Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike or scooter for courier delivery job?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

londnbikR
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:05 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Motorbike or scooter for courier delivery job? Reply with quote

Hi guys

I may be changing jobs soon and working as a courier driver. I would be working around the london area. not so much central london, more the outskirts of it. I am 30, no bike experience at all. Im planning to take my cbt test in the next few weeks and looking get on the roads straightaway using a 125cc with learner plates.

Im now trying to decide what bike I should get for myself. I have wanted to get a bike for a while now and with this new job coming up it seemed perfect timing to finally get one.

I had planned on getting something like a used honda cbr/cbf or yahama ybr/yzf. A pretty standard decent learner bike. However, after doing a bit of research and just generally looking around at other couriers, it seems they all pretty much drive scooters. There has to be a reason for this. And Im guessing a lot of it has to do with comfortability, having to drive around for 8 plus hours every day.

This kind of bummed me out because I would really like to get myself a proper bike not a scooter. But if this is not practical, obviously ill have to change my plan. What do you guys think? What would be the best option for me? Are scooters a much more superior option for a courier job? in terms of comfort and other issues like mobility around town?

Ive also looked at the ergonomics between the cbf/ybr and the sportier cbr/yzf

It seems the uptight seating position for the cbf/ybr's are comparable to a scooter. With the cbr/yzf's having a sportier look leaning forward.

The latter is the kind of bike I had wanted to get originally. It just looks and seems more fun. But would driving around in this forward position for 8 plus hours a day be practical or end up leaving my back in agony?

How much of a difference do these seating positions make?

Thank you so much guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

ps I did also post this in the general chat section...i wasnt sure the best place to put it!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's either ride to work and a scooter, or work to ride and a nice bike.

Personally I'd prefer to courier in a big city on a scooter than a bike irrespective of cc. I've never been a courier though so I can't say from experience.

But if you need a scooter to do a job and earn you money then get one. I would never regard riding to and from work to be fun after an early start or a long exhausting day. A Yamaha Majesty, a Honda Gold wing, or a BMW HP4 couldn't change that.

Don't get butt hurt if your one sole justifiable reason to want to buy and ride a bike really means you have to get a scooter.

If I was hell bent on riding a nice bike, be it a pinnacle 125 or a pinnacle superbike I'd just buy one as well, as a 2nd non necessary vehicle for shits and giggles.

But then again I'm not one of those people that to spend ££££'s on a vehicle, needs to have to use it all the time to justify owning it. In fact the more expensive and nicer something is the less I'll be likely to use it. But then putting 1000's of miles a year on your vehicles in all weather and seasons is far from the only way to enjoy owning them IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:16 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

See replies in your other thread with exact same title on 'general'
+Motorbike or scooter for courier delivery job?

Fact that you even think this is a question worth asking 'sort' of suggests how little you know to be able to make this idea work for you.

As usual Learner-Wanna-Be advice; what bike is the LAST thing on the list of things you need worry about; Learning to ride one, IS slightly more important!

Wanting to be a courier, and not even having taken a CBT to be able to ride ANY bike, is a BIT like saying you have seen a Job advert for a Mercenary Soldier.... which should you buy, an air rifle or a paint gun!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

londnbikR
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:24 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers guys
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1