Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CRF450RX Road Use

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

brickysteve
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:52 - 19 Jul 2018    Post subject: CRF450RX Road Use Reply with quote

Hi Guys
I am looking for some advice and feedback.

I have been a biker for most of my life and have been riding a GSX1000R for the last 10 years which I have owned from new 08 and looking to trade in now and return back to an Enduro.

I did MX over 20 years ago and am out of touch with trials and Enduro bikes now.

I would like to buy a brand-new 2018 CRF450RX with the road legal kit fitted to it.

I'm not interested in supermoto, just the off road bad boy converted for full road use.

My biker friends have expressed criticism about these type of bikes and said what do I want one of them for, they are highly strung, temperamental and subject to high servicing schedules, the brakes and gearing won’t be sufficient for road use and so on but I still want one and am nearing closer to buying one but looking for feedback first before I talk to the shop dealer as talking with sales men now, they will only tell me what I want to hear.

My usage of this bike will be light as a run-around locally in the Midlands and regular servicing and vales is not a problem for me.
Does anyone have any feedback on it and the conversion kit, the for’s and against, the pros and cons. Is this a good bike, restrictions and limits, would you advise against it?

I was looking at the KTM's and one in particular 500 cc/six days with a servicing schedule of 15 hours with valve checks and this put me off.

Any feedback you can give me would help me with my doubts.
Thanks

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:30 - 20 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they are right.

They are highly strung, they have service intervals measured in hours, and are going to be a handful on the road. Brakes will probably be fine, it's not 200KG you're stuffing into a corner. Gearing you can change, you probably want a slightly taller gearing, and you'll still smash pretty much most things from the lights with the taller gearing.

Doesn't mean you can't do it. I did it with a KX500 years ago. 75BHP in <100KG. It's insane fun to chuck around corners. However, that was not my only bike. It was purely for shits and giggles.

Don't buy a new one - There's plenty of lightly used ones out there from people who have had fun, and realised how much of a handful these things really are ("It's only a crosser, they're not hard to ride") to get a hustle on from A to B on a public road.

It's do-able, certainly. Just make sure you know what you're taking on.

brickysteve
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 09:04 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks or the feedback, that is good advice.

Been mulling this over for months. Have rode MX years back when younger and I feel comfortable on them so looking at used bikes now from dealers as I don't know enough to trust private sellers.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know enough to judge condition from.private sellers but you're happy to run a bike that's going to need tons of engine maintenance? Doesn't really make sense.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be looking at adventure style road bikes, but not sure which ones.
You get some of the fun and far less of the negative side (mentioned)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO by the time you've done the mods to make it useable you may as well have gone down the off-the-shelf supermoto route and got something designed for more normal road miles to boot.

Something like an SXV550 is designed for the road, but is certainly far closer to the Motorcross bike end of the scale than, say, a DRZ400.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:12 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fine as a fragile toy being used as a run around if you really want. Laughing

Thieves will be attracted to it so you'll need suitable security. Do some looking into how frequently it requires servicing before making any decisions. Laughing

brickysteve
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:40 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
IMO by the time you've done the mods to make it useable you may as well have gone down the off-the-shelf supermoto route and got something designed for more normal road miles to boot.

Something like an SXV550 is designed for the road, but is certainly far closer to the Motorcross bike end of the scale than, say, a DRZ400.

Thanks, will take a look.

brickysteve
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:42 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It's fine as a fragile toy being used as a run around if you really want. Laughing

Thieves will be attracted to it so you'll need suitable security. Do some looking into how frequently it requires servicing before making any decisions. Laughing

One of the best I believe, thanks

brickysteve
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:50 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="kgm"]You don't know enough to judge condition from.private sellers but you're happy to run a bike that's going to need tons of engine maintenance? Doesn't really make sense.[/quote]

Seen your other posts!

Sounds like you ‘NEED’ to be negative and express some criticism to others looking for help and advice – why is that? I could read your psychology like a book in seconds if I seen you in person – but you wouldn’t know I was doing it.

Did I not clearly present my lack of knowledge and out of touch position on THIS CRF450RX specific bike in my above post, hence my request for feedback on it.

Where does your feedback and engagement in this tread help me in my search and exploration of this bike purchase like others have helped?

Answer it - where? . . . . And I will respect you more!

I have no time for ‘unhappy’ unhelpful ‘TWATS’ like you! I as a Director of my own well known UK Ltd Company work with and handle loose tongued employees - people like you every day.

It is not a case of not knowing enough for me but more about NOT trusting in buying a used bike from someone I do not know especially as I am out of touch, my rule - do you trust everyone you buy from? Are you not aware of how much deception people present in the car and bike selling world? Bet I could fool you in a real life deception as I am beautifully intimate and skilled in deception.

How many skilled mechanics related to cars or bikes have been duped when buying from unsuspecting sellers especially a bike that gets hammered by its very nature. From what you say, you sound like you may be knowledgeable and experienced enough to know what to look for in buying a used bike and make a thorough, successful, clear and safe judgement in the purchase and not make a mistake or so you may like to give that impression. I DON’T nor would I pretend to!

I would prefer to buy from a reputable time served and established dealer who is to some extent accountable for what I buy and can look after it for me periodically as I have the funds to pay for either a brand new Enduro bike in full or a good used Enduro, maybe a year or two old but I’m not handing over 5K to someone I don’t know for a one or two year old used bike.

As for maintenance I already am placed at a good amateurish level of mechanics and servicing and own a RM250 in my garage for the last 10 years standing since I last used it so I know enough to get by with them back in the day but not sure about current 4 strokes. I also rebuilt the engine of my GSXR1000 as an example and made one mistake in it which I needed help with and that was a fuel pump issue.

I have been a road sports bike rider for 20 years and am currently out of touch with current Enduro bikes called CRF450RX. I have the money to buy a new one but would prefer to buy used as that seems wisest. I came here neutral (toning it down) purely to evoke the helpful folks to provide me with some feedback on this bike only.

Hope that makes some more sense to you now that you know a little bit more on my position.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:01 - 22 Jul 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're gonna use it offroad I'd suggest a visor wiper system to keep the crud off Thumbs Up

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regular official servicing of a KTM is only really relevant if you are racing the machine.

I bought my 450EXC new back in 2004 and it has only had regular oil and filter servicing together with the usual valve clearance checks.It has had one set of wheel bearings front and rear in 7,000 miles and I installed what were in my opinion better quality items which have been good since they were changed 6,000 miles ago.

I do not know anyone who owns a CRF450X but know plenty who own DRZ400s,WR450Fs and Shercos/Gas Gas/Husky models,as well as other versions of KTMs.

As many of these are sold as race bikes then they need to be maintained as such.The occasional fun enduro/H&H is the most that I have used my 450 for over the years since I bought it.All other times have been having a lot of fun green laning from Wales to Devon,Surrey to deepest Kent and many other places in between.

Great fun when I am not out on one of my other bikes Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1