It’s obviously way too cheap… Arai are handmade in Japan and take days to make so the real price reflects that.

The visor is wrap round – Arai have never done a wrap round visor always favouring side pods to meet their smoother rounder shape for sliding.

Box and trims are all just cheap and not consistent.

There is no ECE marking obvious.

I have said many times that a helmet should only be purchased from a dealer, but if you if you are considering or know someone who is considering buying a new Arai, then mabe point them in the direction of this post.

Terry Birtles, the MD at the Arai importers will be happy to provide further information if required.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:45 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably they are a knock off of BOX or whatever other cheapo manufacturer are out there, and then just labelled ARAI?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folk really need their heads examining if they think they are getting a genuine Arai for that sort of price, but clearly not Crying or Very sad

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:55 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
Some folk really need their heads examining if they think they are getting a genuine Arai for that sort of price, but clearly not Crying or Very sad

theyll need their heads examining when their helmet disintegrates on a slow/mid speed crash and they are a potato

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 15:03 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen plenty of these on Wish.com, they look proper shit and cost like £30 delivered Laughing

T.C
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people who are non the wiser.

They will try on for size at a shop and then order online

Some will think that they are saving a shed load of money because they are missing out the middle man

Some will think that they know better and buy because they think that the fatories are trying to make loads of money more by insisting that you should only buy from a dealer.

Some will be non the wiser of what features to expect on a genuine hat.

Just looked at the original ad and they have sold some already.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:34 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a scummy practice, but some people buy them because the name looks expensive. A helmet is a helmet, but I'd be proper worried about being shipped from Asia to my door, I do like buying them locally, not that it matters as they bounce around anyway, but then again.... ain't buying an Arai Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seeing a bunch of adverts on Instagram for cheap lids, always using genuine pictures (sometimes still with the company logo still showing) but all the reviews or comments have been removed. The latest one in my feed has Shoei GT Air lids advertised at £446.95 discounted to 63 Euros.

Yeah, I would rather pay for a genuine product.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explains why the brazilian food delivery scooter boys wear Arai, they are probably wearing fakes...

To be honest you have to be a total moron to buy a helmet from ebay.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Explains why the brazilian food delivery scooter boys wear Arai, they are probably wearing fakes...

Why is that?

I'm going to troll and guess that the fake Arai performs better than the real thing in the Sharp ratings...
Twisted Evil

Hand crafted samurai armour, forged from dragon scales over 3 days without sleep.

3/5
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/arai-chaser/

Versus 'cheap shit'

4/5
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/box-bx1/

Nice for Arai to let us know, I am certain they're concerned for our safety (designing the safest of lids possible) and not at all concerned for their profit margin or trademarks/reputation.

I did announce my trolling, what happens next is out of my hands Whistle

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 14 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Why is that?

I'm going to troll and guess that the fake Arai performs better than the real thing in the Sharp ratings...
Twisted Evil

Hand crafted samurai armour, forged from dragon scales over 3 days without sleep.

3/5
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/arai-chaser/

Versus 'cheap shit'

4/5
https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/box-bx1/

Nice for Arai to let us know, I am certain they're concerned for our safety (designing the safest of lids possible) and not at all concerned for their profit margin or trademarks/reputation.

I did announce my trolling, what happens next is out of my hands Whistle

I also noticed this, which is why I bought a £40 Box lid rather than the more expensive offerings in the store.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 03:02 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A page from whyarai.co.uk about Arai helmets and SHARP tests:

"Thank you for contacting us and giving Phoenix Distribution (NW) Ltd a chance to give a response instead of just taking on board what you have read about the Sharp test results. It offers us the opportunity to explain why you have made, or will make, the right decision choosing Arai.

During the Sharp tests, all helmets are tested on five precisely described and positioned impact points. Every Arai helmet tested, scored exceptionally well on three of these points. Only the test results on the fourth and fifth, so-called “X-point” were less satisfactory. The position of this X-point is marked on the drawing.

We have however severe doubts about the location of this particular X-point. Doubts that are shared not only by other renowned helmet manufacturers, but by many leading expert journalists as well, as you can read in several motorcycle magazines and on internet forums.

This is because through many years of R&D;, intense study of motorcycle accidents and immense racing experience, Arai are of the opinion that indicated X-points are less likely to suffer severe impacts. This point is well protected by the riders shoulder. In case of an accident, the shoulder would hit an object (ground) and therefore X-point is less likely to make contact.

