Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Garage Lighting

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:55 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Garage Lighting Reply with quote

Ellopeeps.

Following on from the bike lift thread, I had a measure up at the weekend and I'm now looking at what kind of lighting I can get for which budget. The garage is 9'x18', and the ceiling is asbestos cement sheet (I'm yet to make a decision on whether it's going to be removed, covered, or just painted) so will probably run some LED striplights around the perimeter on the wall, and then have a couple above the workbench, maybe along the lines of these :-

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ykt5bf1-l55-t5-led-linear-linkable-cabinet-striplight-cool-white-9w-562mm/4012r

Any thoughts, alternatives, recommendations? Any money I spend on the garage is money I won't have for my music studio in the house Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted those (or something almost identical in the galley area on my boat. They are fine for that but are quite low, I'm not sure you will get decent light over a work bench.

I fitted this directly over my work bench and it's great for a working light.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-slimline-led-floodlight-20w-black-cool-white/4202v

In fact could probably get away with the smaller one.

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend that you also paint the walls and ceiling white as it will make it brighter, the white paint helped big time in my garage.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

woo wrote:
I recommend that you also paint the walls and ceiling white as it will make it brighter, the white paint helped big time in my garage.

Aye, that's first on the list. Well, second, once I decide what's happening with the ceiling.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put one of these in our small kitchen (guestimate of 10' x 10' probably smaller)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-led-batten-60w-6000lm-6ft/3428v

great light, wouldn't hesitate in putting a few in my garage (if I hadn't already installed LEDs)

Only issue is that the cable enters on the end and is visible, no problem in a garage but a little messy in a kitchen. It does mean you can daisy chain them though.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want your music studio garage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:18 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I used. They are lightweight, effective and can be daisy-chained. They come with two flimsy plastic clips that hold on with a single screw each and you just click the light unit up into them

When I say that's what I used, I actually used the fluorescent tube versions in my lockup because they were significantly cheaper but I HAVE used the LED ones elsewhere. The fluo ones are great too though, electronic so none of that flickering shit.

Check if they come with a lead to connect them to the ceiling rose/each other. I had to buy them seperately.

I used 4 in a square around the ceiling (about a foot in from the wall) on a standard single garage and they are fine. You're never in your own light. Could do with another over the workbench.

Would buy again.

331X2
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:52 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably go for two pairs of 600 x 600 LED modular fittings (as fitted to suspended ceilings) as they give good light off.

This is what they look like and you can get them for around £20 each from most electrical wholesalers, see if there is a Yesss Electrical Supplies near you.

andy-b2
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
I put one of these in our small kitchen (guestimate of 10' x 10' probably smaller)
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-led-batten-60w-6000lm-6ft/3428v

great light, wouldn't hesitate in putting a few in my garage (if I hadn't already installed LEDs)

Only issue is that the cable enters on the end and is visible, no problem in a garage but a little messy in a kitchen. It does mean you can daisy chain them though.

Those are great but not water/damp proof so make sure you have no issues with water.

Andy

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth mentioning that it's actually possible to have lighting that's too bright - something I never came across until the advent of LED tech. I find that with some of the really bright lamps, you can get dazzled by light being reflected off whatever it is you're trying to illuminate

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

2x 5ft 58w flourescent tubes in my shed, wired to 3 pin plugs.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:54 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar garage (including asbestos roof).

I went with 1 twin 5ft T8 (22watt * 2) LED IP65 light at one end of garage (high ceiling end) and 1 single 5ft T8 22 watt LED IP65 fitting at the low ceiling end.

But to be honest, I wish I'd gotten twins both ends.

something like this

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:26 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

"The owner of sponsor.bikechatforums.com has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site."

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 03 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convert an old computer psu to 12v and run a load of LED strips.
The better the psu, the more strips you can run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:11 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I fitted those (or something almost identical in the galley area on my boat. They are fine for that but are quite low, I'm not sure you will get decent light over a work bench.

I fitted this directly over my work bench and it's great for a working light.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-slimline-led-floodlight-20w-black-cool-white/4202v

In fact could probably get away with the smaller one.

i took your advice and did exactly the same thing.
i have a strip light that is ok for most stuff.
but when i need additional light on my bench i have one the LED flood lights.
https://i.imgur.com/PU1gsyq.jpg

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:14 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw i put similar to this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/led-batten-45w-4000lm-5ft/5440r

to replace the dying fluorescent tube light in my garage. What an instant difference in lighting.. as others have said, paint the walls and it will no doubt make a big difference.

when i can be bothered to, i will daisy chain two more of these on opposing walls to give light closer to the floor. For a 3.5mx6m garage, one of them is not enough as shadows get cast fairly easily.

dedicated lighting directly over a workbench is fantastic too as above, if you have a single batten on the ceiling shadows get annoying..its usually you causing the shadow so you have to stand at a funny angle to let the light past you

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:37 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Convert an old computer psu to 12v and run a load of LED strips.
The better the psu, the more strips you can run.

Aye, I'd come across this when I first started looking :-

https://www.instructables.com/id/Inexpensive-Garage-Lights-From-LED-Strips/

Certainly a cheap solution, might be useful for secondary lighting along the wall.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 04 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Pigeon wrote:

"The owner of sponsor.bikechatforums.com has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site."

Cert of the https version of sponsor.bikechatforums.com is actually for *.redirectingat.com correctly browsers moan about such things.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Wright wrote:
I'd probably go for two pairs of 600 x 600 LED modular fittings (as fitted to suspended ceilings) as they give good light off.

This is what they look like and you can get them for around £20 each from most electrical wholesalers, see if there is a Yesss Electrical Supplies near you.

I've got 2, 300x600. They diffuse the light over a wide area so you don't get sharp shadows, plus I went for warm light so they're not harsh at all.

You could drape polythene sheet over the top as they don't get hot if you're worried about water ingress from above. Can be fixed in place with trade building adhesive as they're really light, pun intended.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the lathe I have a cheap 18w panel light,which is essentially a led strip in a square, with a large diffuser. It works well, but I have not found a cheap driver board that can run from 12v, so I cant use in garage.

Garage and lathe, I use 12v 5w led warm white DRL cob boards, available on ebay for a pound each. They give off good light and I have them where most needed, and a few more with a lipo cell and boost circuit so I can put anywhere with no cord. My garage does not have power, so this is ideal to run for an old car battery.

2Hondas
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two 600x600 40w daylight LED panels in my 15'x9' man-cave which has my workbench, and I don't think i could ever need more light than they give off.

I've got mine held on with 4 screws, but i'm sure you could surface mount a box to hold them with no-more-nails or similar.

+1 for white walls and ceilings. Even if it's just a placebo, it feels like it makes a big difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 223 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1