Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Became a Scooterist today

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:02 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Became a Scooterist today Reply with quote

Thought that I would try a scooter. I've always had this idea that a scoot might actually be better for touring but I'd never been on one before. So, saw a new model PCX with 19 miles at a reasonable price and bought it. Jumped on and rode 110 miles home in questionable weather.

It's ok. I don't like the seat but for a tiny bike it rides along just the thing. Makes me think that a larger scoot might actually be a good idea although they are expensive. The PCX definitely isn't what I'd call a tourer but I did go back out on it tonight for some laughs.

It doesn't feel like a motorcycle, more like an electric two wheeled machine, and the fun comes from the pure daftness of it all rather than the appreciation of, say, a nice v twin engine. I can definitely see the appeal even although the PCX is a bit small. I think that a re-modelled saddle will enhance the riding experience as I really need to sit further back to get comfortable.

But for sheer convenience, they are very good and surprisingly quick (12hp is enough for A roads). It has abs on the front but drum on the rear, which is actually the better of the two brakes.

The weather protection is rather good and I quite fancy an extended ride once I sort out the saddle.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, mister! You need help!

Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than a 2t mad thing for the laughs (a Gilera runner 172 has appealed to my inner chav since I was a teen) I don't think I could stoop to a scooter. I don't judge those who do, but, they just seem a bit boring. Like driving an automatic car.

If I HAD to ride a scooter I think it's be the Honda Integra thingmy. It seems the best halfway house.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I love the simplicity of the our X-enter too. It's such a great city hopper. I had to go to the dental hospital
in Bristol recently during the lunchtime rush. In a car it takes about 50 mins including getting parked at the multi storey.
I did the trip in 20 last time and parked right opposite the hospital in a bike bay for free which beats the £3-5 I pay to
park in the Galleries in town. I want to get a top box for it as the wife has thankfully sacked the whole idea of riding now,
she's far from a natural and has finally admitted that the idea of using it to commute for half the year fills her with dread.
Once I've finished coaching youngest brother in law on it round the cones and stuff for some pre CBT familiarisation the L
plates will be coming off and a nice loud stainless exhaust will be going on it. My only gripe is that it's too quiet.
Repeatedly having to dodge pedestrians who wander into my path is becoming tedious, oddly the Spacker doesn't
have that problem as it can be heard half a mile away. Mr. Green

EDIT - Found a nice pic of my model of scoot.

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/moto_gallery/YAMAHAXenter125MotoGP-4461_2.jpg

Last edited by grr666 on 23:35 - 16 Aug 2018; edited 1 time in total

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:19 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really convinced that I did the right thing but it was an itch etc etc

Just because it's nothing like a motorcycle doesn't mean that it should be ignored. I'll know more in a month or two but hope that it grows on me.

And, even although I'm officially ancient, I have this bizarre desire to be as daft as possible Very Happy

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have bought one just for my use, but given that at the time of purchase Mrs grr wanted to learn to ride a bike
it was a relatively cheap bit of fun. (£700 quid 13plate FYSH but a bit tatty as it had already been over a few times.)
The awful 15quid linglong tyres were probably to blame for that, after my first fishtail at 15mph rolling into Fowlers car
park, I immediately went home and ordered a pair of Michelin City Grip which are centrestand grindingly good. Thumbs Up
I've had a displayed 70 out of it two up, it's quite a nippy little thing all things considered, full size wheels make it feel
a bit more grown up and stable than some scoots I've tried.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Other than a 2t mad thing for the laughs (a Gilera runner 172 has appealed to my inner chav since I was a teen) I don't think I could stoop to a scooter. I don't judge those who do, but, they just seem a bit boring. Like driving an automatic car.

If I HAD to ride a scooter I think it's be the Honda Integra thingmy. It seems the best halfway house.

Interesting!

I've had a tuned 2stroke twist&go and unless it was just a de-restricted 50cc to zip around a busy city or a Mediterranean holiday resort, then I'd not have another.

I can only imagine the handling and stability to be fucking awful on a tuned 172 Gilera etc.

As for automatic cars all being boring, I take it you don't mean that about all cars irrespective? Some cars suck massively as an automatic, but equally so some are total horse shit with a manual transmission. You would be a lunatic to want to drive a large Merc saloon or an Audi A8 with a manual box. Even some sports cars and hot hatches are better or faster with an automatic or automated shifting box.

And that Honda Integra 750 thing would be the last bike I'd ever want to ride, and the fact that it's the biggest engined bike like CVT automatic even more so!

Scooters are best small and light and efficient. You don't need to have to show your a bloke with big balls to ride one or have your gender threatened, so trying to say I only want to ride the V8 of the scooter world or I'll walk is really missing the point IMO.

I like the PCX as a daily ride to work in a city or town, I doubt there's anything better in an all urban environment. Its quiet very efficient and has brilliant fuel consumption.

