Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New to it all!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

aperiogaming
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:58 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: New to it all! Reply with quote

Hi, all!

I recently got my CBT after wanting to ride for years and I've got a '68 plate CB125F in Blazing Red scheduled for delivery soon. I'm super excited to get on the road and start riding.. counting down the days.

I plan on riding the 125 for a year or two as it's just a leisure/odd commute thing for now. I'll get confident then I've got my eye on a CB500F for the next level.

It's not my first vehicle - I've been driving for 7 years. I'm located in Surrey, if you guys wanted to know.

Thanks!

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: New to it all! Reply with quote

aperiogaming wrote:
Hi, all!

I recently got my CBT after wanting to ride for years and I've got a '68 plate CB125F in Blazing Red scheduled for delivery soon. I'm super excited to get on the road and start riding.. counting down the days.

I plan on riding the 125 for a year or two as it's just a leisure/odd commute thing for now. I'll get confident then I've got my eye on a CB500F for the next level.

It's not my first vehicle - I've been driving for 7 years. I'm located in Surrey, if you guys wanted to know.

Thanks!

I'm guessing you're older than 25, so why bother with an A2 bike after passing your test? It's not that they aren't fine bikes, but my guess is that you'll most likely get smoked by a few 600 sport bikes and wonder if your purchase was the best idea. Look at the MT07 and Street Triple while buying, you may find the little increase in capacity equates to a whole lot more fun.

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: New to it all! Reply with quote

aperiogaming wrote:
I recently got my CBT after wanting to ride for years and I've got a '68 plate CB125F in Blazing Red scheduled for delivery soon.

Very good! I did the same thing last year. Mine was the white CB125F. I loved riding it. It is low powered and doesn't have much wind protection but you can really get a feel for how best to use the gears to build up speed, how to make the best progress up a hill, etc. On a bike with more power you could just go. The CB125F makes you think about everything you do to make it work efficiently.
My advice is to try to ride it every day if you can. Take it to work, shops, friends, explore roads you don't normally travel. Enjoy it.
You will know when you want to upgrade to a full licence. I rode mine for about 6 months then I got tired of not being able to overtake properly.
It shouldn't be a problem if you ride it for 4 months or 4 years. The resale value is still good.
Oh yeah - learn to look after the bike as well. Keep her clean, check tyre pressures, oil and all that stuff. Lube the chain (easy to do with the center stand). Use rust protection for the winter. It all adds to the enjoyment.

Edit: As for next bike I also thought about the CB500F but I got a CBR650F instead and it is the best thing I ever bought. For now.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: New to it all! Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:

I'm guessing you're older than 25, so why bother with an A2 bike after passing your test? It's not that they aren't fine bikes, but my guess is that you'll most likely get smoked by a few 600 sport bikes and wonder if your purchase was the best idea. Look at the MT07 and Street Triple while buying, you may find the little increase in capacity equates to a whole lot more fun.

^^Absolutely this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:19 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: New to it all! Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:

My advice is to try to ride it every day if you can. Take it to work, shops, friends, explore roads you don't normally travel. Enjoy it.
You will know when you want to upgrade to a full licence.

Got started on my yellow CB125F just under a month ago, I can connect with the regular use thing, managed almost 800miles in first month and I only have to commute into Bristol once a week on average, the rest is country rides, popping out to the shops for people at the drop of a hat (often I end up coff.. going to Supermarket in the the next town), and practicing slow riding in car-parks.

I thought I was going to wait until next year but the new plan is to start my training for full licence as soon as possible now (get it out of the way before next Spring) I am happy to ride in the rain (and cold when it comes) but the thought a getting a bigger bike when the weather picks up next year is tooo delicious.

Don't get me wrong though, I am loving the 125 and hopefully still will, keeps up pretty well on the country roads and works a treat in the City. Had a few nerves and had to build up confidence and skills (probably wlll be on a learning curve forever now) but lots of fun.

Do you have some good places to go just for fun? I am lucky only about 15mils from Cheddar Gorge, lots of good places to ride around here (roads are not as well maintained as some areas though).

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the path of bikes that YOU want and enjoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:15 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: New to it all! Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have some good places to go just for fun? I am lucky only about 15mils from Cheddar Gorge, lots of good places to ride around here (roads are not as well maintained as some areas though).

Burrington Coombe, Cheddar Gorge, stop in Wells for coffee, Blagdon Lakes. I might have seen you around!
OP, if you can find a route you really enjoy, you can make that the basis of many weekend or evening rides. It will encourage you to get out and ride, and it's all experience.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: New to it all! Reply with quote

Johanna wrote:

Burrington Coombe, Cheddar Gorge, stop in Wells for coffee, Blagdon Lakes. I might have seen you around!
OP, if you can find a route you really enjoy, you can make that the basis of many weekend or evening rides. It will encourage you to get out and ride, and it's all experience.

Yup all loops around those places, is a good part of the country for bike riding me-thinks Smile my son came home on Sunday (just started on the 125cc thing himself) we did the Burrington Cheddar loop, looking forward to a clear dry autumn day when the tourists are thin on the ground.

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: New to it all! Reply with quote

[quote="chris_hu_cheng"]
Johanna wrote:

You're not a gazillion miles from me. Have you tried some of the A roads that head down towards Haynes Motor Museum?

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow Bristolian(ish)

Enjoy your 125, but have a go on something bigger if you're old enough. Opens up a whole new world of bikes and fun. Don't have to go silly, but you'll certainly be safer on something that can get you out of a tight spot (read angry drivers trying to overtake slow l platers).

Johanna
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:43 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
... something that can get you out of a tight spot (read angry drivers trying to overtake slow l platers).

This is a good point. Some people will try to push around a bike with L plates because they think the bike is going to be slow. Even if your bike can comfortably accelerate and cruise at 60, some will push past in town because they think you will be slow once you get to a faster bit of road.
There is a bit more respect once the L plate is gone.

(And I haven't ridden up by Haynes Motor Museum much. There are some lovely roads that way, though.)

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:12 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
Hello fellow Bristolian(ish)
But you'll certainly be safer on something that can get you out of a tight spot (read angry drivers trying to overtake slow l platers).

I can sympathise with that, going to start training for full licence shortly, not in a massive hurry but want to get it sorted before next Spring. Having had a chat. Re the L plate thing, chatted with a few drivers who are a bit fuzzy about the L pate, some actually think that it means you have to be on 50cc and restricted to 30mph, a couple of times had a car happily hanging a nice distance behind me for a while and suddenly rush to overtake (somewhat unsafely one time). The common factor being a 40 or 50mph restriction coming up (from a 30) ... they then obey the next speed limit . I suspect they are surprised to see me keeping up behind them. These are otherwise mild looking cars and drivers who apart from the sudden rush to overtake seem quite happily pootling along.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1