Bike Lifts

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:45 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Bike Lifts Reply with quote

Ellopeeps.

Looks like I could be moving soon, and will finally have use of a garage to myself. It's not huge (maybe 10'x20') but it'll be a blank canvas and I fancy a bike lift. It won't need to lift a GoldWing, I'm guessing the heaviest bike I'm likely to have is something like a Dullsville or Sportster, so 250Kg is probably an adequate capacity. Doesn't have to go that high, just want enough to be able to sit on a stool and have the engine in front of me, so I'm not sprawling on the floor to do oil changes. Maybe a couple of feet rise?

I could just go and buy one, seem to be enough cropping up on eBay second hand, but I figured I could have a bash at building one, maybe along the lines of this :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjs-kN4KVyU

Anyone here made their own? Or what do you use as an alternative?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:25 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That type wont give you access to remove wheels, and this is the situation I would find it most useful to have things higher up. If it can lift by the swingarm pivot rather than wheels, would be better.

Abba sky lift? I do not like the design of it - the lift being an afterthought of the stand. I think there are other ones that would be easier to use, cant remember, but were expensive.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
That type wont give you access to remove wheels

I'd put the bike on its centre stand and/or use axle stands, like I do when it's on the floor.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:47 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Re: Bike Lifts Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Ellopeeps.

Looks like I could be moving soon, and will finally have use of a garage to myself. It's not huge (maybe 10'x20') but it'll be a blank canvas and I fancy a bike lift. It won't need to lift a GoldWing, I'm guessing the heaviest bike I'm likely to have is something like a Dullsville or Sportster, so 250Kg is probably an adequate capacity. Doesn't have to go that high, just want enough to be able to sit on a stool and have the engine in front of me, so I'm not sprawling on the floor to do oil changes. Maybe a couple of feet rise?

I could just go and buy one, seem to be enough cropping up on eBay second hand, but I figured I could have a bash at building one, maybe along the lines of this :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjs-kN4KVyU

Anyone here made their own? Or what do you use as an alternative?

i have actually tried to replicate the build in that youtube link...
It was meh, i took it apart and wasted money on it. The jack you will need to buy and cut up isnt really wide enough from the start.. it felt unstable and a bit sketchy even with a light bike on it. FK doing that with 250kg+

save the money in the log run and buy proper one

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:50 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask sickpup. Thumbs Up

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=324686&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested I have a proper table lift in my garage that I don't use except to park the old Fazer on it.

It might be too big for what you want as it will take up quite a bit of room. I've lifted a Busa quite happily on it. It's this one....

https://s5.postimg.cc/j5g3gnjc7/100_0181.jpg

Would need to be collected from MK in a van or on a big trailer. It must be approaching 10 years old now but has hardly any use. I'm not in any rush to get rid of so could wait until you are all set up.

If you are interested, £50 ish?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If you are interested I have a proper table lift in my garage that I don't use except to park the old Fazer on it.

PM Incoming Thumbs Up

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

It might be too big for what you want as it will take up quite a bit of room. I've lifted a Busa quite happily on it. It's this one....

Would need to be collected from MK in a van or on a big trailer. It must be approaching 10 years old now but has hardly any use. I'm not in any rush to get rid of so could wait until you are all set up.

Damn that's a good deal. I found it less than comfortable getting under the 1100 to change it's oil recently and have been contemplating one of these lifts. So if it falls through for whatever reason, can I has second dibs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Triumph1300
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF Doug isn't, I am interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If the other two don't want it, I'll have it too Laughing

ಠ_ಠ

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Doug has first shout and we'll see from there if he doesn't take it up.

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 31 Aug 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://media.giphy.com/media/DB2oahQFa0qeQ/giphy.gif

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:31 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
OK, Doug has first shout and we'll see from there if he doesn't take it up.

Take it up where?

Thinking

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 08:08 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Thank you. Thumbs Up

Polarbear wrote:

Thats a steal, they tend to go for £200ish + secind hand. That looks like a lighter one than the Clarke one but I could be wrong. Possibly the one M&P used to sell?

Shaggy

I can't say strongly enough that if you take Polarbears kind offer get a builder in to sink it into the floor. Other wise in a few years time just like Polarbear you will be offloading it cheap because its in the way. Sunk into the floor it won't take up any room at all and it makes it a lot easier to get a bike on it, no ramps and the bench doesn't move.

If like me your knees aren't up to much you could take a look at something like this which is pretty new to market. Not cheap but oh so much nicer than a pedal pump bench but you will of course need a decent compressor.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 01 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH sickpup it's not to bad when flat on the floor. I just park one of my bikes on it so it's not really in the way.

I'm happy to sell it because I have got to the age where all my maintenance is now done by a mechanic. I've changed my garage to be more a mancave than a maintenance place and I haven't operated it in over a year so if someone can make use of it, good. Thumbs Up

I'll probably be putting a model railway in soon to go with my pipe and slippers. Gagged Gagged

I won't really. Laughing

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 02 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
https://media.giphy.com/media/DB2oahQFa0qeQ/giphy.gif

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

...no, mine Smile

I've taken PB up on his great offer.

sickpup wrote:
I can't say strongly enough that if you take Polarbears kind offer get a builder in to sink it into the floor.

First job is to get electricity to the garage, sort out lighting and outlets, beef up the locks and paint the walls white before we move in - I can worry about digging holes later Smile

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 05 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two ramps and they are in constant use with one having a bike needing short term use and the other with a longer term job in progress.Luckily I have the right size garage but the other bikes do need moving out of the way so that I can work around both.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/Picture395.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 01:21 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

just seen this...Machine Mart discounts, bike lifts etc

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/machine-mart-offers/garage-gear-price-crash/?da=1&TC=HPB-GarageGearPriceCrash

Rednine
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:14 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the CML3 ramp from Machine Mart VAT free day about a year ago and I'm very impressed with the quality and finish. Great piece of garage kit. Very Happy

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
TBH sickpup it's not to bad when flat on the floor. I just park one of my bikes on it so it's not really in the way.

I'm happy to sell it because I have got to the age where all my maintenance is now done by a mechanic. I've changed my garage to be more a mancave than a maintenance place and I haven't operated it in over a year so if someone can make use of it, good. Thumbs Up

I'll probably be putting a model railway in soon to go with my pipe and slippers. Gagged Gagged

I won't really. Laughing

Golf Bats soon?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:34 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

I won't really. Laughing

Golf Bats soon?

God no, can't stand the 'game' Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1