BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Anybody had a Yamaha SR400?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One danger with the SR400 is that you're going to be lumbered with it, and that's where real buyer's remorse sets in. If you've spent three and a half bags on a bike, and - for whatever reason - have to try and punt it on, you might find yourself stuck in a very protracted process. I think I've only seen a single one of those bikes this year, and have probably even clapped eyes on a three or four in the past five years. They aren't selling well as new items, and there's not a great deal of evidence there's going to be a lot of interest from buyers looking for used ones.

This is where the cb500 comes in. You'll probably always be able to get rid of it and lose that much on it.

But - then again - it seems likely to me that you'd buy an SR400 and enjoy it for a few years. It's not going to need a lot of commitment in any department (apart from cleaning), and it's the kind of bike you'll be able to get around on without much drama.

All I can personally say is that looks used to sway me, and now they're towards the bottom of my criteria. You can't see 'em when you're on 'em, and for me that's the only time that really counts for anything.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 09 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my EFI Enfield. It keeps my KTM to a twice a year thing.

Good club supporting them. Easy home servicing. Good two up. It's a great bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BusterGonads
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:18 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
One danger with the SR400 is that you're going to be lumbered with it, and that's where real buyer's remorse sets in. If you've spent three and a half bags on a bike, and - for whatever reason - have to try and punt it on, you might find yourself stuck in a very protracted process. I think I've only seen a single one of those bikes this year, and have probably even clapped eyes on a three or four in the past five years. They aren't selling well as new items, and there's not a great deal of evidence there's going to be a lot of interest from buyers looking for used ones.

This is where the cb500 comes in. You'll probably always be able to get rid of it and lose that much on it.

But - then again - it seems likely to me that you'd buy an SR400 and enjoy it for a few years. It's not going to need a lot of commitment in any department (apart from cleaning), and it's the kind of bike you'll be able to get around on without much drama.

All I can personally say is that looks used to sway me, and now they're towards the bottom of my criteria. You can't see 'em when you're on 'em, and for me that's the only time that really counts for anything.

This is all very good common sense Trevor. Thanks. You are right in saying you can't see it when you're on it.

arry wrote:
I love my EFI Enfield. It keeps my KTM to a twice a year thing.

Good club supporting them. Easy home servicing. Good two up. It's a great bike.

I'm quite tempted by the Enfields Arry, but I kow someone who has one which he now more or less keeps as a museum piece. It has cost him a fortune in tuning, broken oil pump drive (and consequent engine destruction) and particularly in sprague clucthes for the starter. It isn't an EFI though. I know they have a new engine nowadays which is nowt to do with the old Brit copy engine, but a sort of lookalike one. I hear they are more reliable. Are all the EFI ones teh new engine, or did they try injectors on the old engine? Probably not, I'm thinking. It wouldn't make much sense.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:44 - 30 Nov 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a '75 SR500 for a while, it had been chopped up quite a bit, was running total loss ignition and felt like a pushbike. Took me a month to learn to start it but once I had the knack it was first kick every time. Very enjoyable experience, despite not doing more than 80mph (indicated) it seemed to get there quick and light handling and upgraded suspension front and rear made it fun to throw around country lanes. When I came to sell, I started it first kick, the buyer had a go and couldn't start it, I started it first kick again. This went on for a while until he eventually put it on his trailer and drove off Laughing

.Chris.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 01 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really like an SR400, though I wish they'd make it with electric start! Kickstart only on a bigish single is a novelty that quickly wears thin.

A few years back I had a Suzuki GN400, which was Suzuki's equivalent to the Yamaha SRs in the early 80s. In many ways it was a lovely bike - small, light, just enough power to have some fun, looked good and made a nice noise. Unfortunately it didn't handle very well and had terrible 6v electrics. The engine also packed up so I decided to get rid instead of fixing it, probably wrongly in hindsight. The same sort of thing as a new, reliable bike really appeals, but the price of the SR400 when it was introduced here was just far too high for what it is.

Interestingly after Linuxyeti had posted the link announcing the end of SR400 production, the same website has news that they've restarted it with modifications to reduce emissions. I don't know if this means they've made it Euro 4 compliant, which if true might mean they start selling it here again (though of course they'd need ABS as well). That said last time Yamaha UK managed to sell all of 140 SR400s in about 4 years, probably because it was so expensive, so they might not bother.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2