Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

99 R1 stator plug toast?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: 99 R1 stator plug toast? Reply with quote

Plug from stator to rev on 99 R1 is crispy/burnt/falling apart (literally).
Stator shows correct resistance so plan to solder the cables together and do away with the plug for now (needs new wire soldering on to reach anywho..).
Is there a specific order these wires need to be connected? They’re all white ffs? Lol.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/5ef21be3-2c5d-47cb-bde8-c187f3afe444.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/3b0d2ae8-265a-41dd-9281-f5fe9f8cd315.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/6a8cb520-e368-441d-a274-8dac0bd07e26.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez that reg (not rev) must have been red hot, connect the 3 white wires in any order.
Find out why it happened and what other damage has been done.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.

I suspect it was corrosion on the contacts causing the heat buildup.

Testing the stator shows the correct resistance, regulator wires look absolutely fine. Thinking

There is cooked plastic on the spade connectors so I'm fairly confident this would be the cause.

Just struggling to find some cable thick enough also due to the high temps the wire has been cooked/contaminated and solder won't flow.

Just going to have to cut back further into the loom I guess Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have got the '98 R1, stuff of legends.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

98 and 99 are pretty much the same machine.

00 was the next major revision and I may get a chance to play on an 04.
I won't lie, I prefer the looks of the later models and I doubt the extra 30 bhp wouldn't be appreciated but I'm curious to see what the power delivery is like and what all the fuss is about...

The 99 is a wheelie machine, although not such a good thing on bumpy country lanes without a steering damper Laughing

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:02 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all feed from the stator, no specific order.

Just go back until you see shiny metal and clean it all up.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any clues on what gauge cable I should be looking for?
It looks like standard 240v/13 amp is a little thinner than the cables to be joined...
Would halfrauds 12v/27amp be overkill? Thinking

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
Any clues on what gauge cable I should be looking for?

You can glean a few tips from Eastern Beaver Cool here.
When I did my '03 R1 I bought their ready-made kits, but then I had been going round the houses for months and eventually had to replace pretty much everything in one go. In hindsight I think the problem might have been a dodgy section of loom (guessing, I never saw it) between the reg/rec and battery. The kit by-passed it so the reg/rec goes straight to battery terminals instead of into a loom connection.[/url]

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

14 AWG recommended so I will massively over-spec with 27amp cable then (plus it's the same price).

Insurance runs out tomorrow, not renewing due to winter & new baby due soon :-\.

Will solder it up this arvo and hopefully get out for one last hoon, also hopefully confirm I've solved the mystery rattle (tightening up the Exup valve cable, there was a fair amount of play...).

Mucho's gracious

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:13 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatefreak wrote:
98 and 99 are pretty much the same machine.

00 was the next major revision and I may get a chance to play on an 04.
I won't lie, I prefer the looks of the later models and I doubt the extra 30 bhp wouldn't be appreciated but I'm curious to see what the power delivery is like and what all the fuss is about...

The 99 is a wheelie machine, although not such a good thing on bumpy country lanes without a steering damper Laughing

The '98 R1 is like no other machine known to man, it has a throttle that goes both ways.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play...
Just some feed back, soldered the stator cables and getting a solid 14.5v @ 5k. Took it out for an hour and all seems to be good Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:48 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a result of heavy oxidation of the contacts (the white stuff), I have seen this before.

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:35 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
This could be a result of heavy oxidation of the contacts (the white stuff), I have seen this before.

This can be the only explanation I can conclude.
The connector is thoroughly burn out and all the wires have baked a little for an inch or two but aside from that there is no other damage apparent.

Stator/reg-rec/rest of the wiring is fine...

The bike is off the road for several months now, I plan to strip it down and give each plug a clean/pack with dialectic grease just to be on the safe side Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:06 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, 1999 was a long time ago and unless you've cleaned all the electrical plugs (the critical ones being the stator, reg/rec and the fuse box and battery terminals) it was only a matter of time, when the oxidation build up would cause issues.

Keeping things clean and well lubricated is the key for longevity. Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:28 - 11 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the big one behind the infill panel on left hand side. That is a fucker.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 221 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1