BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Helmet camera

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hasujek
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Helmet camera Reply with quote

Hi, looking to get a GoPro for my helmet. I have no knowledge at what's best to buy and what additional accessories I need to mount it to the helmet. Therefore what is the recommended helmet camera with a budget up to £100. (Can be second hand).

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Helmet camera Reply with quote

Hasujek wrote:
looking to get a GoPro

Kinda limits your options... (Has GoPro become a generic trademark name for all cameras now?)

Check out https://www.techmoan.com/ (and on YouTube)

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly above budget but best choice currently IMO
https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/drift-ghost-x-camera/35397.htm
You might find it a bit cheaper their store was first on google.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ4000 - buy direct from the manufacturer (SJCAM), like GoPro, there are fakes.

Very clear footage, decent quality, compatible with any Go-Pro accessory I've tried apart from the new ones with a weird form factor.

Cams higher in the series give you 4K and WiFi - I doubt anyone needs these purely for a helmet cam for accident/insurance purposes.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SJ4000 is getting a bit dated, it copies the (older) gopro shape and housing requirement which is not ideal for helmets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SJ4000 is a fuckton clearer than any of the Go-Pro clones. It's also far less, even buying from the manufacturer, than a Go-Pro or Drift etc.

Depends what your budget is. I'm happy with it on my lid unless I'm deep into instaban speeds.

If you need to be aerodynamic, the drifts will suit you better. If you are commuting through town/city, the SJ4000 or the like is just fine.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drift Stealth 2 is about the best for a hundred quid. Can't fault mine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:07 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... Had my Drift Stealth 2 for 2 years now and has been a good camera.

Pros:
- Good profile for helmet mounting
- Lens rotates to suit angle of camera
- Excellent picture quality in day time conditions
- Nice chunky buttons

Cons:
- Software can be buggy so be ready to perform the odd factory reset
- Night time quality sucks a bit
- Internal battery so no backup power supply
- Internal mic is pants anything above walking speed with wind noise.

I butchered mine and built in an external mic plug so now I can plug any mic I want into it. I have a mic in my lid and also an external one for use anywhere on the bike. Works great.

Can't go wrong for £100
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Contour Roam 3.

Cant seem to find them online any more apart from eBay for £200+, definitely not worth that much.

Avoided the GoPro purely based on it's shape/awkwardness to fix to a helmet.

I'd suggest one of the Drift models, might be a bit more suitable.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is £50 down from £100.

I have not tried one, looks promising for the price.

https://www.7dayshop.com/products/evodx-ultra-hd-4k-sports-and-action-camera-kit-with-wifi-30m-waterproof-case-remote-EV-013?utm_source=maillist&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20180830

OmegaA
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there many bike cameras fitted on the bike itself? I am concerned the helmet camera will create a lot of wind noise on motorways.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:44 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this fitted on my bike https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blueskysea-Motorcycle-Recording-Waterproof-Version/dp/B07DWT911R via a relay and it works well but I don't use the GPS feature.

It's that or the more pricey Innovv K2

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OmegaA wrote:
Are there many bike cameras fitted on the bike itself? I am concerned the helmet camera will create a lot of wind noise on motorways.

do you mean concerned that it will cause you to hear wind noise, or concerned that the video will have wind noise?
Can't say I noticed much more noise inside my helmet.

Most cameras with internal mics have horrible wind noise at any sort of speed, unless tucked right in behind a fairing, when you just get too much engine noise often. Some people get cameras that are compatible with mics they plug in, with mixed results. Others make a separate sound recording, and then sync it with the video, but that's a faff

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:46 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

internal mics will always have horrible wind noise on the move. no way round that without covering the mic itself with something else.

what I've done with my trusty old drift ghost is as it has an external jack i've mounted a mic inside my helmet. Completely cuts out the wind noise but can still hear everything around me. I don't use it to talk, but I can if I wanted to.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

supZ wrote:
internal mics will always have horrible wind noise on the move. no way round that.

ride slowly Laughing

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used a Sony ASV30 for the last five years all year round and its still going strong. The picture quality is excellent and has image stabilisation which works wonders for a camera attached to the bike itself. Ive never mounted it to my helmet but it could be. For a helmet cam i used to use a chillitech bullet style camera but after ny original one conked out i never really liked the image quality of the replacement 1080p one so I don't have a camera on the helmet now.

Ive recently bought an Apeman gopro clone of Amazon for £40 and its excellent. In some ways better than the Sony as it has loop recording. Useless for mounting on a helmet though as gopro style is just a big lump to have sticking out. I your better looking for a bullet cam style or drift ghost or sony ASV type that will have much lower profile.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1