I don't need a commuter though, and having had my share of small twist&go's over the years, I'd want to buy, restore and tune an old classic small frame Vespa in the future as a project probably when I'm in my mid 50's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:46 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I talk entirely as somebody who has never actually owned a scooter nor an automatic car. I should have put that in my first post! I'd be quite happy to have my preconceptions proven wrong, chances are I'll own an auto car sooner or later.

:Think: maybe "stoop" was a bit harsh. Couldn't see me choosing one at the moment is more fair.

The 172 runner was always hyped up as the quickest scooter when I was a teen pottering around on a restricted ts50x. Granted that's over a decade ago now but the impression has always stuck with me. If nothing else they're a bit of a sleeper, handling may well be cack, but I'm sure nobody rides a chavved up scooter to ride the b500 or cat and fiddle, it's for surprising the hot hatches away from traffic lights and that's about it!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Became a Scooterist today Reply with quote

Oldie wrote:
Thought that I would try a scooter. I've always had this idea that a scoot might actually be better for touring but I'd never been on one before. So, saw a new model PCX with 19 miles at a reasonable price and bought it. Jumped on and rode 110 miles home in questionable weather.

It's ok.
The weather protection is rather good and I quite fancy an extended ride once I sort out the saddle.

I took the plunge back in April

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=324038

Still loving it and still struggling to think of a reason to go back to a 'proper' bike.

Mine does give me real touring capability - massive under seat luggage capacity (augmented by the top box) enough power to maintain motorway + speeds regardless of gradient and it's physically as long as my XJ900, so it's roomy enough to offer different riding/seat positions.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the low CofG and relatively wide tyres mean you can bend swing pretty good and it doesn't weave around like a lunatic, even at 3 figure speeds.

As I've got used to it, I've been starting to think I could handle a little more acceleration and it's due a belt change soon, so while I'm in there, I might have a play with some different rollers, but that's the only real minus point I've come up with, in the 3000 miles I've done on it.

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:14 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a bike in Honda showroom that looks like a scooter...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:34 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I have to say I love the simplicity of the our X-enter too. It's such a great city hopper.
[...]
Repeatedly having to dodge pedestrians who wander into my path is becoming tedious, oddly the Spacker doesn't have that problem as it can be heard half a mile away.

What do you actually see as the benefit of the scooter then, compared with a Proper Bike (unless it's one which is really unhappy or awkward at urban speeds? Genuine question, BTW.
I don't really get the 'simplicity' aspect: for me, you lose that (compared with a car) by having to wear a lid and all the rest of the gear etc; and that's the same regardless of what type of PTW you're riding.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

What do you actually see as the benefit of the scooter then, compared with a Proper Bike (unless it's one which is really unhappy or awkward at urban speeds? Genuine question, BTW.
I don't really get the 'simplicity' aspect: for me, you lose that (compared with a car) by having to wear a lid and all the rest of the gear etc; and that's the same regardless of what type of PTW you're riding.

Easy really,

primarily more convenient storage than anything short of a grand tourer. After years of messing around with panniers, particularly shite soft sportsbike, luggage the huge underseat storage on a 125-up scooty is very convenient.

On a big maxi scoot the wind protection is almost as good as a huge grand tourer bike and probably the best for your legs of any two wheeler. On shorter trips you dont need to wear heavy gear in winter as there is less cold wind to shield you from.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

and you lot all laughed at me to start with Laughing

been saying scoots are great for years

now you are all just hipsters jumping on it now its classed as cool Shocked Cool Very Happy

tittymcarsefa...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:29 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer old school pedal and pop mopeds and a piss pot helmet. Laughing

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:55 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a PCX to teach myself how to filter in London it did the job perfectly.
I was quite surprised by how good it was at pulling my 16st around.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really fancy one but can't quite bring myself to part with the cash Vs something else geared that I fancy. Rented a couple in holiday and always found them surprisingly capable, even two up.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:14 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:

On a big maxi scoot the wind protection is almost as good as a huge grand tourer bike and probably the best for your legs of any two wheeler. On shorter trips you dont need to wear heavy gear in winter as there is less cold wind to shield you from.

After riding a scooter to work every day for the past 3yrs, this morning i went on my Serow (scooter was dead) I couldnt believe how much colder my legs felt not having the legshields. Just a short couple of mile trip wearing my work pants, tomorrow i'll be wearing something over them.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

What do you actually see as the benefit of the scooter then, compared with a Proper Bike (Genuine question, BTW.

I like a few things about the scoot. Literally the whole point and squirt nature of a twist and go in general. Lightweight with a
low centre of gravity makes ducking and diving in traffic really easy. I typically wear less kit on a scoot too, happy with just
regular jeans and a lightweight armoured jacket. Unlike my main bike it's a long way off of being a garage queen so I'm not
that bothered where I leave it or indeed whether it's still there when I return given it cost about 1/10 of what my big bike did.
Compared to the hairy chested Spacker, it almost rides itself and most certainly does not need the firm hand the MT09 can
demand occasionally. I could almost fall asleep on the thing.

