Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VFR800 Smooth out throttle response

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: VFR800 Smooth out throttle response Reply with quote

Only owned my VFR for a couple of days now but can already tell the throttle response could be improved, like so many other VFR vtec owners have said on forums and articles.

Especially at low RPM the bike is sometimes is very "switchy" ON/OFF.

Having a look on the interwebs an article came up explaining what you can do to improve it:

https://johnny.chadda.se/pair-and-flapper-mod-with-bonus-snorkel-mod-for-vfr/

Didn't really want to start playing with it this soon into ownership but have a feeling these need to be done.

Has anyone on BCF done this modifications and are they all safe to do?

Ta

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is the bike and does it have a warranty?
Does the engine cough (slight misfire) or spit back or hesitate at a certain constant rev range?
I considered similar mods but cleaning the injectors and fuel pipe/rail cured it. Also it never had a oxygen sensor in the exhaust.
Years ago i had a KLV 1000 with incorrect fuelling and a power commander sorted it.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did all but the pair valve, sounded a bit nicer but in reality very little effect on the ride smoothness. Maybe the pair valve was the key to success!

Mine was a 2007 bike which had some of the lurchiness ironed out from the factory.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power Commander, sorts the lurch right out of it.

The fuelling on the first series of VTEC was a bit awful.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:47 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the mechanical side, throttle free play, cables, throttle grip not slipping on the tube, throttle grip not sticking on the bar end or bars?

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:00 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help, seem to have sorted it.

For anyone else who has this problem and visits this post in the future what has sorted it out for me is doing the pair valve mod - simply disconnecting the connector to the pair valve.

After doing that I took it on a test ride purposefully getting into traffic and testing slow speed, it was a hell of a lot better than it was yesterday - no more lurching ON/OFF throttle feeling at low RPM.

Preferred it so much more that when I got home I put plenty of electrical tape over both of the exposed connectors and called it a day. No FI error codes, started up straight away and from first impressions and ride - no negative effects.

Didn't really want to make changes this early into the ownership but like so many other VFR owners couldn't put up with it.

The fuelling of course now isn't perfect and could still be improved, probably the next step I would take would be to fit a power commander (as suggested by ASDrox0r) - however I can't justify the £300+ price tag.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""""""""The fuelling of course now isn't perfect and could still be improved, probably the next step I would take would be to fit a power commander (as suggested by ASDrox0r) - however I can't justify the £300+ price tag.""""""""""""""
A power commander should only be fitted after the valve clearances and the injectors / rails are cleaned.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:38 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
"""""""""The fuelling of course now isn't perfect and could still be improved, probably the next step I would take would be to fit a power commander (as suggested by ASDrox0r) - however I can't justify the £300+ price tag.""""""""""""""
A power commander should only be fitted after the valve clearances and the injectors / rails are cleaned.

Thanks will remember that for if I ever get one
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1