Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Talk to me - Compressors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:58 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Talk to me - Compressors Reply with quote

So I have decided to I would like a air compressor setup in the shed. Initially I was thinking it would be ideal to run an impact wrench (rattle gun), but of course they have a number of great uses. It would have to run on 230v (13A) as that is what I have in the shed.

I have been looking on scumtree and Machinemart and have come to the conclusion that the following is desireable:

*Belt driven
*2 piston
*3hp motor
*As big a tank as I can afford to pay for and store
*>14cfm

Am I thinking about this in the right way? It would only be for powering one tool at a time, but I would hate to buy a setup that could only run a die grinder for a few seconds before needing to re-pressurise.

Any brands to consider? Any to avoid?

I have the idea that I could plumb in ports on both sides of the shed and put the compressor out the back in its own waterproof box (with air flow of course).

Any advice would be great!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:04 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.5hp 25 litre compressor, and it's fine for everything. The only issue that I had with it was when I was spraying the walls of my garage it had to charge up quite a bit. Unless you're spraying a car or something I think you'll be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a little 24ltr 1.5hp 8bar jobbie from Screwfix. I haven't tried to use it for anything serious, mainly blowing shit out of things and inflating stuff.
It's been a handy, if noisey thing so far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 11:12 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you intend doing with it!

Sand blasting would probably need the greatest CFM ... your >14CFM would be ideal for that.

I also have one of the Aldi specials ... used if for spray painting, sand blasting, tyre inflation etc ... for sand blasting/spray painting I had to stop/start every once in a while to let tank fill up ... but for around £80 and a 3 year guarantee I couldn't justify spending more.

So, decide what you are going to do with it, that'll then determine tank size and CFM requirements that you'll need and therefore what compressors will be suitable.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 25litre Aldi/Lidl one and it's fine for 90% of things. If I'm using a nut gun or something similar I have a larger bore hose connection off the max pressure take off (the one without the pressure regulator) which works fine. Thumbs Up

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:02 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, it depends, but:

Belt drive is VERY nice if you're using it a fair amount, its much quieter and the noise is less annoying.

For sustained use of tools etc 14CFM/3hp is the smallest you want, and the largest you can sensibly run on a domestic supply

Personally, for me, I had a 1.5bhp 25l one which was nice because it was portable (not just wheels, it was sensible enough to carry). It would do most stuff for a limited duration (performace of the rattle gun tailed off very quickly with tank pressure)

I now have a 3hp 150l one which does everything.

I see no need or use for any of the combinations inbetween personally as you lose the primary advantages

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compressors? Pffft.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:43 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Compressors? Pffft.

I know a lot about them but I wanted to leave the floor for Tef..

He's prolly still doon the boozers getting Irish Drunk just now but when he gets home he'll spell it all out for us.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:57 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painting uses a lot of air too. You might want to consider oil free if you're going to be doing a lot of painting.

My wee clark ranger runs air tools sufficiently well for the hobbyist. Runs out of puff quite quickly though.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:36 - 20 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these rm SGS, not belt drive, but twin piston, quieter than the 25litre Aldi special I had before, but it's identical except paint and logos to my mates Clarke one which was £100 more at machine mart, free next day delivery too, it has the Euro connectors but easy and cheap enough to change the ones on your tools if they have the older imperial quick connectors My mate has used his with a media blasting cabinet and it performed well.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/semi-pro-diy/sc100v-100-litre-high-flow-air-compressor

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these last year as part of a MachineMart VAT free day.It worked out nicely as the one that I had previously was smaller in storage capability but could manage a 1/2" rattle gun with a short bursts and 3/8" air ratchet with longer blasts,as well as a grit blast cabinet.Unfortunately,parts wore out and broke and the spare parts were going to be as expensive as buying a new bigger one.

With this new one I can easily use the grit blaster cabinet on one of the outlets and an air gun on the other.It is a tool that I find most useful when changing tyres Thumbs Up Very Happy Thumbs Up

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/20161106_142853_zpszbfmsfku.jpg#original

Always have a 'Plan B'

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:12 - 21 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise on the Aldi front. I think mine makes 1.5 bhp.

I've used it far more than I thought. The fact its quite portable makes it ideal for loads of jobs around the garden / garage / car.

I've invested in some better hoses and couplings, but I cant grumble about the actual machine.

