Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where have all the tourers gone?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

And arry is right - The shenanigans at Photobucket shouldn't be an excuse - if I can switch to another hosting site, so can others.

Which are you using?

Photobucket worked. I resized photos on PC in bulk, created online album, uploaded and shared. Everything happened very quickly and it worked well.
Then they forced charging and I tried other sites. Tinypic and imgur.
Very quickly gave up tinypic and imgur had a few issues that was the straw on the camels back.

Imgur:
- Appalling upload speeds evenings and weekends. I'd try uploaded 15-20 photos that were 500k each and it would take 20-30 minutes and often get stuck halfway.
- Could not order files by filename. This is nuts. Most photos are stored with dates+times as the filenames, so at its most basic it should sort by this and not upload time which fecks the ordering.
- Some of the images looked garbage, some weird stretching thing. Look fine on PC and on photobucket.

In the end, I'm considering paying photobucket because it works (or did do).

EDIT:

I too am old skool. I can't use Facebook (tried it and it just scrambles my little mind).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 19 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pay Photobucket!
I now use Postimage:

https://postimages.org

I find it every bit as easy as Photobucket was. Images are easily resized (I use the 800x600 option), and can be organised into separate 'folders', or just all stacked together.
So far, no issues with them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:27 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a bit long winded, but I use https://puush.me/ . It uses a sharex client, so you use the desktop app to select photos, then it uploads them to your https://puush.me/account then you can set them public/private and post them. Bit of a pain the arse... but you dont have to deal with any resizing/payment bollocks.

Flickr is also very good for just uploading and keeping albums with a nice display. Not so good for formatted forum posts though.

As for touring this year, we had a bloody good trip knocking around the French alps and French south coast in May. VERY glad we did it in May, missing the june/july death heat completely. I think we are going to try and stick to that from now on, going in May or Late August.

We went down to Croatia last year, and that was all just go go go, wanted something a bit more relaxed this year, more time to explore off the bikes. Not sure for next year, Ideas floating around of Scandinavian loop, Northern Spain, Czech republic/Austria/Slovenia.

A few pics from this year.
https://puu.sh/AIXKm.jpg
https://puu.sh/By4ul/940d3bb3c2.jpg
https://puu.sh/By4MN.jpg
Had so much fun chucking the SV around in the twisty roads, a lot of fun to really work the bike up and down the gears.
https://puu.sh/By4yP.jpg
https://puu.sh/By4x6.jpg
https://puu.sh/AIXKL.jpg
https://puu.sh/By4xZ.jpg

One of the best days, running south from a huge storm in the Alps, got to St.Tropez, realized it was a horrible touristy hell hole, got south of there to the next peninsula. Setup camp and walked for a hour to a nice little bay and floated in the sea with a beer! All worth hours of filtering and chaos getting there. Took about 1km of dirt roads to get a farmyard campsite, was surprisingly one of the fondest memories, just nailing it down dusty farm tracks to get to that place.
https://puu.sh/By4t2.jpg
https://puu.sh/By4GS.jpg

Changing our plans a bit though, we really want to get into doing the TET/TAT. So getting some dual sports is on the cards for next trip for sure. Currently trying to sort a house, after that hopefully changing out both Bikes. Divvy to a Fazer1k for road touring, Sv to a Tenere or Dr650 or Tet/trails.

Does anyone have a recommendations for Wales in a weekend? Ive only been to brecon on the bike, around a fair bit of Wales in the car. Trying to line up a weekend doing the best bits before this year is over.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:45 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm talkin bout! Good man Thumbs Up

Tdibs wrote:

Love that shot, the light, sky, mountains.

For Wales, must ride roads are in mid Wales.
A44 to Aberystywth, A483 from Crossgates (A44 junction) to Newtown.
Also, mountain roads in the region, B4518 from Rhayader to Llanidloes, and on past Llyn Clywdog, turn left for Dylife to Machynlleth, all good ones.

North Wales, B4391 from Llanfyllin to Bala, A4212 from Bala, and turn right onto the B4391 for Ffestiniog, all favourites of mine.

Many others, too numerous to list!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 17:14 - 20 Sep 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:16 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly I have given up long distance bike touring now. Crying or Very sad

A mixture of health and age has meant I can't do too long in the saddle and I'm finding my big tourers harder and harder manouever around.

I spend more time playing with boats and this isn't a boat forum so I don't post my excursions up the Thames or the Trent Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Sadly I have given up long distance bike touring now. Crying or Very sad

A mixture of health and age has meant I can't do too long in the saddle and I'm finding my big tourers harder and harder manouever around.

I spend more time playing with boats and this isn't a boat forum so I don't post my excursions up the Thames or the Trent Laughing

Sorry to hear it Polarbear, but at least you've found something else to occupy your time and keep you happy.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:08 - 20 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silky is on a big trip, he already has tales to tell.

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:12 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a week in the Pyrenees in July this year - a write up is on my to-do list, I've just not managed the time yet. This has reminded me. I'll get to it...!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

derillius24 wrote:
I spent a week in the Pyrenees in July this year - a write up is on my to-do list, I've just not managed the time yet. This has reminded me. I'll get to it...!

