Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Omega
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:44 - 25 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

J4mes wrote:
You don't know any teachers do you?

I do actually. My girlfriend is a high school science teacher so I get to hear plenty of complaints from her group of friends/colleagues. I'm not a teacher though so I could be completely wrong.

Most of the issues could be fixed by not being a delicate flower who has always been top of the class and excited by education. A bit of experience in a real working environment would toughen them up a bit. Just my opinion but for £30k a year you could do much worse.

Might not suit OP anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 18:57 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, will look in to the IT contracting.

Teaching isn't for me as mentioned, thanks for the advice though. Any more is welcome.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:00 - 26 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi aka Reuben wrote:
Thanks for the advice, will look in to the IT contracting.

Have a look at Blue Prism. It's one of those things, that require no prior experience and if you get good at it, you might earn quite a lot of money, traveling the world while doing so.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:57 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

how old are you out of curiosity?

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 09:11 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just turned 33.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 28 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to start in the IT, it's about time for you.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:27 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engineering, Project Engineering.

No one gives a fuck about maths and physics when money is involved.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 12:55 - 29 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

I'd love to go in to engineering (particularly mechanical or automotive related) but not having BEng or MEng on my degree means my CV wont even get past the recruiters/HR department. As much as this route appeals it's not realistic without going back to uni. I have tried this and continue to do so occasionally but not successfully so far at least.

Mechanical engineering would be the ideal though so any suggestions on how to get into this would be appreciated. Currently looking in to buying a desktop and teaching myself AutoCAD/Solidworks.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
IT contracting.

Depends what you do really. I know a few IT contractors (IT PM, so non-techy) and one test manager. They are both finding it harder to find work. Both currently working in financial services and have had their contracts extended, however their renewal periods are getting shorter and almost feel trapped by their current employer as there is greater competition and fewer opportunities.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:34 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

I'd love to go in to engineering (particularly mechanical or automotive related) but not having BEng or MEng on my degree means my CV wont even get past the recruiters/HR department. As much as this route appeals it's not realistic without going back to uni. I have tried this and continue to do so occasionally but not successfully so far at least.

Mechanical engineering would be the ideal though so any suggestions on how to get into this would be appreciated. Currently looking in to buying a desktop and teaching myself AutoCAD/Solidworks.

i started an engineering apprenticeship at 25. now im 30 and on a decent chunk AND getting a degree paid for. its never too late.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 02 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to a pub owner today who was moaning that he cannot find a full-time cocktail-savvy barman. Said he would pay basic minimum wage at first then £14.00 per hour once trained up and earning him money. By my reckoning an 8 hour shift, 5 days per week for 48 weeks equals £26,880 pa before deductions.

Bar work could be worth looking at before you find your feet....

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 17:07 - 12 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for all the input.

Have been looking at various options, including still into the ones suggested.

Two alternative options that have arisen are undertaking an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering or becoming a train driver. Apprenticeship would mean working on low wage for a year before going to minimum until training is over. Still unsure what level I would be able to go in at/be able to go in at although have a meeting for next week to discuss at a local college.

Also have put in an application to become a trainee train driver. Been successful so far with on-line tests and invited for an interview/further assessment.

I guess the choice will be between a high paying job which is shift work but with good benefits. Or between a low paying job in something that may be more engaging and I may be more interested in but lower pay certainly at first and most likely always.

Any input on what others would go for and their views on the situation would be welcome?

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:53 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Talking to a pub owner today who was moaning that he cannot find a full-time cocktail-savvy barman. Said he would pay basic minimum wage at first then £14.00 per hour once trained up and earning him money. By my reckoning an 8 hour shift, 5 days per week for 48 weeks equals £26,880 pa before deductions.

Bar work could be worth looking at before you find your feet....

Mind sharing the name/location of the pub? I'm in the market for bar work. (can't do anything else) Rolling Eyes

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've been doing the whole "job satisfaction over salary" thing for the last Thinking 6 years I think. Before that I just earned bad money because I had a shit job and no qualifications Laughing

I guess it depends on your outlook, but now that I have the skills and experience to earn a bunch more that I am currently, it's harder and harder to accept/justify the lower salary. Job satisfaction doesn't pay the bills nor fund the materialistic bits and pieces I can't help but want. I'm toying with a change of career path building upon my current experience but in a very different sector.

Probably not written that very well but what I'm trying to say is that talking from experience, if the option is enjoying the job Vs loadsa money, I'd take the cash every time.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 16:21 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Probably not written that very well but what I'm trying to say is that talking from experience, if the option is enjoying the job Vs loadsa money, I'd take the cash every time.

