Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

very short ride!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:25 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: very short ride! Reply with quote

So admittedly ive not been out on the bike for a while, been working long hours and at weekend either been away or doing DIY

Just been away for a week and while away saw a few bikers out enjoying the weather... all i could think all week, was when i get home im taking billy bike out for a long ride!!

So, i get up this morning, rush around to get stuff done to free up my afternoon.
Im thinking, ill get out around noon and get back around 8-9pm

So i get on computer, update sat nav, load up maps create a nice round trip taking in a couple of bike stops (Rivington Hall Barn and Cat n Fiddle) load it to sat nav.

Unlock bike, clip on sat nav, start her up...engine running out of garage, down side of house and drive onto street.....
Crap need to lock up... wifes out.
turn bike off, lock side gate and front door.... back to bike
wont start!!! WTF
battery dead.... pushed it around cant start it, sweating like a bastard and pissed off.... also a tad embarrassed at the people walking past.

push bike back in garage on charge Sad

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear! The modern generation biker and insurmountable problems. Wink

I only used to look at route planners or maps for places and areas I'd never ridden to before. The thought of a sat nav instructed Intinary turns me off so much I'd rather cut the lawn and next doors lawn instead.

As for bump starting a bike, it's definitely easier in shorts, T-shirt and no helmet on a hot day. And there's a technique that once you do it right makes it easy. Its a bit harder on a high compression twin like a Ducati 998SP but still doable.

I wonder what the old school ride to work, didnt own a car lads back in the day would have made of this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:35 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life can be a bitch.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:45 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I only used to look at route planners or maps for places and areas I'd never ridden to before. The thought of a sat nav instructed Intinary turns me off so much I'd rather cut the lawn and next doors lawn instead.

As for bump starting a bike, it's definitely easier in shorts, T-shirt and no helmet on a hot day. And there's a technique that once you do it right makes it easy. Its a bit harder on a high compression twin like a Ducati 998SP but still doable.

I wonder what the old school ride to work, didnt own a car lads back in the day would have made of this?

Well the ride to work/no car person was me at one time.
And i rode in all weathers even on snowy days when my boss said i was.. and i quote "Fuckin nuts" although he was impressed with my dedication to the cause lol

but since my dedication above earned me higher wages, i bought a Insignia VXR which is nicer to commute in and means i dont have to change clothes as i arrive.
that and the fact im 50 next year and according to the wife i should start being sensible..... not sure what thats all about Very Happy

As for the Sat navs.
I wanted to still visit certain places but not take the route ive done to death, so plotted a long ride round.
I used to just ride out and see where it took me... which 9 times out of 10 meant getting lost and shitting bricks when i was low on fuel in the middle of the moors!
Which is why i bought the tomtom rider lol

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd accept that to the Honda VTR owner a live updated real time view of fuel stations probably is the best modification they could make to their bike, and would solve alot of stress, sweating and the familiar stood by the side of the road routine with a dead bike.

And don't listen to me, as I have to admit that modern technology can be great and I can see how it makes people's lives easier, better and more convenient for both business and leisure. Its just I refuse to get on board kicking and screaming like a kid whos lost his sweets. Laughing

I guess for the family dad or mum that has 2.64hours of free leisure time between parenting, transport duties and cooking, and family ties then a sat nav with a defined route of interest that can be achieved in the free time slot is a huge bonus.
As a very big childish kid the thought of allocated me time leaves me cold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

My stepfather used to ride his MKIII Commando into work every morning, the delightful machine had a Polish electric start, that didn't, and I invariably spent every weekday morning helping him push it onto the road and far enough along until the hill gave him enough momentum to bump it. It would kick easy once ridden but after a night in the garage, especially colder mornings, it wasn't starting for anybody without a bump.
I have bumped quite a few of my machines, the Zed 1100 was a tad tricky though and was always a tossup as to whether it was going to bump or just lock up the rear wheel...and that was always in second gear, general rule of thumb always bump in second.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push start it like a 1950s racing god.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had non-rides like that. Laughing I always get the bike out in my normal clothes then get changed into my kit once all
the pushing and shoving is done. So I'll get the bike out on a sketchy day after finally succumbing to needing to get
the bike out for a blat. Then I'll go upstairs and put my kit on. But there have been times where I've come downstairs
again in head to toe leather and boots, take one look at the sky, then put bike away and get changed back into normal
clothes again and sack it. I don't know what it is about the Spacker, I sometimes call it the Stormbringer. As for getting
dormant vehicles running, I keep a fully charged van battery handy and have some mini jump leads for starting dead bikes
plus bigger leads for vans and cars as needed. 750cca will start most things tbh.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:06 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:

If it's fuel injected it won't work.

inline4
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:

Why not? I have push started my old Bandit 1250 in the past and that's fuel injected.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a simple push to start a modern bike.
Fuel injection and massive coils need powah. A battery under power cannot supply the juice. Jump start is the way to do it. i.e. from a spare battery or another vehicle.
Have bike should have jumper cables too.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:19 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmoan wrote:
Andy_Pagin wrote:

I bump started my GSXR for about 2 weeks... FI with a totally dead battery, maybe not, battery with enough to fire it up once beforehand, easy.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumped the Spacker too. Weakened the OEM battery through lack of use probably but it let me down while I was out
with the wife on pillion. Shoved the damn thing to the top of a nearby slope in full kit and 25c then coasts down sat
on it, that did it. Pushing it up that hill nearly did for me though, couldn't stop until I got to the top or I would have lost
momentum and started rolling back down. I don't wish to repeat the experience. I also then bought some bike specific
jump cables so I can use my spare van battery to start my in the shed if they are a bit flat. My full size jump leads are way
too meaty for bike batteries. I was using a metre length of 10mm T&E with the ends stripped, but it was too much of a faff.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 06 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Bumped the Spacker too. Weakened the OEM battery through lack of use probably but it let me down while I was out
with the wife on pillion. Shoved the damn thing to the top of a nearby slope in full kit and 25c then coasts down sat
on it, that did it. Pushing it up that hill nearly did for me though, couldn't stop until I got to the top or I would have lost
momentum and started rolling back down. I don't wish to repeat the experience. I also then bought some bike specific
jump cables so I can use my spare van battery to start my in the shed if they are a bit flat. My full size jump leads are way
too meaty for bike batteries. I was using a metre length of 10mm T&E with the ends stripped, but it was too much of a faff.

Rolling down a hill to drive the engine to start is not the same as 'bump' starting.
Just sayin'.

Was that why she married you? Coz you pushed a bike up a hill with her on it. Wub

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:56 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting some bikes can do it.

In addition to MCNs comments, other problems might arise from any of the electrics not starting up or the fuel injection system not priming properly.

How easily can the battery be partially charged from pushing a bike in gear with other parts drawing power from it like daytime running lights?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 231 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1