Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

electric drills

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 08 Sep 2018    Post subject: electric drills Reply with quote

I need a new 240v drill seen as I killed my other one, this seems like good shout. it will mostly be used for steel and masonry.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-RPD1200-K-Speed-Percussion-Drill/dp/B00I5T7KII/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

any strong thoughts for or against this one?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&Q it special?

I had a 2t hedge trimmer by them. Not bad gear but there is much better.

I love my Big Bosch machine. But it was expensive. Sort of Trade version.

Edit:

This Beast:

https://www.bosch-professional.com/za/en/impact-drill-gsb-19-2-re-227129-060117b500.html

It's went up in price bit. 😯

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:48 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly the sort of tool where second hand is king IMO.

I've heard lots of good stuff about Ryobi tools in general, but I'd still trust a £30 second hand Bosch/Makita/AEG more than a £100 brand new Ryobi.

My second hand Makita has been faultless and it's had some real abuse.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an 110v Makita SDS drill for anything masonry based, it goes through concrete like it's cheese.
All my other drilling is done with either 18v cordless Makita combi or 10.8v Makita mini drill. I inherited my grandads
green Bosch 240v mains drill, but it rarely sees the light of day unless battery/life loss of speed is a hinderance to what
I'm trying to accomplish. It gets used for with a whisk in it for mixing plaster/adhesives more than anything else.
It has a graduated trigger control so it's easy to run it at lower speeds for mixing.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Makita drills.
Better than any other I've ever owned.

My Ryobi hedgetrimmers started leaking fuel so not too impresses.

Replaced with Tanaka ones.

Using quality tools is a pleasing thing.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That will be rubbish for steel. Toooo fast with no torques, it will do small holes, not good above 6mm or holesaws. Any cordless lioon/lipo will be better - they usually have a planetary gearbox with a higher reduction. Some have the hammer function which will do basic masonary very well. A 4ah or 5ah lipo battery will sustain much higher torques than the normal 2ah.

If you need to drill concrete get a proper sds, wont be good for drilling metal with any accuracy.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:52 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
That's exactly the sort of tool where second hand is king IMO.

And more often than not, nicked.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
lipo

LiPo drills? Didn't even know that was a thing. Is charging easy / safe?

I've been happy with my Ryobi and before that my makita, but both have been cordless.

I tend to use a pillar drill for steel, but that might not be suitable for drilling into walls Laughing

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my mistake, lipo have higher cost so they are not used in cordless tools. Better peak power but lower power density.. perfectly suitable.

I use RC lipo packs with my modified, old nicd drills. They have massive amount of torque when connected to a 6S 5ah lipo. I use a proper RC lipo charger, so perfectly safe if not unattended.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:07 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get two.

A big, cheap SDS for masonry. More power is more.

A decent variable speed for metal, never use it in hammer mode. Look for the one with least possible play around the chuck bearings. As above you want power but you also want control so slow speed.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I use a corded drill now is for ultra heavy duty work.

My 18v Makita with hammer and 2 batteries is good for 80% of work I do. My pillar drill for 10% and anything bigger I need I'll borrow. Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:27 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Get two.

A big, cheap SDS for masonry. More power is more.

A decent variable speed for metal, never use it in hammer mode. Look for the one with least possible play around the chuck bearings. As above you want power but you also want control so slow speed.

I have a MAC ALLISTER 1200W CORDED SDS PLUS ROTARY HAMMER DRILL MSRH1200 (May be a B&Q mark). Cost me £55 but they are about £65 now.
The SDS bits are a bit ££ so you need to know what size you need.

You can get the Jacobs chuck for an SDS too which could save you money or having to buy two machines.
The machine pisses through concrete (and reeo-bar too.)
My SDS does percussion and simple rotary.
It is not quite as versatile as my Bosch but it is a decent impostor.

SDS WTF?
https://www.its.co.uk/blog/buying-guides/what-is-an-sds-drill/

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The only time I use a corded drill now is for ultra heavy duty work.

I regularly use a Milwaukee M18 at work to drill M16 clearance holes (16.5mm) and have done quite a few in stainless plates.
...might be on the third set of brushes now but I’m convinced that’s everybody else’s fault.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lidl (or Aldi? Unsure) "bug" drill for masonry. SDS. Max. impact energy 4.5J. I think it was £30 or thereabouts. Very good for what I need it for, occasional going through 1 brick thick walls, cavity walls, or similar thicknesses of concrete. Also works well fro removing tiles, "light" concrete breaking. No good for anything vary accurate because the SDS system means it wobbles a bit. Included was an SDS to 3-jaw converter, not much good because it fits in the SDS "chuck". I've had it for over 15 years. It's had new brushes once, and a fix to the power cable where it enters the drill.

It looks like this: https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p17425 but seems to have a better spec.

An ordinary 240V twin-speed-with-reverse-and-switchable-hammer-action drill does other work. Also a cheapie. Used it for about 10 years. Squidges some grease into the gearbox a couple of times. New brushes once.

Looks like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb276drl-850w-percussion-drill-230-240v/93908

I reckon anything that comes with an alloy gearbox is probably a good bet.

I have had a couple of rechargable things, but they haven't the oomph, and go flat in storage, and the batteries need replacing in a couple of years if you're lucky. I would not by another unless I was using it virtually every working day.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: electric drills Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryobi-RPD1200-K-Speed-Percussion-Drill/dp/B00I5T7KII/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

any strong thoughts for or against this one?

Looks OK. It's quite dear, quite heavy, do you need that much power? It'll spin you around. Is the LED actually useful, I wonder. Good that it has variable speed.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd seen this one that is 1/2 the price and still variable speed

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-con1200-contractor-hammer-drill/

I have a lidl spesh big SDS Drill/Breaker in the garage, it was £29.99, Broke it breaking up a large concrete slab. I think the gear box is broken, I keep meaning to take to the tip.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these Bosch sds jobbies. Had it for a long time. I think it was 99 quid from b&q but it came with a drill driver.
Nothing has stopped it so far.
https://www.campbellmillertools.co.uk/bosch-pbh-2500-sre-rotary-sds-hammer-drill-in-carry-case-240v-0603344470?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIufzB-7-x3QIV7ZXtCh2u4g0oEAQYJCABEgIvqfD_BwE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

duhawkz wrote:
I'd seen this one that is 1/2 the price and still variable speed

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-con1200-contractor-hammer-drill/

I have a lidl spesh big SDS Drill/Breaker in the garage, it was £29.99, Broke it breaking up a large concrete slab. I think the gear box is broken, I keep meaning to take to the tip.

Reviews look good, spec too.

Take your Lidl one to bits, it's interesting to see how they (don't) work! It might be the same one as I've got, which is still going!

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:23 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or send it to AvE off YouTube and let him do a full teardown on it Cool Thumbs Up

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Or send it to AvE off YouTube and let him do a full teardown on it Cool Thumbs Up

It weights a ton it will cost me about 600 quid to post it

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:58 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I messaged him about some old tools he offered to pay postage.

I mean, do what you want with the thing, but if cost of postage was literally the only thing putting you off that option, maybe worth a quick message to him.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 220 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1