Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which Way Forward??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:55 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Which Way Forward?? Reply with quote

Hi im currently riding a Yamaha YZF R125 and I do like it and im having fun upgrading/working on it etc... , but moving forward im thinking of saving for 2 years to be able to get a Triumph Daytona 675R but still doing my A2 next year and my Full License when im 24, but keeping the YZF R125, What do you guys think about this??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Which Way Forward?? Reply with quote

DAVEISTHENAME wrote:
Hi im currently riding a Yamaha YZF R125 and I do like it and im having fun upgrading/working on it etc... , but moving forward im thinking of saving for 2 years to be able to get a Triumph Daytona 675R but still doing my A2 next year and my Full License when im 24, but keeping the YZF R125, What do you guys think about this??

Not sure where the Daytona fits in to your plans, but I don't think the 675 can be restricted to A2 - too powerful, it'd need more than a 50% restriction. Or "restriction" if you prefer Wink

But yeah, apart from that, why not get rid of the L plates ASAP!

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:06 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Which Way Forward?? Reply with quote

What I mean is I will do my A2 Next Year but still continue to save and keep my current YZF R125 but once I pass my full license I will have enough money to buy the Daytona.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you now?

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:33 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Which Way Forward?? Reply with quote

21 atm im 22 in December

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a2 done asap.

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:34 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes im aiming for March/April next year

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not sooner? You could be passed by mid october and counting down the days to 675. Or riding the a2 version!

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:41 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Which Way Forward?? Reply with quote

Just money mate but I will get there.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Which Way Forward?? Reply with quote

DAVEISTHENAME wrote:

"I". "I'm". "Licence". How do you "upgrade" a YZF-R125? Anyway, yes, saving up for something is a good idea, and your YZF-R125 is quite usable for a while.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Which Way Forward?? Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
How do you "upgrade" a YZF-R125?

"Monster" stickers, if our locals lads are anything to go by Wink

But yeah, I would say get your A2 licence as soon as funds allow. And I'll bet that once you've tried a "restricted" A2 bike you'll think the YZF feels like a YBR in a pretty frock* and you'll get a hankering for something bigger ASAP.

*which it is, really Very Happy

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:13 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather irrelevent what bike you migt want in 2 years time.

One has to ask, whether you have an A1 licence oir merely CBT?

If CBT why?

You could, for price of test fees and less than a repeat CBT you'd need to sit it out for something bigger, do your A1 licence DIY, and experience and learning of doing will be as much or more than a DAS course to get an A2 or RWYL'A' A-N-D you get to put that learning and confidence into use right away not at some indeturminate point in the future whne you may have a bigger bike, that may be the one you think you want here and now....

Dont sweat the small-stuff... go get a licence sod the bike, that will come as it may and best laid plans of mice and men tend to go awry.... so get the licence, be sure you can ride anything... and if you have an A1, then A2 should be a breeze and get you eligible for RWYL'A' umpety months if not years sooner....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:35 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Which way forward Reply with quote

Yea I am getting my license but I'm saving for the bike as well ready for when I pass my full test

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the D675 is your trophy/pinnacle bike and I can see why the early D675's would be, then yeah keep on saving up the cash to realise your sexual dream bike.
Then get the full licence to ride it in its natural state ASAP. If that means you'll be 24 it's just over two years away which is nothing if you think about it. Don't even think of going near the D675 with a restrictor kit or we'll have to come round and cut you!

If you'll ultimately end up with a D675 and a YZF125R to share riding duties for the foresable then thats not a bad place to be IMO. Two bikes is always better than a scrimped and scraped bike purchase that your too afraid to use or damage etc. And I have a theory that multiple bike owners are less likely to keep bike surfing and changing bikes every couple of years or less to try something else or the next thing.

At your age I don't think A2 is for you, and unless you wanted a full beans A2 compliant bike, then I think riding any restricted bigger bike is like trying to have drunk sex with your clothes on, and is never satisfying.

I'd be riding and using the YZF and saving for the Triumph with any spare cash I had. But if you were doing ok on the saving and wanted to have some tinkering fun with the YZF, then I'd be 180cc converting the engine and buying a cam, exhaust and power commander. 20bhp is more fun than 15, and it would probably get the tinkering/modding thing out of your system too.

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:09 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Which way forward Reply with quote

Yea makes sense I think I will do my A2 to get Rid of L Plates .

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Which way forward Reply with quote

DAVEISTHENAME wrote:
Yea I am getting my license but I'm saving for the bike as well ready for when I pass my full test

Yeah.. what? There's THREE 'full' motorbike licences, and you dont need any of them to ride a 125...
So what licence do you or dont you have?
And if no A1, why 'save' why not just go book the theory for £30 or whatever it is these days, then when you have another £15, and the theory pass, book a Mod 1... do that, and Save another £75 you COULD have a dull licence.... THAT is all it costs to self book and do on the 125 you already have... and there's no 'practice' for test like taking them and better still passing them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DAVEISTHENAME
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Which way forward Reply with quote

I'm on CBT atm but if that's how A1 works then yea might do that

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 19:20 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Which way forward Reply with quote

DAVEISTHENAME wrote:
Yea makes sense I think I will do my A2 to get Rid of L Plates .

Doing A1 for under Under £150 would get rid of L-Plates!
Would also be good practice, and probably 'saving' on cost of A2 or RWYL'A' course.
Heck, do A1 self booked; do A2 via school, to get some saddle hours on a big bike, and put bike under your bum for tests; get RWYL eligibility after 2-years, probably before 24th birthday; get a nail of an od 500 for the few months until you can do RWYL'A', that with 45bhp is 3x as powerful as an R125; self book RWYL'A' again, turn up for them on old 500, de-restrict in the car-park and add L-Plates for test; and you are away... for likely less money, with as much 'bike' as licence allows at each stage along the way.
You want bike..... GET A FULL LICENCE!
There's no excuse NOT ro really, and poverty? Whan you are tooling about on what is one of THE mosty expensive to buy and run 125's there is? Really doesn't wash much!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef - stop ranting. It's old and boring, and no newbie needs your spittle laden diatribes.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Tef - stop ranting. It's old and boring, and no newbie needs your spittle laden diatribes.

I'm just thrilled he's posted 3 times already and we're not on the 3rd page.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef doès have a point. And, if the Dvsa change the upgrade from a2 to full bike, you may even be better off doing a2 asap. Btw wouldn't selling half go a long way toward another bike?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1