To create sufficient room for the ears, Arai produces therefore a very strong outer shell, with a thinner piece of polystyrene inner shell around the ears. This construction allows the helmet to exceed all worldwide standard demands at X-point. But more importantly, it allows Arai to produce a very comfortable helmet around the ear with two important advantages:
- more comfort, the rider can concentrate on riding
- less restrictions of (traffic) sounds

Arai has deliberately chosen for these properties, without making any concessions to safety.

Please do also keep in mind that the final Sharp testing standards are still under development and in its current procedure pre-mature. The Department of Transport already announced that further testing procedures are under development.

Could Arai produce a helmet that excels in this particular testing point? Yes, absolutely. But then Arai has to make concessions that are not acceptable to Arai’s proven safety and comfort philosophy.

We are convinced that the test area as defined by Snell offers a more correct reflection under actual impact circumstances. This shows that total helmet construction philosophy and technology is more important than specific point testing.

Arai do have more objections against the test methods and impact points used, as they have the opinion that they don’t reflect real-world accidents or impacts. These are fairly technical matters and have been taken up directly with the Department of Transport."

https://web.archive.org/web/20120819035750/https://www.whyarai.co.uk/sharp.php

That page is 10 years old but I assume Arai and SHARP still aren't on speaking terms with each other. Laughing

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:04 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Presumably they are a knock off of BOX or whatever other cheapo manufacturer are out there, and then just labelled ARAI?

I'm sure _some_ are - but some are genuinely cheap shit that meet no legal criteria whatsoever. I wouldn't fancy on gambling which I'm getting.
https://youtu.be/mdWvU9RF5ew?t=15

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arai do a top rated 5 star lid so it's not like they can't meet the standards.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/arai-rx-7v/

If Arai wanted to loan one to me for independent real life testing then I wouldn't say no. I wouldn't be actively looking to get involved in an accident, so hopefuly I'd only be reviewing how uncomfortable it was around the ears, as they must have (by their own logic) sacrificed comfort for safety.

SHARP say their analysis shows it's pretty much a lottery where impacts happen on the perimeter of a helmet, the side impacts being particularly bad.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe, they earn more than you do.

Among my riders and no it isn't food delivery Arai is the most popular helmet brand.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Or maybe, just maybe, they earn more than you do.

That's possible because many do two jobs....same day and food delivery.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 15 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
A page from whyarai.co.uk about Arai helmets and SHARP tests:

"Thank you for contacting us and giving Phoenix Distribution (NW) Ltd a chance to give a response instead of just taking on board what you have read about the Sharp test results. It offers us the opportunity to explain why you have made, or will make, the right decision choosing Arai.

During the Sharp tests, all helmets are tested on five precisely described and positioned impact points. Every Arai helmet tested, scored exceptionally well on three of these points. Only the test results on the fourth and fifth, so-called “X-point” were less satisfactory. The position of this X-point is marked on the drawing.

We have however severe doubts about the location of this particular X-point. Doubts that are shared not only by other renowned helmet manufacturers, but by many leading expert journalists as well, as you can read in several motorcycle magazines and on internet forums.

This is because through many years of R&D;, intense study of motorcycle accidents and immense racing experience, Arai are of the opinion that indicated X-points are less likely to suffer severe impacts. This point is well protected by the riders shoulder. In case of an accident, the shoulder would hit an object (ground) and therefore X-point is less likely to make contact.

To create sufficient room for the ears, Arai produces therefore a very strong outer shell, with a thinner piece of polystyrene inner shell around the ears. This construction allows the helmet to exceed all worldwide standard demands at X-point. But more importantly, it allows Arai to produce a very comfortable helmet around the ear with two important advantages:
- more comfort, the rider can concentrate on riding
- less restrictions of (traffic) sounds

Arai has deliberately chosen for these properties, without making any concessions to safety.

Please do also keep in mind that the final Sharp testing standards are still under development and in its current procedure pre-mature. The Department of Transport already announced that further testing procedures are under development.

Could Arai produce a helmet that excels in this particular testing point? Yes, absolutely. But then Arai has to make concessions that are not acceptable to Arai’s proven safety and comfort philosophy.

We are convinced that the test area as defined by Snell offers a more correct reflection under actual impact circumstances. This shows that total helmet construction philosophy and technology is more important than specific point testing.

Arai do have more objections against the test methods and impact points used, as they have the opinion that they don’t reflect real-world accidents or impacts. These are fairly technical matters and have been taken up directly with the Department of Transport."

https://web.archive.org/web/20120819035750/https://www.whyarai.co.uk/sharp.php

That page is 10 years old but I assume Arai and SHARP still aren't on speaking terms with each other. Laughing

Which is the exact same point which scored low on my £40 Box lid. Laughing

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Arai from ebay. No problems.

Of course, I paid decent money for it and didn't expect that a sub-£50 lid would be legit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1