Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Tyre lever recommendations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:04 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Tyre lever recommendations Reply with quote

Ellopeeps.

Having picked up a glass shard in my front tyre and finding somewhere local on a Sunday that stocks a replacement tube, I've finally given the Enfield's levers from the toolkit a maiden voyage.

Chocolate.

Any recommendations for a decent pair/trio of levers?
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a pair of these,which from what I remember were about £6.30 each.They have plenty of leverage and when used together with rim protectors and tyre soap make the job of changing tyres so much easier.

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/0014614_michelin-type-tyre-levers-15-inch_300_zps0485af63.jpeg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These.
https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/motion-pro-beadpro-tire-bead-breaker-and-lever-tool-set.html

Not cheap, but they've more than paid for themselves.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried 450mm Drapers, some other desert spoon looking things. But the most success has been with 200mm RFX levers.

The bigger levers were far more of a PITA to get between the bead and the rim. The smaller levers did this much better and still provided more than adequate leverage.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some very cheap peices of metal called tyre levers. They work, but needed refinishing, as they had some sharp edges. I don't like things with a "figure of 8" cross section, they bite alloy rims.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 16 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzetti, the long ones. Never nipped a tube since getting them in 2001, still using them now I have tubeless tyres.

This is the one. Don't get the shorter version shown lower down. They don't have the little raised bump that helps when placing the lever between the tyre and rim.

https://www.adventure-spec.com/default/tyre-tools-buzzetti-professional-tyre-lever.html

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:15 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Buzzetti. I used to fit mousses to enduro bikes with them. Normal tubed, tubeless are easy.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:22 - 17 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found the poverty-spec approach of using G clamps at 120 degree intervals to be the easiest way of getting a tyre off. Ratchet straps will then allow you to compress the replacement tyre enough to stretch it over the rim of the wheel easily enough.

TigerWax
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 07:02 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of the MotioPro tyre levers arriving today which I've ordered after watching them in action on a couple of YouTube videos. I ordered them from dirtbikeexpress which is the cheapest place i could find them (well actually i originally ordered them from getgeared but they completely failed to tell me about the three week lead time to get them from their supplier...) https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/product/motion_pro_tyre_lever_bead_breaker_set

As I've read that its easier to do it with three levers i'm supplementing them with a 400mm one from wemoto https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ra-793824

I have two tyres to change asap as bike is off-road with two fucked tyres atm but I'll reply again after I've used them.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TigerWax wrote:
I have a set of the MotioPro tyre levers arriving today which I've ordered after watching them in action on a couple of YouTube videos. I ordered them from dirtbikeexpress which is the cheapest place i could find them (well actually i originally ordered them from getgeared but they completely failed to tell me about the three week lead time to get them from their supplier...) https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/product/motion_pro_tyre_lever_bead_breaker_set

As I've read that its easier to do it with three levers i'm supplementing them with a 400mm one from wemoto https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ra-793824

I have two tyres to change asap as bike is off-road with two fucked tyres atm but I'll reply again after I've used them.

They're good. I'd happily buy another set if I needed to replace these for some reason.

Just make sure you have something to protect the rim, as with any tyre lever. I use a cut up oil bottle, tough enough, but flexible.

TigerWax
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 00:16 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the irons arrived and they have been used successfully to remove an old Mitas tyre and replace with a brand new Michelin city pro: I couldn't get the bead to seat but I'll make a new topic about that in a bit.

Bearing in mind that I have now changed one tyre in my life (I guess you could argue that as I haven't inflated the tyre yet I'm still changing it) I have to say I like the motion pros: they aren't as thick as the Silverline one I ordered to supplement them but actually that was a benefit towards the end of getting the tyre on also the edges weren't as sharp either which is a plus. The fact they can be used to break beads is pretty cool and it worked on my tyre (although as we are talking about 125 tyres it's probably possible to break them by standing on them(?)).

Definitely do not regret the purchase.

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Just make sure you have something to protect the rim

Good shout! I ordered two sets of [url="https://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/ma-7220346"]these[/url] which have done the trick nicely

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:44 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: tyres Reply with quote

I tend to use only small short length tyre levers for bike tyres, for both removal and fitting, but i use a good tyre soap for removal in a good quantity, but a lesser amount for fitting. The tyres are fitted immediately they have been soaped as it can dry out quite quickly. I soap all the contact areas so they slip on hassle free.

I use short levers on the larger more stiff walled bike tyres taking very small bites of the cherry as i go. I have an old car wheel and tyre that the bike wheel sits in properly but does not prevent the bike tyre from sliding on well. The bike tyre tends to overhang the car tyre, which is inflated.

If you hear a ripping tearing sort of noise when fitting a tyre you have just fucked it !!

If you hear this sort of noise when inflating a tyre, RETREAT immediately, do not go closer to the tyre to try and find the noise, as it is about to fail in a dangerous way, ie blow off/out. It may kill you.

I can fit small bike tyres using on hands, thumbs mainly, just like fitting a push bike tyre.

Its about technique and porrage for breakfast.

Watch you tube with fitting ford model t tyres in the factory in the early part of the last century.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: tyres Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
If you hear a ripping tearing sort of noise when fitting a tyre you have just fucked it !!

If you hear this sort of noise when inflating a tyre, RETREAT immediately, do not go closer to the tyre to try and find the noise, as it is about to fail in a dangerous way, ie blow off/out. It may kill you.

There's a very good clip of that on ATS's website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=294Wu6O0uW0
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1