Cool, looking forward to it.
I'd still like to explore the French side of the Pyrenees a bit more.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 21 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm three and a half months in, Canada, America and now Vietnam. Tbh there's not much point in ride reports - it's not like it used to be on here, and fucked if I'm documenting the last 13,000 miles, I just chuck the odd pic on Instagram.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:29 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're still touring and did 3 weeks in Europe earlier this year. Nothing really outstanding to write about to be honest. A couple of decent days in the Dolomites and some nice roads in eastern Austria and that was about it. I'm usually fairly pedantic about getting a lot of decent roads in the route but I just didn't plan worth a shit. Too much about the destinations and not enough about the journey. I won't make the same mistake next year. Planning on going back to Spain next year but possibly not on the FJR.
I've done a few wonderful, long days around North and West Scotland on the V-STROM which continues to impress. As usual, I don't stop often enough to take photos....

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you want to ride fun roads when you go touring, but it seems a bit of an expensive way to get just those kind of kicks. For me, destination is at least as big a part of it. And I want to come home with a good photographic record of it, because I might never get a chance to do it again. I still get a kick out of looking through the photos I have taken on my travels, and the threads I made here about them I find to be a great way to relive them. And I want to keep adding to those memories too... Sad

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dnm8GvOX0AA8VKn.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Which is why I did everything from planning to actually going on my last two tours alone.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:12 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Of course you want to ride fun roads when you go touring, but it seems a bit of an expensive way to get just those kind of kicks. For me, destination is at least as big a part of it. And I want to come home with a good photographic record of it, because I might never get a chance to do it again. I still get a kick out of looking through the photos I have taken on my travels, and the threads I made here about them I find to be a great way to relive them. And I want to keep adding to those memories too... Sad

Sure destinations are important but having been to a fair few European cities over the years it all seems to be getting much the same. Old Town, Cathedral, Bars, Restaurants etc... Graz is much the same as Bratislava which is much the same Prague..... Ljubljana was great - wild otters in a beautiful city centre was a first.

Everyone has different ideas of what they want from their bikes and for me it's still very much about riding the road. I see money spent on riding good roads in better weather than I'm used to as money well spent. If I was going to these places to pursue a side interest such as hiking or birdwatching or photography I likely wouldn't go on a bike. I had one of the best days riding in over 40 years a fortnight ago. Me and my mate left at 6am and by 6pm had done 500 miles on wonderful highland roads. Great roads and 2 riders on the same wavelength the whole route. I do take the occasional photo but my important memories are in my head and they aren't things that can be captured in a photo or even a video. I've no real interest in photography and won't ride with people who stop at every turn to snap every view but each to their own.

If everything goes to plan, we're back to the Pyrenees next year. I just can't find anywhere better in Europe to ride my bike though what I have on my doorstep is fairly sublime Wink

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:16 - 22 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
^^Which is why I did everything from planning to actually going on my last two tours alone.

I gave up travelling serious distances with other bikes a long time ago.

I know, anti social old bastard! Do I care?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enduro Numpty wrote:
I've no real interest in photography and won't ride with people who stop at every turn to snap every view but each to their own.

Once I'm in the mountains, it's true, anyone with me would be driven to distraction by the number of times I stop to take snaps Laughing Mountains are in my soul, I can't help myself!

What I took to doing was spending enough time in the best places to have rides that were about scenery, then do the best bits of road again for pure riding enjoyment.
Places like the Black Forest and Vosges mountains were good for great riding without so many scenic distractions.
The region of Switzerland I visited had both, but short enough loops to ride the roads in question several times in a few short days, be lazy sitting outside cafes, take lots of mountain snaps, and still have time to cane it up and down the best stretches of 'riding' road.

Dave V4
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:32 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

went away with the good lady this year, 1st time away with a pillion and her 1st time in and around the Picos. Didn't do a huge amount of miles per day but we had a great time even though I had the shits for the 1st week, and spent our anniversary in bed lol
(but not in a good way) lots of pics taken but i'm not to good at these ride reports.
We took many of our destinations from recommendations from here and various facebook groups and hopefully we will do something similar very soon.
Looking at a bigger trip next year with a mate, hopefully taking in Auschwitz along with an Austrian/swiss alps treck on the return.
With any luck I might get the wife to go away again rather than a 2 week beach holiday, thinking of the dolomites.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got some good photos, a pictorial would be fine Thumbs Up

Dolomites and Austria are two I want to do (again, in the case of Austria, but only really did the Grossglockner last time there). More of the French Alps too.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 23 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One day I want to go touring around all the world war sites in northern Europe. Just myself. Hope one day to get the chance. Love seeing these touring threads. Much respect.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got back from a week in Normandy, but didn't take too many photos. This is the only one I took of the bike all week and this was just after getting off the ferry back in the UK Sad

https://i.imgur.com/v6e78Kh.jpg

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:00 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was your theme? Battlefields? Culture? Biking roads?

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Wasn't really a plan. Met the Mrs over there who was with a couple of friends and just followed them around to various towns and landmarks. Was my first time riding on the continent and was solo. I'll get a small diary up once I've got over my backlog of work.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/45e6b522f0a77c66f7b5dd2ee418b269/5C2D1EC0/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/41587293_504055913406017_3739942044908729188_n.jpg

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 24 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

winz wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Wasn't really a plan. Met the Mrs over there who was with a couple of friends and just followed them around to various towns and landmarks. Was my first time riding on the continent and was solo. I'll get a small diary up once I've got over my backlog of work.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/45e6b522f0a77c66f7b5dd2ee418b269/5C2D1EC0/t51.2885-15/sh0.08/e35/s640x640/41587293_504055913406017_3739942044908729188_n.jpg

Went there last year Cool

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Biking%20Abroad/20170705_104449_zpsfxwgz41f.jpg~original

Always have a 'Plan B'

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 25 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got lazy and couldnt be arsed writing my 2nd trip on the 125cc to scotland

will do it before christmas though lol!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3