Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

what bike will be the best ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Four5
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:28 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: what bike will be the best ? Reply with quote

hello everyone!
I wanted to get your advice. What bike should I buy? I am 25 years old, 170 cm height and 65 kg weight. What bike would be the best for me? I was considering Honda CBR, NSR 125 or Yamaha TDR - what do you think? Or maybe you have other types?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a CBT done yet, and what do you want from the bike? Commuting, just fun?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:09 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

170cm? What's that in English? 5'6" and your old enough to have stopped growing?! Oh-Kay....

Well.. 'best' tends to be rather relative, and depends what you want it for, and how much you are prepared to pay....

CBT is Compulsory Basic Training.. if you live in the UK validated your learner's permit, which will let you ride a bike up to 125cc on L-Plates, until you pass tests, from 17 yrs old. Between 19 & 25 you can do tests for A2 rather than A1 for a 125 only licence; A2 qualifies you for a 45bhp middle-wright; if over 25 you can test for a full unrestricted 'A'.

And that is rather the first thing to be bothered about; having a licence that will let you ride ANY bike, rather than the actual bike.

After that... well 5'6" is rather vertically challenged... but, doesn't discount taller bikes like dirt bikes, nor compel you to get one with a low seat height like a cruiser.... in fact rather perversely oft works t'other way about; tall dirt bikes tend to have long soggy suspension that squashes a lot when you sit on them, while dedicated choppers are 'hard-tail' with no back suspension to squash at all!... a-n-d we buy a bike to ride, which begs putting feet on foot-pegs, not the floor, so the distance that's important really are the ones twixt bum and foot-rests and bum and handlebar grips.

Low to the floor cruisers, often also have the footpegs pushed a long way forwards in-front of the engine, and will stretch out even an
orangotang like me, let alone an ooompa-lumpa... which I mention because 160cm is about an inch taller than my O/H who's doing a pretty good oompa-lumpa impersonation at the moment, having spent far too long in the garden during this heat wave..... but still.... stick her on a low seat height cruiser, and she's happy a Larry, 'cos she can flat-foot both sides... slightly less happy, even on a 125 cruiserette, when her little legs only just let her reach the foot-pegs, but not use the back brake very well.. whilst high-wide bars have her leaning the 'wrong' way when she tries to go wound a corner, if she wants to keep hold of the handle-bars....

Dirt bikes? Nice tall seats, would suggest themselves to a lanky 6-footer like me... but, err... well, they still do... but rather excruciating with footpegs mounted some-where just under my arm-pit for 'ground clearance'.... and at something in the order of 200lb.... they tend to be rather a lot closer to the ground when I ride one, than when sat by the shed.

Meanwhile... much as I love my Montesa Cota trials bike.... great off-road... it's not what I would pick to tour wales.... in fact wouldn't be what I'd pick to pop to the shops, let alone go to and from work every day.... but it IS the best bike I own for getting up big slippery hills and stuff. CB750 is nice and comfy and a pretty capable all-rounder; but similarly wouldn't be much cop around a race track. CB125, its not particularly fast, its completely rubbish off-road, but, at 80-90+mpg, is a great way to work, on the cheap.

'Best' is all very relative, and incredibly subjective....

SO...

1/ what licence?
2/ what for?

Otherwise, I recommend a 1927 Bonmerland
https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/07/ee/4e/moto-museum.jpg
Because its almost completely irrelevent, and has funky tripple-seat!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
having owned them all & still own 2 of them, let me give you my Penny Coin Penny Coin worth.
cbr is tiny, even though you are...not very tall (if tefs conversion is correct, thats as far as i got btw) seriously small looking close up, especially the older versions (newer ones have more angular styling which makes it look a little bit bigger/better (if you like that sort of thing)
but nothing will ever change the fact its a seriously underpowered, slow commuter bike (dont be fooled into thinking its some sort of sports bike, its not) with many budget cycle parts but with some plastic on it to make it look "sporty"
good points? very reliable & excellent mpg.....thats it.

nsr is getting on in age but due to many being owned by older ppl some are still in good condition.
came in 12bhp learner legal flavour but can be returned to full power to get it to 21kw (but obviously this is not legal on a cbt) which makes it a much better bike capable of an indicated 100mph & still very reliable.
still not a "proper" sports bike though (like the aprilia rs or mito) as many cycle parts are budget with rwu forks etc.
plenty spares about but hard to find original undamaged plastic parts parts now & being 2t consider maintenance as cylinder, pistons etc are getting silly priced & harder to get.
obviously not so good mpg & likes oil at 14 quid a litre, often.
milage & condition is everything, as always.

tdr is completely different kind of bike. being a supermoto/enduro syled bike. harder to find especially in good condition.
weird sized wheels so tyre choice is limited.
2 distinctly different versions available (belgarda/italia or the deltabox versions) & theres some serious differences between them although can look similar to the untrained eye.
much bigger & taller (so heavier) & is therefore good for taller ppl.
same 2t maintenance principles apply.

depends what you really want out of the bike : if you want to turn a key, press a button & commute everywhere without ever picking up a spanner, get a cbr, but you will get bored very quickly.
nsr is nowhere near as sensitive as the race replica 2t's & therefore also a decent commuter but more fun being a 2t.
tdr is more a hooligan choice if you ask me Cool but excellent choice for commuting & much more fun.

thats it. consider other bikes & go sit on some. take someone with you when going to look at a used bike, the usual stuff & good luck!

cheers,
GAZ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:33 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you live but I bet that TDR will be a thief magnet if you live in any kind of sizeable town/city.

Presuming this is just a stage in your biking journey, go for a bog standard YBR/CBR/CG, put the saved money to passing your test and then get a decent bike.

However if you only want a 125 for commuting and pottering around on and money isn't an object, I would go for the best Varadero you can get your hands on.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest one. Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrSnoosnoo wrote:
The fastest one. Thumbs Up

I doubt if the terminal velocity of any bike is very different. Whistle

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

a red one

peejayess
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:24 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the shop, sit on some, take some out for a test ride. That’s the only way you’ll find what feels right for you.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:05 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass full test, then have a larger selection.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a bike version of 'back to the future'! I remberest bikes of my youth, which still are?

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:22 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop asking strangers on the internet how you should spend your own hard earned. Find out which bikes you like, go and try them, do a buy when you find it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1