Essentially what I was asking yes, and answer understood. Thumbs Up

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engineering, try offshore. Small initial outlay for the courses required. The fact you have a degree, any degree, and the fact you have mechanics in your degree title will give you a good chance of interview with many departments in Engineering companies. Try pipeline pre-commissioning companies or subsea construction companies for best chance of starting as an operator. Best pay too in a few years when you learn your trade. Good luck.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:45 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
For what it's worth, I've been doing the whole "job satisfaction over salary" thing for the last Thinking 6 years I think. Before that I just earned bad money because I had a shit job and no qualifications Laughing

I guess it depends on your outlook, but now that I have the skills and experience to earn a bunch more that I am currently, it's harder and harder to accept/justify the lower salary. Job satisfaction doesn't pay the bills nor fund the materialistic bits and pieces I can't help but want. I'm toying with a change of career path building upon my current experience but in a very different sector.

Yeah, I was in the same boat for a long time. I worked at a university for 13 years, and while I enjoyed the kind of stuff I got to fuck about with, it wasn't going anywhere. The main difference was that the money wasn't bad by any measure, but I was at the top of my payscale with no progression in sight. I've since taken a short-term minor hit on the wages, but there are raises in my future, and I can largely determine my own path in my new place. After being in the public sector for over a decade, the private sector (specifically, the private sector outside London) is remarkably invigorating.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:26 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:

Sorry I missed your post earlier. Your goal should get at least a basic qualification in any engineering subject that takes your fancy. When you have this qualification you need to write a CV. Your CV, no matter what you've done before, should be inclined to why you wanted to study engineering.

You should then do some research, not about who HR are but who is running any given project (Everything is a project these days); Project Engineer, Structural engineer, even for the probably useless project manager. Get to them any way you can and force a discussion with them in person. Tell them you are doing a study or something on the project engineering aspects of a construction project and are looking for information on how to build a career in the chosen field.
Then you need to send your CV to every engineering company you can find. I said before my advice would be to try and get into oil and gas where there are so many opportunities for the eager, adventurous and it's reasonably well paid.

I have been an employer of engineers. If a young man came to me with a basic engineering qualification and so much desire that you couldn't ignore him then I would try and find him a position with one of our contractors (hehe).

Just to stress HR is the last place to send your CV.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 11:36 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Struan.

I have been trying to do this but it is becoming increasingly difficult with new GDPR rules.

I have enquired in to getting on to apprenticeships and am looking to get a job as an unskilled memeber of staff within a large engineering firm to build up my CV and look further in to future options with studying for an apprenticeship within engineering.

Essentially my options now are in no particular order:

1) Retrain as a physiotherapist, 2 years MSc (£20k fees!)
2) Try and get a job as an unskilled labourer in engineering then get
onto an apprenticeship
3) Try and find worked related to my skill set still or drop down into
something else.
4) Have an application for a trainee train driver going through and see what happens with that!

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:27 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Struan.

I have been trying to do this but it is becoming increasingly difficult with new GDPR rules.

I have enquired in to getting on to apprenticeships and am looking to get a job as an unskilled memeber of staff within a large engineering firm to build up my CV and look further in to future options with studying for an apprenticeship within engineering.

Essentially my options now are in no particular order:

1) Retrain as a physiotherapist, 2 years MSc (£20k fees!)
2) Try and get a job as an unskilled labourer in engineering then get
onto an apprenticeship
3) Try and find worked related to my skill set still or drop down into
something else.
4) Have an application for a trainee train driver going through and see what happens with that!

train driver is a good shout, I know some guys in London making mucho monies, more than the professors at my uni where i work, have considered this myself as a move away from science.

any good at art? decent tatooists make £100+ph cash

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for a train driver job years ago, passed the engineering tests, passed the eyesight test, passed the concentration tests, was given a start date at interview, walked out by one of the interviewers and congratulated on my new career and told he would be there during training to help make sure I passed only to get a refusal letter the next morning.
The industry can be very odd at times so be prepared for any upset.

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top

PostPosted: 21:53 - 29 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
I went for a train driver job years ago, passed the engineering tests, passed the eyesight test, passed the concentration tests, was given a start date at interview, walked out by one of the interviewers and congratulated on my new career and told he would be there during training to help make sure I passed only to get a refusal letter the next morning.
The industry can be very odd at times so be prepared for any upset.

Have an assessment/interview Friday at St Mary Axe. Definitely not getting my hopes up too much and have a long way to go even if I was successful.

bigdom86 wrote:
any good at art? decent tatooists make £100+ph cash

Very competitive, beyond my art levels although I do still draw as a hobby, and they also do years of essentially unpaid apprentice work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2