Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Possibly fibreglass repair/bodge😁

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:27 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Possibly fibreglass repair/bodge😁 Reply with quote

I have just acquired a 1988 2 berth caravan which is nice and tidy inside very dirty outside and the front panel is covered in crazing
Where ever the panel curves what I believe is the gel coat has crazed
Having googled it it appears a major job to repair professional so what I’m after is ideas on how to tidy it up and seal it without spending a huge amount of money as the van only cost £250 to start with

Cheers guys

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the aim primarily to make it look better, or be weather proof?

It's possible to patch gel coat yourself, I've done it before but on something that never goes outside, not sure how well it'd cope with rain etc mind (didn't look that fab either, fibreglassing radiuses neatly is difficult!).

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Possibly fibreglass repair/bodge😁 Reply with quote

growler wrote:

Where ever the panel curves what I believe is the gel coat has crazed
Having googled it it appears a major job to repair professional so what I’m after is ideas on how to tidy it up and seal it without spending a huge amount of money as the van only cost £250 to start with

Cheers guys

Repairing gel coat cracks is very time consuming, if you're doing it properly.

A modern product you could try is carbon fibre filler - that's filler with carbon in it, not filler specifically for carbon.

It's very stable and crack resistant and I've seen it used very effectively on GRP body panels. It is also black, which might give you a paint coverage challenge, assuming you will be reinstating your original white/cream finish.

It's worth the effort, if you're intending to go to holiday parks with it; they are getting quite discerning these days and if you rock up with a van that might lower the tone of the place, you run the risk of being turned away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:23 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Is the aim primarily to make it look better, or be weather proof?

Mainly to make it look better. It is currently weather proof as none of the cracks are more than surface deep but they are all curves and radius's

I was hoping there was some thing I could paint on that would seal and cover it but if not I will have to clean as best I can and leave it
cheers
Guys

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gelcoat paint. I've used it on boats but it takes a time to prepare like anything requiring a good finish.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fibreglass-Paint-White-gloss-750ml/dp/B007SVIW3Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1534507568&sr=8-2&keywords=gelcoat+paint

growler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:30 - 17 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Gelcoat paint. I've used it on boats but it takes a time to prepare like anything requiring a good finish.

that looks like just the thing Thanks Mr Bear Very Happy

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:05 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

£250 caravan?

I genuinely wouldn't bother unless it is degrading, at which point I'd sand it down and lay up an extra layer of bias weave fibrecglass cloth over the affected area.

For what it's worth, a lot of canoe builders use dulux weather shield paint on their fibreglass sheathed plywood canoes.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1