Plus, on my fast and noisy triple, my low maturity level encourages riding that might be considered unsafe or anti
social. Embarassed I don't get the same urge to ride that way on a scoot although I'll admit I'm flat out on it all the time as it feels
soooooooooo slow compared to it's stablemate.

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned every model of Piaggio master engined maxi scoot (fuel injected 460cc). Initially for commuting purposes but also when finances have been tight & couldn't afford a car. They are quite fast, the fastest one being the Piaggio X9 that one would top out at 114mph & would pull 0-60mph in a little over 5 seconds. Ok nowhere near as exciting as a big bike but still a lot of fun. With a pair of city grips they really do handle, have the best weather protection of any bike I've owned cheap/easy to service/maintain/clean & are extremely comfortable & reliable. People need to drop their prejudices because in this day & age they make a lot of sense.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I really fancy one but can't quite bring myself to part with the cash Vs something else geared that I fancy. Rented a couple in holiday and always found them surprisingly capable, even two up.

I know what you mean. I could actually find a good use for a small light 125-200cc scooter and owning one would make some sense for me too.

But I can't bring myself to buy a new one, and like you say there's always the feeling that if I'm going to spend a couple of grand+ I could get another bike instead to tick off my list.

I ain't got no sense, but there is a couple of £6K 125's that I'd really like to own, but they'd be daft stupid toys that would be useless as serious regular road transport. I still would though and that's my problem!

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:59 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I don't think I could stoop to a scooter. I don't judge those who do, but, they just seem a bit boring.

It depends on the location. Sliding peds around twisty mountain roads with large drop offs is actually hilariously good fun. But there is very few locations in the UK actually like that.

For the UK, I'd agree, they are just too boring.

Bit like cruisers, dull and horrible in the UK, but I'd imagine that America / Canada / Australia, would be perfect.

Right place, right bike etc

However, if OP is happy, getting good storage, mpg, ease of parking etc whatever benefits. Then fair play.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
c_dug wrote:
I don't think I could stoop to a scooter. I don't judge those who do, but, they just seem a bit boring.

It depends on the location. Sliding peds around twisty mountain roads with large drop offs is actually hilariously good fun. But there is very few locations in the UK actually like that.

For the UK, I'd agree, they are just too boring.

Are they?

My SilverWing will get well into 3 figure speeds, handle twisties with more than enough aplomb and win the traffic light GP, when I need it to.

When I want to go, in any situation, I don't need to think about clutches, or gearboxes, I just rip open the throttle and eff off into the sunset.

And, as others have mentioned, I've got enough storage for a week's worth of shopping and pretty well the best weather protection this side of a Gold Wing.

I see it as fun and practical, like having your cake and eating it, not boring at all.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never get 50bhp maxi scooters and never will. The scooter was invented with a 4.5bhp engine and it's at its purest and best in small sizes and modest power levels, coupled with small 10/12" wheels and a low curb weight.

Ive never ridden a scooter bigger than a 300cc maxi, and I didn't like that, as it was big wide and heavy. I just like small light and nimble/fun.

I'd fucking hate a Honda NC750 I'm sure of it, and I can't for the life of me see what a 50bhp maxi scooter can do that an FJR or Pan Euro can't do as well or better?

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:50 - 01 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

My SilverWing will get well into 3 figure speeds, handle twisties with more than enough aplomb and win the traffic light GP, when I need it to.

3 figure speed.....thats more than 12bhp then.

Googled Silverwing.

Ahh, fair enough, I might like a 50bhp 600c scoot in the UK. I'd incorrectly assumed we were talking about 125cc

BenR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:11 - 02 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'll never get 50bhp maxi scooters and never will. The scooter was invented with a 4.5bhp engine and it's at its purest and best in small sizes and modest power levels, coupled with small 10/12" wheels and a low curb weight.

Ive never ridden a scooter bigger than a 300cc maxi, and I didn't like that, as it was big wide and heavy. I just like small light and nimble/fun.

I'd fucking hate a Honda NC750 I'm sure of it, and I can't for the life of me see what a 50bhp maxi scooter can do that an FJR or Pan Euro can't do as well or better?

Filter properly for one. 14" wheels are more maneuvorable than 17" . Not sure what maxi scooters you've ridden but I don't believe any of them weigh anything like what an fjr or a pan euro does not to mention they don't cost anything like either affore mentioned bike. Better fuel economy I could get 235miles out of a single tank on the nexus (14ltr) & as already stated very comfy used to do 183miles in one hit regularly on the nexus.

Last edited by BenR on 00:16 - 02 Oct 2018; edited 2 times in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2