Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW 1200 GSA RC ticking noise * FIXED*

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

JS2nelson
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:23 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: BMW 1200 GSA RC ticking noise * FIXED* Reply with quote

Good Morning everyone.
I’m posting this because I’ve scratched my head over my ” dreaded RC ticking noise” for quite some time. And like most of you I’ve discovered endless advise. Changing oils, Adjusting valves, Adjusting the rocker arms, replacing the cam chain tensioner , Even the advice that the load ticking is just a BMW thing. FALSE!. So here it is folks. Fixed and very unusual. It had my mechanic stumped but thanks to his persistence it’s fixed .
1st He started by replacing the cam chain tensioner. This is usually the fix. Not that uncommon and inexpensive. Parts and Labor $120.
HOWEVER the ticking was still there.
2nd. After lot’s inspections He found it. Hidden and hard to see unless you’re looking for it The Push rod bucked was cracked completely around it leaving a cap and the broken collar to rattle around. The fix was to obviously replace that bucket. He then replaced the other one and the pushrods. Total cost was $650. There was a lot of shop time in there just recovering the problem .
*** Here is the Holly cow. One day after my fix another BMW came in. the guys said he’s never been able to fix a ticking noise it the RC. The Mechanic when to work quick and there it was . Broken push rod Bucket. *****

I HOPE THIS HELPS Many of you

Side note. Speculation as to why? Many bike will sit on their side stand leaving the RC on the high side. Many of us Start our bike while still in the side stand. Perhaps over time this causes repeated Dry starts for the RC causing the push rod buckets to fail.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:01 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It si vey good when people post the gfoxes for whagt eve has happened but I doi not jhave a bike ;like ypourds at the mpoment., I did have a Russiamn omne ehich was a cpoy when the rUssuinas stoler the plansafgter the war, WWII that is, but it is the same as BMW. All the bits are same same but rather more "agricuyltural" an the ur makinhg Smile_ :@)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never buy another BMW. (I've owned four only two with me now.)

They are built like shite.

Intricate use of the wrong materials in the wrong place and ineffective protection against stuff generally found on the outside of the showroom or the owner's garage.

A new BMW will NOT last two UK Winters without beginning the rapid process of dissolving.

You were fortunate to manage to wear out an internal part before any of the external parts rotted away.

Shite.

And BMW are shite too.

(Side Note: The cars are 100% better.)

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:38 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
It si vey good when people post the gfoxes for whagt eve has happened but I doi not jhave a bike ;like ypourds at the mpoment., I did have a Russiamn omne ehich was a cpoy when the rUssuinas stoler the plansafgter the war, WWII that is, but it is the same as BMW. All the bits are same same but rather more "agricuyltural" an the ur makinhg Smile_ :@)

Rouy kyebraord si fckued.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Shite.

And BMW are shite too.

I agree with everything you've said, except the bit in bold.

As somebody who spends a lot of my time (and even more of my customer's money!) fixing them, I can tell you they aren't.

Wouldn't have one as a present.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:36 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
MCN wrote:

Shite.

And BMW are shite too.

I agree with everything you've said, except the bit in bold.

As somebody who spends a lot of my time (and even more of my customer's money!) fixing them, I can tell you they aren't.

Wouldn't have one as a present.

I've used hundreds of vehicles and the BMW I have now is excellent compared to many.
Jap cars are good but they don't ride our UK roads as well as the Bosch cars do.

It was all part of the master plan of 1932. The invasion of UK was reliant on Gerry making cars that could negotiate our British roads.

But I will take your word for it. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1