BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wrap

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Wrap Reply with quote

Judith wants her bike wrapped. It was stolen and recovered at Xmas and is almost ready for an MOT after putting it all back together. There is faring damage that I have bodged back together, not the best of jobs but done so that it can be wrapped.

Problem is that I have never done wrap before. I'm not looking at expert level and I know she will drop the bike from time to time so a perfect finish isn't the first priority, but I want to do my best and have it looking ok at a glance.

Any tips from those who have done wrapping themselves, what sort of results have you had, good or bad?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:36 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about wrap, but I tried tinting my windows and I d rather push 4cobras down the toilet than do that again

watto1
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:45 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3BdJ7WqbQU

Have look here should help

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:12 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heatgun is too hot but a hairdryer will soften the vinyl enough to pull it around an odd shape. 3M Di Noc vinyl is
my personal favorite application wise as it stretches very well and can be pulled off and re-positioned a few times
before the piece is ruined. It's very durable too. The 3D Carbon finish stuff comes in a range of colours. Whatever you
use, cut the vinyl about 2" bigger than the shape you want so you've a disposable bit to pull on. Make sure what
you stick it to has been thoroughly cleaned and degreased with isopropyl alcohol or similar. As you apply the vinyl, try
and trim off the backing paper as you go sticking the stuff, stops little bits of detritus getting stuck to the adhesive
side and cause lumps under the vinyl, and it keeps it out of your way.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:09 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Wrap Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Any tips from those who have done wrapping themselves, what sort of results have you had, good or bad?

I haven't wrapped things, but I saw this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rieju-Rs3-125-Left-Hand-Side-Main-Panel-Fairing/272870297918?hash=item3f8856513e:g:Ls8AAOSwQNRZyQyY

which looks quite horrid; also saw this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RIEJU-RS3-50-125-PANEL-FAIRING-RIGHT-OSR-PLASTICS-COWLING-BODY-WORK-ENGINE-COVER/253771016899?hash=item3b15ee6ac3:g:iXkAAOSwpLNX-9yG

which looks very much like one my son's just restored to look new (well - from about 3'/0.91 metres away).

Yes, I gave him advice, fineliner tape, car bumper filler, spray tins and wet'n'dry, but I was very surprised how good it looked. I'd add a picture, but my 'phone's on the blink. Poxy thing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:22 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. It's not easy. The more bendy the part, the harder it is to wrap.

Do not buy cheap wrap, 3M or go home. Buy some cheap stuff to practice with first.

If you are considering wrap, also consider painting it with peel coat/plastidip.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what a 16-year-old with filler, fineliner tape, wet'n'dry and some paint can do (1st. try! Smile ):

Last edited by Riejufixing on 14:21 - 19 Aug 2018; edited 2 times in total

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to tie your hair back. It doesnt matter how clean you get the surface theres always one stray hair that gets caught up. Grrrrrrr
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1