Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Wet and dry vacs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Wet and dry vacs? Reply with quote

Anyone got any recommendations?

For hoovering dregs of water/oil/shit out of the bilges of an engine room, ash, dust and soot from a multi fuel stove and general hoovering.

I would like a relatively small one but can't see anything with half decent reviews and a half decent price.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lidl gave me one of their ash vacuum cleaners: https://www.lidl-service.com/static/197447381/275310_EN.pdf

I use it infrequently. It is good at what it does, but it's not often necessary and it's a pain getting it out, using it, emptying it and putting it away again. I use it for giving my woodstove a spring clean and cleaning my Rayburn (under the top plate/on top of the oven on which ash collects, and where the flue exits and soot falls down). Most of the time I just dump ash out of the ashpans into the green bin or refuse bin. The hose on ash vacuum cleaners seems very short.

If you've got a stove, you need a good hearth brush, made with bristle not plastic fibre. Get down to Goldings in the High Street, Bedford, and get a good one. They need support. You need a good hearth brush. Win-win. If you don't need a hearth brush now, you will do soon, so you may as well get one. I have no connection with Goldings, but the similar Pollards, also not far away in Fenny Stratford, closed which was a pity, so...

Lidl will probably have an ash vacuum soon for £30-ish. Aldi have one for £33 with free delivery. I'm sure others are available around this price.

I'd be inclined to have a separate machine for oily sludge, etc.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

been using a ozito one from homebase for two years for car cleaning

only used dry but says it will do both

keeps working anyway Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:34 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those one with the wee face on are almost bullet proof.

Henry.

https://youtu.be/qOb0RMvfQbg

I've pumped oot many a flooded aquatic exhibit in the house with a Henry.

Nilfisk is actually sweet kit.

Pressure washers are superb.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-Buddy-Vacuum-Cleaner-litre/dp/B019CXVFWW

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:39 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wet and dry, they are about £130.

We hire dozens of them out and have had no complaints.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:

An ordinary Henry might well blow up if you suck up wet.

What happened to the Henry Turbo (with the 24 electric brush)?

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:57 - 14 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Screwfix do some cheap, got one for drying out my car mats after a leak and also used on a log burner.

oily sludge would probably fuck it up though!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigTim wrote:
Screwfix do some cheap, got one for drying out my car mats after a leak and also used on a log burner.

oily sludge would probably fuck it up though!

I do wonder if I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. One that will do that shit and soot and ash without dying.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:33 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Fisty wrote:

An ordinary Henry might well blow up if you suck up wet.

Thats why I said a Henry wet and dry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:22 - 15 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tip for 'shed' vacuum cleaners - seal the end of the pipe when not in use.
I had a Henry machine which was used for metal shavings and shed mess. It didn't get used loads but was bloody great when it was.
I parked it up one Autumn day and it didn't get used till the Spring Time - I had to throw it out. A family of rats moved in via the end of the pickup pipe. The inside of the machine was safe, full of nesty bits and perfect for a family of rats, except, they decided to all die in there.
When I switched the vacuum cleaner on in the spring time I almost puked. Decomposed rat family fumes being thrown from the machine exhaust vent isn't nice. Nothing would remove that ded rat smell.
Just a warning that's all.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:00 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Wet and dry vacs? Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

For hoovering dregs of water/oil/shit out of the bilges of an engine room, ash, dust and soot from a multi fuel stove and general hoovering.

I would like a relatively small one but can't see anything with half decent reviews and a half decent price.

Have you thought of getting a slave? They're imported by the dozen apparently. Probably cheaper than vacuum, certainly if its a Dyson.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:13 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered. I actually built my own workshop vacuum cleaner once. I used a bin and made my own cyclone which fitted into the a wooden plate I made to fit on the top of the bin. The cyclone was made out of a pump sprayer bottle which by luck just happened to be the right cone dimensions (30 degrees). I used another vacuum cleaner to provide the suction. The only problem was the vacuum I was using wasn't really powerful enough to provide enough suck given the length of the hose to the bin and then the hose from the bin to actually hoover stuff up. I always meant to refine it by getting a more powerful motor and mounting it directly on the top plate but never got round to it. It did work though and would have coped perfectly well with liquids. In fact heavier liquids would probably be extracted in the cyclone better than lighter ones.

In fact the cyclone was probably over engineering. Just a bin with two holes drilled in at the top would do. One straight in the top for the suction from another machine and one in the top at the side but at an angle to get some cyclonic effect for the hoovering hose. Put a small baffle just after the hoovering hose to knock detritis and fluids downwards into the bottom of the bin as it enters.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Wet and dry vacs? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Have you thought of getting a slave? They're imported by the dozen apparently. Probably cheaper than vacuum, certainly if its a Dyson.

What the fuck are you talking about?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Re: Wet and dry vacs? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

WTF are you talking about?

He's a married man. He's the fucking slave. Rolling Eyes
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1