Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Uprate clutch or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Uprate clutch or not? Reply with quote

After having spent this afternoon carefully removing old gasket residue and sealant from my KMX 125's clutch cover I've prepped the cover for re-painting. Im changing the kick start oil seal and water pump seals as a matter of course too.

However without removing the engine, it's hard to get the clutch cover off without scratching the paint, so I don't really want to go back in here for a while.

The clutch was new 500miles ago and everything looks fine. But I don't know if I should be thinking of fitting an uprated clutch, heavy duty springs or a KMX 200 basket and plates set?

I'm slightly tuning the bike, it's going to be closer to 140cc and with a new pipe, bigger carb and programmable ignition. If it say ends up making 5-6bhp more and a bit more torque is it likely to need anything doing to handle it? My gut says the 125 std clutch should be fine, but I don't want to go back inside it again if possible.

I only took the cover off to change the power valve governor springs to one that operates at lower rpm for the full power bike, talk about a can of worms or should that be a can of paint? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:13 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd expect a few hp to be perfectly fine. People get more than that on a basic retune.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 19:00 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I prefer the feel of uprated clutch springs always. For the sake of £10 it's worth doing while you are there.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd expect a few hp to be perfectly fine

AOL.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually got a set of +15% stronger EBC clutch springs I bought, but wasn't sure if it'd make the nice light clutch heavier, but I guess it won't, as the KMX 200 runs stiffer springs and an extra set of plates in a taller basket and they are fine.

Think I'll fit them anyway, and while I'm at it I can replace the gear change shaft oil seal, that has a slight weap. Thumbs Up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genuine (but lighthearted) question - are you ever going to stop cocking around with this thing and actually get it done?

Seems like you've been talking about it since I joined BCF, but 8 years later, there's not been so much as a single picture and you're no nearer to getting it finished.

Uprated clutch for an extra 5 bhp - SRSLY?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it your talking about my other KMX project bike the 88 200? I've had that bike since 2006 and it's now pretty much boxes of bits, but the frame still has the back end and knackered shock/Swingarm attached and lots of brackets hanging off and the old cables still attached.

Its been a rainy day project since about 2008, but you know how it is, theres always been other things and I've been on/off into messing with cars since then. Im actually thinking of getting a ticket for next year's Taffy Dakar rally, so I'll need this bike for that event and it's only going to get a straight forward mechanical re-build and the tatty bodywork will remain as it was pretty much.

This bike is my garage Queen 125 I've had it just over 4years, and done 500miles on it since, but have spent loads of time and a bit of cash on replacing or re-furbing parts or just covering it in aftermarket tat. Call it a hobby maybe? Yeah pictures I should add more of the bits I'm fitting but as this bike was near fully restored when it came to me, I don't feel a show and tell thread is really appropriate?

Your right through I need to stop fucking around and finish this bike and the 200 as well. Im thinking about buying one last brand new bike next year that isn't a project just a rider, and see if I can get my biking mojo back again?

But more importantly than that I've had my much missed Rover 220 off the road garaged for the last 3years while I saved money for parts. I want to drive it next year and make it something to be really proud of.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:11 - 10 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would throw the bike back together with whatever works, do your event and get it out of your system.

Both of them are financial cul-de-sacs, but the car is obviously what floats your boat (you don't waste many opportunities to give it a mention) so put everything into that and, maybe, come back to bikes at another point.

I don't know how old you are, but you've already decided hi-po super bikes aren't for you, so age won't be a barrier to getting back into 2 wheels later on.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:56 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I own is a financial cul-de-sac but I won't let it worry me and nor should you really. I'd class all my vehicles as toys as I drive company vehicles for work, and can get to 75% of the places I want to regularly go either by bus, train or cycle.
Its different and perhaps hard to comprehend to someone who's bikes have to be useful and earn their living or someone who doesn't drive etc.

I don't know what I've spent on my KMX this year? The cylinder conversion was £320, the Radiator was about the same, carb £140, exhaust £300, and then probably around £250 of bolts, fasteners, gaskets seals and small bits. I don't count it up, just when I've got spare money I'll buy things I need or think I need, and when I haven't I walk away from it and leave it for a couple of months or so.

I won't sell the car, as I'd want something else to fill it's place and whatever vehicle it was would never be sensible so what's the point?

Anyway I'll put my clutch back together at the weekend and today I picked up a gold MX pro chain for it, as seeing as I've got to split the chain to fit my new sprocket I thought I might as well replace it?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1