Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Not like riding a bike...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 07 Sep 2018    Post subject: Not like riding a bike... Reply with quote

Random moan of no real consequence.

So many motorbike articles and training videos have a habit of saying:

1) Unlike a bicycle, on a motorbike you do most of your braking using the front brake
2) Unlike when you're riding a bicycle, to corner on a motorbike you need to countersteer

.....which makes me think many motorbike trainers need to ride a bike a bit more often (would love to see them attempt to get around a corner at 25mph without countersteering!)

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, my varadero 125cc was just like an over-grown mountain bike with an engine.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Not like riding a bike... Reply with quote

Chutzpah wrote:
1) Unlike a bicycle, on a motorbike you do most of your braking using the front brake

No you don't.

Chutzpah wrote:
2) Unlike when you're riding a bicycle, to corner on a motorbike you need to countersteer

You do countersteer on pushbikes when you go fast enough.

Chutzpah wrote:
.....which makes me think many motorbike trainers need to ride a bike a bit more often (would love to see them attempt to get around a corner at 25mph without countersteering!)

Makes me think people should think before they post. Thumbs Up

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Not like riding a bike... Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

Makes me think people should think before they post. Thumbs Up

i'm confused, as you seem to be in agreement with the OP Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Chutzpah
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah what thx1138 said Very Happy

It was a moan about motorbike trainers saying that. I definitely wasn't agreeing with them!

It seems to be quite consistently said, hence why I'm sat there thinking "go ride a bike"

ps had to do an emergency stop cycle commuting home this afternoon whilst doing about 28mph as a car was started to pull out of side road right in front of me. For the avoidance of doubt, I shifted my backside over the rear wheel, pulled on both levers and then squeezed them to full grab. Lots of front most definitely used Wink

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I overtook a learner on my bicycle last night, I was doing about 30 they swerved into me, and I was riding along the gutter on the wrong side of the road.

Poor obs on my part, I got complacent as there are lots of learners around here, often stalling at the lights, but I should have spotted that this was not a dual control trainer, but an old banger with an L plate stuck on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 218 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1