Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What are Beemer thinking?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: What are Beemer thinking? Reply with quote

Why is the question, sensible answers might be worth sending to BMW!

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/09/11/bmw-self-riding-autonomous-motorcycle-video/

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:21 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been a few other autonomous bikes in the last few years. I doubt there's any market for it but it demonstrates technological prowess.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:38 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two wheeled autonomous delivery motorcycles are probably a far more practical long-term goal for the likes of Amazon or whoever than drones IMO so maybe BMW are on to something?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:07 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very spooky looking but interesting. Makes you realise riding a bikes not that skillful either in terms of the basic riding dynamic.

One thing thr engineers really need to crack is being able to see that crap on the road just around the corner which will have the bike low-siding.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
One thing thr engineers really need to crack is being able to see that crap on the road just around the corner which will have the bike low-siding.

And where to park it, hhhhhmmmmmmm?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:33 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:

And where to park it, hhhhhmmmmmmm?

Ive missed you babe Wub

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: What are Beemer thinking? Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Why is the question...

Getting it all ready for SkyNet, natch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT7eYRmSKoY

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: What are Beemer thinking? Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
mentalboy wrote:
Why is the question...

Getting it all ready for SkyNet, natch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT7eYRmSKoY

Damnit ninja'd
https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/terminator-salvation-motorcycle-based-on-ducati-hypermotard-6585_1.jpg
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another sign that tech companies are unwittingly making humans redundant. Replacing jobs with robots, but not providing any alternative, worthwhile life for the people now unemployed. Soon, you'll have robots with AI to enjoy your computer games for you.

I can see absolutely no reason for self driving motorcycles. Motorcycles were never about just transport - it was always about the human spirit in my book. Might as well send a robot to the summit of Everest to nab that most human of ambitions - and I daresay someone will soon.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Two wheeled autonomous delivery motorcycles are probably a far more practical long-term goal for the likes of Amazon or whoever than drones IMO so maybe BMW are on to something?

A drone can gently place a package within a safe enclosed space or doorstep and depart before your average lowlife realises it was even in the area.
Would an autonomous delivery bike just eject it's cargo in kinda the right direction, like the stereotypical US paperboy, because it can't get up the steps to your door or have enough room to turn around on your path/driveway? Apartment buildings will need their own post room with turn space.
Would they have to mount a cannon on it to discourage riff raff from trying to push it over/nick it when it's stopped at the lights or ejecting it's cargo at delivery point?

It would certainly solve the dilemma of taking selfies while riding hard, just set it on sport mode, dump it at the start line of Brands Hatch and bingo, great photos of your bike hanging low going round Surtee's bend - presumably taken with the super hi-res camera on your latest device that you could now afford because you don't need to go ATTGATT anymore?

SMIDSYs are obviously a thing of the past as the rest of us now spend our time taking selfies whilst our autonomous Ford Fiesta takes us to our next photo opportunity!

I'm starting to understand why some oicks like rolling coal!

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Just another sign that tech companies are unwittingly making humans redundant. Replacing jobs with robots, but not providing any alternative, worthwhile life for the people now unemployed. Soon, you'll have robots with AI to enjoy your computer games for you.

I can see absolutely no reason for self driving motorcycles. Motorcycles were never about just transport - it was always about the human spirit in my book. Might as well send a robot to the summit of Everest to nab that most human of ambitions - and I daresay someone will soon.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/FrameBreaking-1812.jpg/220px-FrameBreaking-1812.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6e/FrameBreaking-1812.jpg/220px-FrameBreaking-1812.jpg

Nope. You've lost me there.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Nope. You've lost me there.

Luddites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite
Quote:

The Luddites were a radical group of English textile workers and weavers in the 19th century who destroyed weaving machinery as a form of protest. The group was protesting the use of machinery in a "fraudulent and deceitful manner" to get around standard labour practices.[1] Luddites feared correctly that the time spent learning the skills of their craft would go to waste as machines would replace their role in the industry.[2] It is a misconception that the Luddites protested against the machinery itself in an attempt to halt the progress of technology. Over time, however, the term has come to mean one opposed to industrialisation, automation, computerisation, or new technologies in general.[3] The Luddite movement began in Nottingham and culminated in a region-wide rebellion that lasted from 1811 to 1816. Mill owners took to shooting protesters and eventually the movement was suppressed with military force.

Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:59 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's really being short-sighted? Wink

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:51 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
c_dug wrote:

A drone can gently place a package within a safe enclosed space or doorstep and depart before your average lowlife realises it was even in the area.

I'm no expert, but the thought of swarms of drones buzzing around major cities delivering millions of packages a year seems impractical to me - small autonomous vehicles seem a more likely scenario - and opening that up to two wheels rather than restricting it to four seems smart for smaller vehicles.

In terms of the end process - maybe a small drone locally, maybe a smaller autonomous robot, or a walking robot of some sort. Maybe people will be happy collecting from the vehicle. Somebody will work it out, I'm not an inventor, just a sceptical onlooker when it comes to flying drones.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:08 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
I'm no expert, but the thought of swarms of drones buzzing around major cities delivering millions of packages a year seems impractical to me - small autonomous vehicles seem a more likely scenario - and opening that up to two wheels rather than restricting it to four seems smart for smaller vehicles.

I don't know. With all the moped crims around and youtube videos of parcel thefts... I don't think such a thing would work due to too many losses either from theft or vandalism. Something that is flying I suppose it a whole lot less vulnerable to such things.

Mobike in Manchester just pulled out as they were losing 20% of their bikes a week.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed they've managed to add it to a normal bike (normal but probably with big gyros on those panniers) and quite like the little flick it gives with the bars when coming to a stop with the stand.

Afraid I have to agree with others in that I see little real use for it. Apart from doing handstands and stunts on it that is.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:12 - 12 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one look forward to sports without humans. Robot football, F1, Moto GP. Brilliant.

choogh
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:57 - 13 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm, robot football, will they be able to spit and gob like the humans ? 😂
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 198 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1