BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New biker, same old question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:39 - 28 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go sit on every bike you like. Make a long list a short list. Then try them out. If a dealer doesn't let you get on one....walk away. There's enough out there who will.

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:51 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
I have commuted into London for 10+ years, I've never seen a bike jacking, nor have the other bikers at work that I'm matey with. In my memory I've only seen a blatant nicked bike once. (Big ped 2 up pillion with no helmet and hood up)

I'm not saying it ain't happening but it's not as rife as the news would have you believe.

Really?

This is like a very attractive girl telling her dad that she's OK to go out half dressed and get drunk because nobody has put his hand up her skirt yet and that none of her friends have had it happen either. It IS happening and more to the point - jacking aside, millions of pounds worth of bikes are being stolen in the UK every year and the police DO NEXT TO NOTHING ABOUT IT. It's like the vast majority of fraud - purely a paper exercise. bank robbing has virtually stopped and the criminals defraud now instead because it is easier and there is no come back unless they are VERY unlucky. We have this level of bike crime because the justice system doesn't care about it. 'You've been defrauded? 'Call Action Fraud' ( a purely bureaucratic and pointless exercise). 'Your bike has been stolen? 'Contact your insurance company. Here is your crime number'. Unless you PUNISH crime, it will grow. We don't punish or investigate bike crime. We all just pay more and more for insurance, which as has been pointed out elsewhere will not even pay out if there is the slightest technical excuse. There are known young bike thieves riding about a city I know in hoodies and masks in broad daylight, day after day. They steal bikes every week and destroy them. I know that if I drive into the areas they operate in I will see them. Somehow, the police let them be.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 210 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2