Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suspension for rider weight - How accurate?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Suspension for rider weight - How accurate? Reply with quote

Wondering if any suspension gurus out there could give me an insight as to how accurate you need to be with rider weight for rear suspension. Specifically, would it be bad to get a second hand rear shock that's sprung for an 80kg rider if I weigh 75kg? I do usually have a 2kg hefty D-lock under the seat anyway and a few other bits in a bag on the pillion seat which maybe adds another 1 kg. So nearer the suggested weight for the spring with that taken into account.
Seller says there's some leeway with settings.
Am I overthinking it or worrying too much about a few kgs that won't actually make a difference?
Any advice appreciated.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 18 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike what shock??

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:17 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not adjustable?
Setting up for weight is not something I'm familiar with. Every rider has a different riding style, some prefer a soft ride, me, I used to set the shock and forks for a real stiff ride, my mate hated it on the rare ocacasions he rode my machines.

If, for example, you weighed the same as Rossi and had him set up your machine, the likelihood is that you might not like the results, we aren't talking about setting a machine up for carrying a bag of spuds!
Experimentation is the only way you will find out what suits you best.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be ok if its for a 80kg rider, you wont be far off that with all your gear on.
What determines whether a spring is right for a riders weight is if you can get the required sag within the preload adjustment available.
For example, if you want 30mm of sag but even with the spring backed fully off you cant get it then you need a lighter spring, conversely with the spring wound fully down if there is too much sag you need to go heavier.
Having this set up correctly makes a massive difference. Most bikes rear suspension is a crude compromise where the shock has to work for all rider weights, carrying passengers etc and is usually oversprung to the point where the compression and rebound are overcome by the spring whereas in an ideal set up the spring is just there to give ride height and return the shock after compression.

OGR.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:58 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel tank empty to full would be 16Kg difference right there. I'd not worry about it being bang on a number, so long as it's in the general area, unless you're planning on competition racing.

If it's adjustable then you're going to have to dial it in anyhow.

Last edited by Hong Kong Phooey on 22:06 - 19 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total

AdamEf
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

The spring is for an 80kg rider without kit, but guessing it should be failry near. Not sure if it's set up for that weight with track or road riding in mind though. If road I'm sure it'll be fine. track may be a bit of a stronger spring?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1