Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorbike or scooter for courier delivery job?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

londnbikR
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:02 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Motorbike or scooter for courier delivery job? Reply with quote

Hi guys

I may be changing jobs soon and working as a courier driver. I would be working around the london area. not so much central london, more the outskirts of it. I am 30, no bike experience at all. Im planning to take my cbt test in the next few weeks and looking get on the roads straightaway using a 125cc with learner plates.

Im now trying to decide what bike I should get for myself. I have wanted to get a bike for a while now and with this new job coming up it seemed perfect timing to finally get one.

I had planned on getting something like a used honda cbr/cbf or yahama ybr/yzf. A pretty standard decent learner bike. However, after doing a bit of research and just generally looking around at other couriers, it seems they all pretty much drive scooters. There has to be a reason for this. And Im guessing a lot of it has to do with comfortability, having to drive around for 8 plus hours every day.

This kind of bummed me out because I would really like to get myself a proper bike not a scooter. But if this is not practical, obviously ill have to change my plan. What do you guys think? What would be the best option for me? Are scooters a much more superior option for a courier job? in terms of comfort and other issues like mobility around town?

Ive also looked at the ergonomics between the cbf/ybr and the sportier cbr/yzf

It seems the uptight seating position for the cbf/ybr's are comparable to a scooter. With the cbr/yzf's having a sportier look leaning forward.

The latter is the kind of bike I had wanted to get originally. It just looks and seems more fun. But would driving around in this forward position for 8 plus hours a day be practical or end up leaving my back in agony?

How much of a difference do these seating positions make?

Thank you so much guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:16 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

YZF and CBR - probably not best choices. Theft, riding position, practicality reasons.

YBR fine. CBF watch out for rust.

Scooter more practical; point and squirt no faff, extra under seat storage etc. But that doesn't mean you can't use a YBR and just fit a decent top box.

Do your cbt, see how you feel. Worry about bike after.

Oh and check insurance carefully. Bike courier policies are expensive even at 30 when you're a noob with no NCD.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:47 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the recent BBC documentary thing about how that boy got a job couriering - got a new bike on finance - got paid pants - missed payments on bike - topped himself ?

If I was going to courier on the outskirts, scoot, probably. Hop on, under the tucano urbano invalido blanket and twist and go. But I'd buy a used scooter, not a brand new one and hope it didn't get nicked when I was delivering.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it works out for you, I really do but I think you'd probably do better working in McDonalds.

I'm no expert but everything I have heard said and read about couriering is that it's a hell of a job (hell being the operative word) for a new person.

Ask Marmalade or Sickpup. They will probably give you the best information.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:42 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

like Snoo said, buy the cheapest ped you can, learn how to maintain it (haynes manual £10). its your means of an income so look after it. anytime its off the road you're losing money.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never fails to amaze me that any company would employ a courier on "L" plates...

Still I guess there is no fool like a new one.. Laughing

Would you trust a taxi driver on "L" Plates....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
It never fails to amaze me that any company would employ a courier on "L" plates...

Cheap isn't it. If they last a while alls good. There's always someone else with rose coloured specs to take his place.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:59 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go do CBT and try learn a thing or three about bikes.
Then if you still think its a wonderful idea.... go talk to a courier in the street.... preferably when its raining, and ask if they a) make anything close to NMW for their efforts b) would do the job if they could earn as much or more stacking shelves in Tesco's, not getting wet or dodging SMIDYs.... then go ask half a dozen others the same.
Tell wannabee L-Platers time over time, in the list of things they need worry about, getting a bike is the last thing on the list. In this case, THAT is but the bottom bit of an entire business plan.
What bike? Scooter vs Plastic-Fantastic? THAT is really just SOooooo not a relevant question, the very fact you THINK it is one, just shows how much you DONT know to be able to make this even work, let alone work well enough to earn a living wage from. Its just a Non-Issue.... More, a LOT more, home work required, and if you STILL think scooter vs bike is something to be worried about after... you get an 'F' for it; go back, do the home-work again!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fuck a Tef post that fits on one screen! Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can actually be just a handful of paragraphs.
But if it starts with the operating cycle and first working principles of the two stroke/four stroke/ steam engine then you know it's unlikely to be one of those! Laughing

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:

Back in the good old days, you needed at least 3 years riding experience,
no Learner riders but those days went. Standards have dropped like a
stone.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
stone.