Paint spraying with one is probably one of the most satisfying jobs I've ever undertaken.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate all of your replies

That SGS 100litre 3hp compressor looks like the best bang for buck, should run all of the tools I'm considering and even some that I haven't thought of yet I'm sure. I'll keep looking but will most likely pick one of these up Thumbs Up

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

What a lovely workshop you've got!

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:56 - 22 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

What a lovely workshop you've got!

In life, you have a very small window of opportunity to bring in a bit of decent toolage to the front room to admire, while she's got the x factor on .....

Admire it while it lasts. ...

Mine is currently covered in primer. .... and has a scouring pad as an air filter..... secured by a bungy. ...

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using it for? Tools are generally better to have cordless lipo. You pay a bit more for the tool and batteries.

I use mine mostly used for tires. I would much prefer the smaller 6L/9L tank portable version as you can buy a portable 25L tank cheap enough if you need more storage. The issue is the smaller ones only have a 1.5hp motor, which might be inadequate for tools. They also make vertical mounted tanks, seems a much better idea to me however they have a smaller motor.

As such, I would only buy a large compressor for grit blasting or spraying. As I dont have a air fed mask or access to proper, 2k paints, spraying is somewhat pointless. I used it once to spray a fence.

Mine is a 25l from SGS on ebay. Same as all the other chinese ones of that size. It came with very little, dirty coloured oil. Buy new oil. Its a heavy beast and I do not have anywhere sensible to store it - this means it goes in the corner, behind a tool trolley in the lathe shed. To use it I need to lift it out, round a corner.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much for the woven hessian / rubber mat?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:09 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steal your neighbours it's a doormat Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:28 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was cheap, about £75 from B&Q.

https://www.scheppach.com/product-details/Kompressor-HC25o-scheppach----230V-50Hz-1100W---24L.aspx

Wide bore hose helps with rattle guns, but as it's only 24l, it refills after a few seconds. Having only 1.5hp means it takes a couple of minutes to get from 0-8 bar.

It's been more than adequate though, must have run for 10+ motor hrs, and has painted over 100 square meters of fences, makes changing bike tyres a doddle (primary reason for purchase), and can easily be carried.

However, I'd like a 100l 3hp just so I could do sustained work without having to wait for it to get back up to working pressure.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
What are you using it for? Tools are generally better to have cordless lipo. You pay a bit more for the tool and batteries.

I use mine mostly used for tires. I would much prefer the smaller 6L/9L tank portable version as you can buy a portable 25L tank cheap enough if you need more storage. The issue is the smaller ones only have a 1.5hp motor, which might be inadequate for tools. They also make vertical mounted tanks, seems a much better idea to me however they have a smaller motor.

As such, I would only buy a large compressor for grit blasting or spraying. As I dont have a air fed mask or access to proper, 2k paints, spraying is somewhat pointless. I used it once to spray a fence.

Mine is a 25l from SGS on ebay. Same as all the other chinese ones of that size. It came with very little, dirty coloured oil. Buy new oil. Its a heavy beast and I do not have anywhere sensible to store it - this means it goes in the corner, behind a tool trolley in the lathe shed. To use it I need to lift it out, round a corner.

Currently I have no air tools, but I would like to be able to run an impact driver, die grinder, a basic air line gun for cleaning parts, running a tyre inflator, perhaps some paint/shot blast later on, same with changing my own tyres etc.

So an assortment of intended uses, I doubt it would get used more than a couple of times a week on average, but I'd like it to work well when I do so.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 23 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your use I'd buy a small compressor a battery impact wrench and a 240v die grinder.
Air powered die grinders are noisy as hell and use a lot of air, the compressor will be running all the time and you'll still have to wait. The mains powered ones are a lot more powerful and you only use the power you need, not constantly running a 2hp motor to maintain a poor-efficiency device.
Battery-powered impact wrenches are superb nowadays plus they are super-portable.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:31 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger the pig the more volume you will get to maintain pressure and flowrate. What are the max output pressures of these small compressors?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 24 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
The bigger the pig the more volume you will get to maintain pressure and flowrate. What are the max output pressures of these small compressors?

8 bar, but not for long...

Examples taken from spec page on link above...

Air flow rate at 8 bar = 40 l/min (~1.4 cfm)
At 4 bar, 65 l/min = 2.3 cfm

Intake capacity
165 l/min (5.8 cfm)

If you're trying to run a rattle gun for much more than 5 sec then you've got a bigger problem than worrying about how big your compressor is. That said I would buy bigger next time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1