No you didn't, thats rubbish.

At one point there was an industry wide agreement in place with Westminster Council that no L platers would be used.

Sickpup, running courier companies on and off for 20 years Thumbs Up

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
stone.

No you didn't, thats rubbish.

At one point there was an industry wide agreement in place with Westminster Council that no L platers would be used.

Sickpup, running courier companies on and off for 20 years Thumbs Up

Not in Croydon it wasn't....

Courier265 - courier 28 years......

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

I rest my case.

I only said running for 20+ years, I was a rider before that. I also didn't have to work for a company called Pick Express unlike you although Ray was a good bloke.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

stone.

I'm surprised that they can get courier ins on a L plate..... But then again I wonder how many actually have the proper level of insurance....

Uber eats & just eat etc... wonder if the companies actually care about just how their idiots actually ride....
They make lycra clad push bike riders look safe Twisted Evil

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

I also didn't have to work for a company called Pick Express unlike you although Ray was a good bloke.

You lost me there....

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

stone.

I'm surprised that they can get courier ins on a L plate..... But then again I wonder how many actually have the proper level of insurance....

Courier companies check all the riders details down the colour of their underpants. In fact I was asked for my insurance details recently, mainly checking I still have the same insurance cover.

Mind you back in the past all you needed was a licence,

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

stone.

How good and old are we talking?

I started in 1982 on my TS50ER with about 2 months road riding experience; I did get off the Ls for a while by passing my moped test, but was back on them for a couple of months when I turned 17 and switched to an RD250E.

Gotta say the money was good back then, but living was cheap - I reckon you would need to be earning upwards of a grand a week to be at the same standard as the 80s.

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

varadero 😉

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 15:36 - 18 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

honda innova 125

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:19 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
honda innova 125

This.

Speedy23
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:07 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Motorbike or scooter for courier delivery job? Reply with quote

londnbikR wrote:
Hi guys

I may be changing jobs soon and working as a courier driver. I would be working around the london area. not so much central london, more the outskirts of it. I am 30, no bike experience at all. Im planning to take my cbt test in the next few weeks and looking get on the roads straightaway using a 125cc with learner plates.

Im now trying to decide what bike I should get for myself. I have wanted to get a bike for a while now and with this new job coming up it seemed perfect timing to finally get one.

I had planned on getting something like a used honda cbr/cbf or yahama ybr/yzf. A pretty standard decent learner bike. However, after doing a bit of research and just generally looking around at other couriers, it seems they all pretty much drive scooters. There has to be a reason for this. And Im guessing a lot of it has to do with comfortability, having to drive around for 8 plus hours every day.

This kind of bummed me out because I would really like to get myself a proper bike not a scooter. But if this is not practical, obviously ill have to change my plan. What do you guys think? What would be the best option for me? Are scooters a much more superior option for a courier job? in terms of comfort and other issues like mobility around town?

Ive also looked at the ergonomics between the cbf/ybr and the sportier cbr/yzf

It seems the uptight seating position for the cbf/ybr's are comparable to a scooter. With the cbr/yzf's having a sportier look leaning forward.

The latter is the kind of bike I had wanted to get originally. It just looks and seems more fun. But would driving around in this forward position for 8 plus hours a day be practical or end up leaving my back in agony?

How much of a difference do these seating positions make?

Thank you so much guys, I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

You will die. Soon.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooter

londnbikR
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:25 - 27 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cheers guys

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 29 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike - if it is your first one, them you most likely to drop it, scooter has lots of fairing and it may break
Having said that, bike chain will need maintenance, and it is a pain, even if you install touring Scottoiler
Don’t think space under your seat will play much role - couriers usually have huge boxes for staff
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2